Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Its been a long time since I played this game.I wanted to wait 1.22 but then saw the new tease posts abt next update so decided to wait for that instead.Should have been quite a few months and not sure if that update went live.Is there a estimate release date or is it just guesswork ?

Posted
7 hours ago, Veronica Hohenheim said:

Is there a estimate release date or is it just guesswork ?

In my experience, the devs don't really post estimated release dates, save for maybe when they're on the final RC candidate and about to release stable. Basically, updates are ready whenever they're ready, and how soon that is hinges heavily on how much content the devs are trying to shove in the update, how many bugs they have to squash in the process, and how much community drama they have to deal with during it all.

Aside from that, I will also note that based on what I've seen floating around, I'm not sure that 1.23 is a full overhaul of combat specifically, as much as it is just making some major changes to how the armor works. To be fair, that's no small change either, especially with some of the other goodies it could potentially come with, but I don't really expect the combat to be too much of a departure from the relatively simple system we have currently.

  • Like 1
Posted
22 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

In my experience, the devs don't really post estimated release dates, save for maybe when they're on the final RC candidate and about to release stable. Basically, updates are ready whenever they're ready, and how soon that is hinges heavily on how much content the devs are trying to shove in the update, how many bugs they have to squash in the process, and how much community drama they have to deal with during it all.

Aside from that, I will also note that based on what I've seen floating around, I'm not sure that 1.23 is a full overhaul of combat specifically, as much as it is just making some major changes to how the armor works. To be fair, that's no small change either, especially with some of the other goodies it could potentially come with, but I don't really expect the combat to be too much of a departure from the relatively simple system we have currently.

Given what I have heard on the Armor updates it's going to be pretty interesting. With all the stuff I see them teasing about I have no idea when the update will come out though. On Mastodon I know they have posted teasers for Horses and Mechanical Power Polishing.

Posted

Each update cycle usually starts with a long period of silent work in the background.

Then at some point, we get a public prerelease version, which will be highly unstable and not recommended to make actual serious playthroughs with. New prerelease versions tend to come fairly quickly after that as issues are fixed.

After a number of prereleases, we eventually get a release candidate build, which will be almost good enough. It will likely also update several times.

Then, finally, we will get a stable build as an official release (and then the post-release hotfixes and patches start).

 

Based on past experience, the time between the first prerelease and the stable build tends to be around two months. Meaning, as long as you're not yet seeing any prerelease builds, the update is at least two months away.

  • Like 1
Posted
17 hours ago, Veronica Hohenheim said:

Is there a estimate release date or is it just guesswork ?

With no official date, we can only estimate. The typical release cadence has been about 8-12 months between stable releases, with prerelease cycles lasting about 2-4 months, based on the last four major updates.

We are currently about 6 months after the release of 1.22 stable, and we have seen relatively few teasers for 1.23, which leads me to believe that the prerelease is likely still several months away, especially since the winter holiday season is getting close and it naturally tends to create delays. I would start anticipating the first 1.23 prerelease no earlier than late January, with a prerelease window closer to 2 months similar to 1.22 since it would be unimpeded by winter holidays.

Posted
2 hours ago, MKMoose said:

With no official date, we can only estimate. The typical release cadence has been about 8-12 months between stable releases, with prerelease cycles lasting about 2-4 months, based on the last four major updates.

We are currently about 6 months after the release of 1.22 stable, and we have seen relatively few teasers for 1.23, which leads me to believe that the prerelease is likely still several months away, especially since the winter holiday season is getting close and it naturally tends to create delays. I would start anticipating the first 1.23 prerelease no earlier than late January, with a prerelease window closer to 2 months similar to 1.22 since it would be unimpeded by winter holidays.

There are a few teasers on the Discord, so if you're not there, then it looks like there's nothing being updated, but Elvas is working on dungeon updates, Saraty is working on horses, and Nat... well, Nat made this:

image.thumb.png.c95ee851b3ba33c44fb527d42931d74e.png

Posted
11 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

Aside from that, I will also note that based on what I've seen floating around, I'm not sure that 1.23 is a full overhaul of combat specifically, as much as it is just making some major changes to how the armor works. To be fair, that's no small change either, especially with some of the other goodies it could potentially come with, but I don't really expect the combat to be too much of a departure from the relatively simple system we have currently.

While I wouldn't expect a huge overhaul, Tyron's June 2026 Development Update clearly describes plans that go well beyond an armor rework:

Quote

This it the big one. Believe it or not lads, the team has decided that Combat should be a focus for the next big update. Here's what we want to look into: Tighter, more visceral hit detection; More varied attack animations; Possibly rework of armor- and weapon tiers; A few more types of weapons; and more! The combat changes will be in good hands - we have Maltiez, author of the mod Combat Overhaul, on our team to advise us, we abducted the infamous SaltyWater to help us with animations and conveniently we just received new combat hit detection tech from the Glint team as they are also currently working on combat \o/

Also, based on this Discord message from Red Ram, it seems likely that we will see two-handed weapons:

Quote

This next update does actually have the potential to touch upon at least some inventory aspects, due to two-handed weapons and some other things.  We'll see.

 

3 minutes ago, Teh Pizza Lady said:

There are a few teasers on the Discord, so if you're not there, then it looks like there's nothing being updated, but Elvas is working on dungeon updates, Saraty is working on horses, and Nat... well, Nat made this:

So far, starting from the armor rework post, we've had ~11 teasers for 1.23 in #devlog since (counting multiple posts on the same feature as one teaser). For reference, 1.22 saw ~25-30 of them, although individually smaller. Granted, 1.21 had 5, I think, so it's not exactly a reliable metric.

Tsu has been working on mechanical power and new colliders other than AABBs, and the development update post mentions a number of other things which may or may not make it into 1.23, including several new plants, pets, inventory sound, and other stuff. Lore planned for 1.23 and possible changes to temporal storms have been mentioned in a relatively recent interview.

The main reason why I'm saying that there's relatively few teasers, though, is that we've seen almost nothing related to combat so far, beyond the armor rework survey which was explicitly focused on stylistic options and not gameplay. For an update focused on combat, it would seem natural to post at least a couple teasers related to combat prior to the prerelease, if only to build up anticipation for what is supposed to be the focus of the update.

Ultimately this is mostly just a guess, but a simple estimate between time passed and features planned tells me that a prerelease closer to the high end of ~10 months after the last stable seems more likely. October-November are not implausible but seem too early to me unless they're planning a long testing phase, and December seems highly unlikely due to winter holidays.

Posted
4 hours ago, MKMoose said:

With no official date, we can only estimate. The typical release cadence has been about 8-12 months between stable releases, with prerelease cycles lasting about 2-4 months, based on the last four major updates.

We are currently about 6 months after the release of 1.22 stable, and we have seen relatively few teasers for 1.23, which leads me to believe that the prerelease is likely still several months away, especially since the winter holiday season is getting close and it naturally tends to create delays. I would start anticipating the first 1.23 prerelease no earlier than late January, with a prerelease window closer to 2 months similar to 1.22 since it would be unimpeded by winter holidays.

Thanks for the breakdown. It's good to get a good idea on how updates have gone in the past. I can't wait for 1.23, but good to know I have some time to play my current run before the update comes out most likely.

I only just now got copper pick in my current run. I am currently exploring around seeing where I want to make my next base. Ideally I would like to make a Redwood Treehouse base, but I haven't actually found Redwoods while playing before, so I suspect i will have to travel pretty far south for to find them. My current base is a quick temp base set up near spawn. I am trying to go for more of a forest base since I am doing hunter because it feels fitting.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.