drifters spawning at night

ruddygibbers

just played the game for the first time learning the basics and struggling to survive .... then on top of that at night 5 drifters spawn on top of me lol....

i don't find it amusing having to hide in a tiny cave all night, nothing i can do just wait= not fun

i was hoping to find an option to disable them spawning but nope.

i undertand there need to be challenging content but having 5 mobs spawn on top of me while naked is not fun

fine if they guard some treasure and what not but having them spawn on top of me out of no where doesn't make sense

so i hope devs just get rid of them or give me an option to disable them.

• Wolf Bait 1

As you said, you have just started and are figuring out how to survive.  There are some simple ways to get by in the early game, but not knowing how will land you right where you are. Stuck waiting the night out in a cave surrounded by baddies.  And by the way, they spawn all the time in caves too, so they are not going anywhere at sunrise.

Find some flint or suitable loose stone and craft a knife. Cut some grass with it to make bales of hay that you can use to make a straw mat to sleep on. Put that in a cob or mud hut and sleep the nights away till you figure out how to deal with the things that go bump in the dark.

I wish you well. Once you learn the basics of primitive survival I think you will find the game quite enjoyable as well as sufficiently well balanced and challenging.  If you have any questions, fell free to shoot me a message if you like, or join the discussion on the VS Discord server. The community will be more than willing to give some pointers along the way.

~TH~

• Like 1

sure simple ways to get by like sleeping.

but what's the point on having night time if your not able to play?

i just don't like no sense mechanics in general like drifters magicaly spawning on top of me.

whats the story behind this? how do they know where i am? why have them spawn so close?

atleast stop them from spawning that close near my building?

In the game configs when you're making a world, there are options for mob aggressiveness.  I believe there's one option that makes drifters non-aggressive.  You can also change most of these settings after starting the world.  See this page of the wiki.  Specifically in this case, you're looking for /worldconfig creatureHostility [aggressive|passive|off]

• Like 1

It's possible to play during nighttime, you just need to secure fire and shelter that isn't a cave. That first night can be rough, but once you've got some flint spears and a firepit that can't get rained on, you're set to start worrying about starving to death and getting mauled by wolves.

• Like 2

Like redram already explained, you can set the creature hostility to "never hostile", and there's also a grace timer that can give you up to 10 days without monsters. Either change that in the world you already created or click on the "customize" button before you create a new world and choose what you like.

And light keeps them from spawning, so get some torches and later other stuff to keep them from spawning in your base.

The story behind the drifters? Find out more about them in the game or read some threads about them here in the forum.

15 hours ago, ruddygibbers said:

but what's the point on having night time if your not able to play?

You are. You just have to get some light and find things to do, like crafting or building.

• Like 2

Drifters won't spawn on you if you light you base enough with torches. You can biuild first dirt base above some water source and pan sand/gravel at  night, getting your first copper nuggets, because sleeping still takes away hunger that way not efficient way to start a game. Surface drifters are not most lethal threat you could face in this game. :) Wait till you meet wolfes and learn that water is your friend. :) Like others said, you can change settings for world you create making mobs passive. I think it is fine, while you learn game, but IMO if you take that part off from the game, there wouldn't be much left from survival later once you get your first copper tools.

Edited by Domkrats
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Natural caves are monster spawning areas regardless of the time of day, so don't take cover in them right off.

On day one, make a knife, collect reeds and expand your inventory asap.

Look around the map and look for existing ruins or for a place that looks inviting.  Dig into the sides of mountains and shore up with dirt blocks or make a shovel and make a quick and secure abode that you can work in during the night, and expand this home as you can.

Alternatively, if you don't like creepers in your world; there is a mod that removes them from the world.

I like the mechanic, as I come from a minecraft/7 days to die background; but I set the world config to 5 days before they show up because I'm a CHRONIC world deleter if I can't find a cool location before day 1 is over. 😃

I guess you play on a server? You shouldn't hop onto a multiplayer server in a survival game without knowing even the basics. Or you lowered days until monsters start spawning to 0 (from the default 5, this grace timer can be set real high, i think up to 99 days, too) and did the same for temporal storms (if that's the case why the complaint?).

Only in temporal storms drifters can spawn in midair or at the players position. Or in unstable regions, after your stability depleted too much, i guess, but why go underground in unstable regions on the first day? If you'd spawn in the region around tschernobyl more or less naked just with tattered clothing and a geigercounter (equivalent to the gear in the bottom middle of your screen), you'd not start running towards stronger radiation too, right? And even settle there? in earliest game the rule of thumb is, don't stay where the gear is depleting, run away from that area and don't go underground. Afterwards make a knife and an axe, get dry grass, firewood and sticks, craft a firepit, get torches, next get into panning for the nights or more crafting... survive...

You as a player start as clueless in your first new world as your character does, or you may have done some research before you bought the game, something you ALWAYS should do. You can find clues on what happened to the worlds over time, you have to try and err and think about how to do stuff. Find it out, don't expect the answers to be given to you (as we players all only have pieces of the puzzle, and many possible theories are out there), question the simple answers some might give you, and help completing this puzzle or just ignore the questions and survive.

Edited by Hal13

• 3 weeks later...

The mistake i was making when starting out, was looking for food. No, you want to start a fire, THEN look for food, because you NEED a torch. I also turned off loot dropping, because losing satiation is already a huge detriment. Honestly the food mechanic needs a little bit of a rework, starvation should be a debuff THEN losing health. That would make the first few days a little better for starting out while still being harsh. 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.