How would you change Temporal Storms?

Stroam

Many do not like temporal storms. This leads to it being turned off or people logging off servers when it happens. What changes would make players change their minds?

*Edit* Keep in mind that the storms are global so anything that is storm related is going to happen across an entire server, not just at a local area.

• Like 2

I think it is important to have them be engaging and interesting. Right now on servers you are "forced" into hanging around in a storm or logging out if others don't want to sleep through it. A few things:

- Have materials, blocks. entities you can only see during storms.
-Improve visualizations for them. It's cool that it is rust colored and like an ocean but take it a bit further, kind of how the Upside down is in Stranger Things.
-Maybe have quests/dungeons/ruins you can only see in the rust dimension
-Have some way to protect yourself in storms, some sort of fueled device that creates a "safety bubble" around it that can be upgraded - Maybe this can tie into the story with all the ruins

• Like 6

I have 3 main issues I can think of.
1. Fixing the "Waiting"
The main problem with temporal storms is that the obvious choice is to wait them out in a hole where monsters cannot spawn.
Unless you have monster-proofed your entire home (for example using slabs), you might not even be able to do idle tasks.
Thus being forced to wait in a hole, which is nothing but boring.

The player should be given the opportunity to at least to idle tasks in their home during a temporal storm if they have put in some effort to prepare.
We could have a static ward, perhaps a beacon or lantern which prevents spawning of temporal monsters during temporal storms in an enclosed room, or within x amount of blocks.
To make the wards more involved, they would need to be fueled. Perhaps by a new item "essence", which can be taken from dead drifters. Thus giving a neat oppurtunity to fight off drifters instead of trapping or avoiding.

2. Reward.
If people are going to have temporal storms turned "ON", then there needs to be some opportunity for reward. People are less likely to turn it OFF if they feel like they could be missing out on something.
For example, exclusive loot from temporal monsters, or crops harvested during temporal storms could have a chance of being temporarily corrupted. And if harvested during a storm would yield some exclusive item. Perhaps flax could yield temporal string used for some neat items?

3. Progression
In order for temporal storms not to feel stale, there should be some kind of progression related to them. We already have intensity of storms.
But the player needs something to look forward too. This could for example be the late game crafting of a permanent ward which disables spawning of- or weakens- temporal monsters in a bigger area.

Edited by Saphkey
  • Like 3
  • Amazing! 1

The problem with temporal storms right now is that they are just annoyances. Combat is not a fun activity in Vintage Story yet and even if it were, not everyone would be someone who enjoys combat gameplay alone. Since storms also have no rewards for surviving or engaging in them (other than higher temporal gear drop chances) and no real punishment for failing them, there is little incentive for the player hide or log of.

The fail-state of a temporal storm is also not very fun: You died and now you are even more likely to die again, since the storm still persists, but you lost some of your gear. I think that if a player dies, the storm should end for him, i.e. he should not be in the "Rust World" anymore, not seeing any drifter anymore. That would require a slight rework and instancing of mobs between the normal and "rust" world, which I'm not sure already exists with the current temporal stability mechanic. This prevents storms from becoming a spiral of death and unfun. To make dying however less of a desirable way to skip storms, dying during a storm should have special penalties, like lower health for a few ingame days.

There are two main ways players would probably want to engage with storms, either engaging in direct combat or otherwise avoiding direct combat. Better combat would make the engaging in direct combat more fun, but not the avoiding of combat. Players needing to avoid combat during temporal storms is not something that can be entirely prevented, since some players simply dislike combat gameplay altogether and players may not be properly equipped to be able to have a good chance in combat. Scaling difficulty could solve the second point, but that would potentially be hard to do without opening it up to easy exploits and would also undermine the different intensities of temporal storms. The best solution would be to significantly improve the non-combat way of surviving storms, making it more engaging, challenging and fun than the (what I'd personally rather consider as) exploits that are even outlined on the official wiki: Hiding in a box, pillaring, sleeping.

This could be done in a number of ways, my personal idea would be to extend temporal stability mechanics and integrate them into the storms. During a storm, the temporal stability of players should be constantly sinking. The normal effect of temporal storms would also need to be changed, drifters would still spawn in high amounts on the surface, but they wouldn't spawn so close to the player, that would now only happen if the players drop into low temporal stability during the storm. This can obviously be avoided by raised temporal stability by successfully engaging in combat and using temporal gears. When failing to raise temporal stability, the player should instantly or really quickly die at zero temporal stability. This will prevent players from hiding inside holes. The alternative to direct combat would be "base defense": Drifters and potentially other mobs would slowly try to get to the player, even through their bases. They would slowly "shift" blocks between them and the player, slowly turning invisible. During this process the player can repair the blocks to stop the process. However, once a block has been successfully shifted, it can't be repaired anymore and mobs can move through it. After the temporal storm, shifted blocks are restored to normal, so one could think of this as mobs "temporarily destroying blocks". Repairing would give back some temporal stability, the goal of the player is not to completely fortify against drifters but to actively defend against them to stay temporally stable.

Lastly, I think successfully surviving a temporal storm should be rewarded. I think something simple as giving the player three additional health points until they die would be appropriate, stacking up to three times, to a total of nine additional health points after surviving three temporal storms. Since they stack, players would be even more incentivized to survive additional storms to either keep their high additional health or gain it.

• Like 1
  • Amazing! 2

6 minutes ago, Erik said:

This could be done in a number of ways, my personal idea would be to extend temporal stability mechanics and integrate them into the storms. During a storm, the temporal stability of players should be constantly sinking. The normal effect of temporal storms would also need to be changed, drifters would still spawn in high amounts on the surface, but they wouldn't spawn so close to the player, that would now only happen if the players drop into low temporal stability during the storm. This can obviously be avoided by raised temporal stability by successfully engaging in combat and using temporal gears.

This reminds me of an idea I saw recently - something along the lines of a 'luxury' or 'sanity' mechanic, where having nice food or sitting in chairs or decorating your base gives you buffs that increase your maximum temporal stability or make it fall slower or whatever. If one way to avoid the danger of storms is to make your base nicer and more appealing, then that would appeal to more 'domestic' players that don't enjoy fighting stuff.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

If one way to avoid the danger of storms is to make your base nicer and more appealing, then that would appeal to more 'domestic' players that don't enjoy fighting stuff.

The problem with just that would be, that they would still be kinda forced to just wait for the whole duration of the storm. The aim of my idea was to give players something (repairing) to actively do during storms (that additionally rewards preparation and well designed bases) rather than combat.

Also, something completely different I forgot to mention: I don't think players should be allowed to skip storms by simply sleeping, so they shouldn't be able to sleep during the storm and be awoken when sleeping when a storm starts. I'm not really a fan of sleeping generally, since it generally allows the player to just skip any danger and at least during temporal storms this shouldn't be possible imo.

• Like 2

I like the idea of actively doing something to help out, but I like the thought of setting up magic/temporal wards more than repairing walls. Dashing around the base to keep weird Lovecraft effigies on fire or buffing other players through sacrificing drifter corpses they leave behind would be neat.

• Like 4

I feel that for storms to be truly enjoyable and engaging, they need to have a few things going for them:

• New and exciting challenges,
  • Mystery/exploratory elements,
  • A payoff for those that participate in (and not simply survive), a storm,
  • Visible impact/purpose in the game world.

I have mentioned in other forum threads how I like the idea of the Rust World as a shadowy, twisted, alternate-dimensional version of our own world that I hope we will eventually have the ability to cross over into it completely.  There we would find a rusted, decayed version of our world, taken over by whatever entity or forces that constitute and/or cause the "Rust" that is seeking to invade and corrupt our own via the mysterious temporal instability we encounter in various places.

In that world we would find other entities exclusive to the rust dimension, along with drifters that show up in our world; different materials;  unique, corrupted structures of various kinds; rusted, corrupted biome type areas, etc- a whole other world that has some similarities to our own, but full of new mysteries and dangers. (Perhaps ruins in our world have some special significance in the Rust world?)

Currently, during temporal storms, we see this other world edging it's way into ours but with no new features- just a rusty, dark world with insanely high spawn rates for drifters, twisting the fabric or space and time and edging it's way into our reality. Creepy and difficult, but that is about it.

I say this to set up the backdrop for some suggestions on how I'd like to see storms work. Some of these suggestions bleed over into thoughts on temporal instability in general and the greater struggle in the world.  I don't think that the issue with storms can be fixed without addressing the whole subject of temporal instability, the rust world, it's creeping into ours at times, and our whole role to play in this conflict.

• First, I want to suggest encountering new entities. 
    Fighting drifters is fine, but in that other world we should encounter new threats. During the chaos of storms those new threats find their way into our world.
  • The Rust World contains different resources- corrupted block types perhaps, terrain, structures, etc.
    During storms we should be able to see these things, and maybe have the chance to acquire some of them and keep them under the right conditions.
  • Temporally stable zones. 
      Some players simply don't want to participate in storms, but would like to stay online and doing things. I'd like to see a way for a player to be able to make their home "temporally stable", even during storms. Do this by requiring the acquiring of some item or resource from the Rust world that can be used along with temporal gears to craft a stability device one can place that renders a radius around the device stable at all times.  This device could be upgraded and might need to be maintained. Enough devices in an area could theoretically render a town or city safe from temporal storms.  As an added bonus, these devices could also be placed in areas of regular temporal instability to stabilize the area around them.
      Perhaps resources acquired from the Rust world during temporal storms can only be kept if transported back to a temporally safe zone during the temporal storm.  If not carried to and kept in a stable zone till the storm is over, the items disappear from inventory when the storm fades.

Sort of a big suggestion here: Allow for crossing into the Rust world. 

•   During a storm we would see new entities from the Rust world appearing in our own. These entities would have a chance to drop a new item- corrupted gears.  These would basically be corrupted temporal gears. When a player acquires one they can right click use it as when using a temporal gear to set a respawn point. When the corrupted gear breaks, a server wide message appears saying "[player name] has crossed over...", and the player disappears from the world and crosses over to the rust world.
  •   At that point, all the wonkiness fades from the screen and the player is in the Rust world. No damage is taken since they are no longer between worlds- they have crossed over.
  •   Breaking the corrupted gear set a spawn location in this new world for that player. Acquiring and breaking a new corrupted gear while in the Rust world sets a new re-spawn point in the Rust world. 
  •   Players can move about and explore this new world at will, but it would be a dangerous place. Resources in the world would include all the normal-world resources as well as the new Rust-world content, and appropriate new recipes for new items craft-able with the new content.
  •   All drifters would still spawn in the Rust world and drop normal temporal gears. To leave the Rust world, acquire and break a normal temporal gear. When this is done, you leave the Rust world and re-spawn in the normal world at your normal world's set spawn point.  All items acquired in the Rust world that are in your inventory transfer to the new world with you.
  •   Some items from the Rust world, such as Rust-world building blocks and other Rust-world items/resources, would carry with them some residual corruption and instability. Placing and/or building with too many of these corrupted items leads to temporal instability over a wide area in the normal world. Having stability devices in place would mitigate some of that, but placing too many corrupted blocks or items would eventually bleed into the world in spite of the devices.
  • One can return to the Rust world only by breaking a corrupted gear during a temporal storm, or by breaking a corrupted gear when the player is crossing over into the Rust world due to high instability.  If you already have a spawn point set in the Rust world, breaking a corrupted gear during a storm or times of low personal stability places you in the Rust world at your previously set Rust world spawn point.

I'm glad to see this topic raised. I'm personally of the opinion that the next major update needed for the game should be a combat update, of which I think addressing this issue should be a major part.

Humbly but enthusiastically submitted for consideration...
~TH~

• Like 9

I like a lot of the aforementioned ideas here, particularly:

• Increased loot drops from monsters
  • Unique loot / items only available during storms
  • Unique enemies only encounterable during storms
  • New mechanics to help ward off / protect against storms
  • Disable sleeping during storms

Now for what I think could be good additions to storms:

• Have monsters not randomly appear around you, but have "rifts" spawn before the monsters to indicate where the monsters are going to be coming from
    • Have small particle effects indicate where rifts will be opening before the storm starts
    • This would give players an opportunity to shore up their defenses before the monsters come
    • It also could lead to more interesting mechanics to deal with the "rifts"
      • Have some sort of "energy" that could be harvested from said rifts to fuel other potential temporal technologies
      • Have a consumable that you can craft to seal individual rifts (a band-aid solution to stop mobs from spawning in your house)
      • Have some kind of technology to prevent rifts from opening in a small radius (a more permanent and more expensive solution to stop mobs from spawning in your house)
  • Later you could potentially figure out how to open your own rift to start a storm whenever you want
  • There could be conditions for weaker or more powerful rifts to spawn
    • Low stability zones could have bigger and stronger rifts with more monstrous opponents and higher rewards

And this is a little off topic but some ways to make the monster combat more fun and engaging:

• Give monsters something to do other than run at you and try to swing on you
    • Some drifters could have a "charge" or "leap" attack that has a telegraphed windup, or even just a more powerful swing that takes longer to come out
  • During the windup phase have something the player can do to momentarily stun or interrupt them
    • Let players also do a charged attack, but during the windup if they're hit they also get interrupted
      • (Or let players have some sort of interrupting strike that's weaker than a normal swing)
  • This would reward players for focusing on enemies intentions and reacting accordingly
    • Would also make engaging multiple drifters more difficult as you would have to divide your attention and it would be harder to kite them

thank you for listening to my ted talk

-Clancy

Edited by Clancinnatus
  • Like 5
  • Amazing! 4

44 minutes ago, Clancinnatus said:

Now for what I think could be good additions to storms:

• Have monsters not randomly appear around you, but have "rifts" spawn before the monsters to indicate where the monsters are going to be coming from
    • Have small particle effects indicate where rifts will be opening before the storm starts
    • This would give players an opportunity to shore up their defenses before the monsters come
    • It also could lead to more interesting mechanics to deal with the "rifts"
      • Have some sort of "energy" that could be harvested from said rifts to fuel other potential temporal technologies
      • Have a consumable that you can craft to seal individual rifts (a band-aid solution to stop mobs from spawning in your house)
      • Have some kind of technology to prevent rifts from opening in a small radius (a more permanent and more expensive solution to stop mobs from spawning in your house)
  • Later you could potentially figure out how to open your own rift to start a storm whenever you want
  • There could be conditions for weaker or more powerful rifts to spawn
    • Low stability zones could have bigger and stronger rifts with more monstrous opponents and higher rewards

Sounds a lot like you've also played a game called Wurm, or this is just a wildly uncanny coincidence of a suggestion. ;)

In another post I suggested that temporally unstable areas occasionally have a sort of mini storm that are localized, and that have an objective at their epicenter that players can endeavor to deal with to close the storm out and perhaps stabilize the region for a time.  Your suggestion of a "rift" type event would pair nicely with that. These could also happen very rarely in areas that are normally stable, just to spice things up. 

Not sure how the idea works for a "global" sort of temporal storm though, unless you are suggesting that temporal storms are no longer global events.

• Like 4

The problem with temporal storms, is that they are a little out of place. In a game like 7 days to die, you have the blood moon, and the zombies can cause your base to collapse. In vintage story, you have this calm survival game with this weird base defense element where "OOOPs the monsters magickly get into your house!!!" it's annoying. if this was a base defense game, then it would make sense, but it's not, so i am not sure what i am supposed to be doing to prepare for this. 

So the big question that hits: why be in the temporal storm? Rustworld is there to limit going deep, is a temporal storm there to limit playing the game? Currently there is no benefit to them, it's just an arbitrary hassle. It breaks the loop, and sometimes in a not fun way. It looks cool, it breaks things up, but is it fun, and is there a fun reason to be in them? 

So how can they be beneficial? one proposal i have is that instead of getting experience from doing things in the world, you get experience from the gear spinning while you are awake. Suddenly the temporal storm and rust world are no longer punishment's, but how you get stronger. you collect temporal energy and you can spend them on things like health, jumping, or harvesting increases. This works well for both early game and end game, as it does not punish you for being weak, and encourages you to be in storms. These should be combat abilities so that way if you play on peaceful, then you won't need them. Also you can improve the pvp element by allowing players to take temporal energy from another player when they kill them. So you get this crazy energy vampire mechanic.... 

This also solves a progression problem, as you now have a means to get stronger, and it removes grinding. Now you have a reason to be in the storm, and if you have the enemies drop energy, or give a bonuses for each one killed during the storm you now have a reason to fight in them too. No longer are you standing on a nerd pole in a pit. you are actively killing things for power. 

The problem with special items and drops, is that if you don't need them then you are punished for playing the game with  storms. 

Temporal storms are this big in game event, yet there is nothing to look forward to with them. There needs to be that hook where you look forward to these instead of wanting to avoid them. You can only go so far with special items until you have too many of them. So collecting energy from the storms is something that a makes sense, and would be accessible to all players in a multiplayer server.  

Otherwise, we need a means to avoid them completely. Either with a crafted clock that is a no spawn zone, or a means to build a proper shelter to avoid them. The issue with that is it only works in single player, and then why have storms on? 

Edited by AngryRob
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Thalius said:

Sounds a lot like you've also played a game called Wurm, or this is just a wildly uncanny coincidence of a suggestion. ;)

Just a coincidence! I'm not familiar with Wurm I'll have to look it up.

3 hours ago, Thalius said:

In another post I suggested that temporally unstable areas occasionally have a sort of mini storm that are localized, and that have an objective at their epicenter that players can endeavor to deal with to close the storm out and perhaps stabilize the region for a time.  Your suggestion of a "rift" type event would pair nicely with that. These could also happen very rarely in areas that are normally stable, just to spice things up. 

Not sure how the idea works for a "global" sort of temporal storm though, unless you are suggesting that temporal storms are no longer global events.

My idea was more of a modification for current global storms:

• It wouldn't be a single rift but several smaller ones; maybe more rifts would open with higher difficulties, or harder monsters would spawn from them on higher difficulties
  • You would get a message that a storm is incoming, and with it there would be multiple particle effects that show where rifts will spawn in an area around the player
    • I picture little pulsing temporal blue dots that when they spawn it would open like a big crack in space
    • (And if there are multiple players online; players that aren't close enough to another player will spawn their own set of rifts)
  • When the storm starts monsters would not spawn around the player but randomly from those rifts
    • This would also allow people wishing not to engage to continue to do idle tasks like cooking and such (as long as a rift doesn't appear in their shelter; then you've got a problem)
2 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

Does that mean if I make a wizard tower in an unstable area, I can sit there and seethe with temporal power?

I love that idea; maybe to harvest the energy you can set up a big tesla coil, or like a lightning rod that would absorb temporal energy during the storms.

2 hours ago, AngryRob said:

a crafted clock that is a no spawn zone

I would love to make a big grandfather clock with temporal gears in it that mitigates the effects of the storm. (Maybe even a cuckoo clock ;) )

Edited by Clancinnatus

I personally like the way global temporal storms currently look and work, I just think they lack purpose, new challenges and incentive.  Those were the things I aimed to address with my suggestion. 

I hope storms remain close to what we see in the game right now, just with a greater place in the game's overall story.  I have to imagine that Tyron and the gang have something greater in mind to build onto them.  They are a pretty intense part of the game play right now, and I have a hard time seeing the global storms go away, and don't want to see them change much in the way they function, just with new elements added to them.

[ As a side note:
We did turn storms off on our server, but not because we did not enjoy them. (Many on our server don't enjoy them, to be fair, but there is a decent group of us who do! The Wilderlands server is meant to be hard, so we tend to attract players that enjoy the challenges the game affords, one of which is the storms. ;) ). 

We had to turn them off though, because we had a few players that learned to afk mass farm drifters during storms via pit traps with spikes and glitch-spears and such. One of our players once afk killed nearly 200 nightmare drifters during a heavy storm with such a pit trap. That is a lot of free loot at absolutely zero risk.

I can't fault players for taking advantage of the current mechanics, but it was unbalancing our server economy. I could not find a way to mod drifter behavior around the problem, and so storms, therefore, had to go for the time being.

One solution would be better drifter ai. Silly things need to quit stepping off of cliffs and into holes and such if the drop is too far, and they should be able to climb a bit to get out of shallower pits that might have damage inducing blocks on the floor. This would mean recognizing the edge of a block even if it is a chiselled block or open trap door, and having ai that steers them off of blocks that are hurting them and allowing them to climb out of holes that their ai allows them to drop into.

All of this is not an issue related to storm mechanics though- this is all an entity ai problem. ]

• Like 3

On 6/30/2021 at 12:41 PM, Stroam said:

*Edit* Keep in mind that the storms are global so anything that is storm related is going to happen across an entire server, not just at a local area.

You make it sound like they're always going to be global, forever. Some VS worlds get real big, I'm not sure I see the strengths of global storms over localized ones.

15 hours ago, Clancinnatus said:

I heard a similar rift idea before, although a long time ago, before temporal storms existed, shortly after Drifters were first added to the game in 2017, from Saraty (VS Lead Modeling and Texturing Artist). It was originally planned for Drifters to eventually not spawn randomly based on lighting anymore, but appear out of warped portals that occasionally appear on the surface. Since the spawning mechanism still hasn't changed, it could be that this idea was scrapped.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Erik said:

I heard a similar rift idea before, although a long time ago, before temporal storms existed, shortly after Drifters were first added to the game in 2017, from Saraty (VS Lead Modeling and Texturing Artist). It was originally planned for Drifters to eventually not spawn randomly based on lighting anymore, but appear out of warped portals that occasionally appear on the surface. Since the spawning mechanism still hasn't changed, it could be that this idea was scrapped.

Or that the 1.5 coders working on the game haven't gotten to that one on the to-do list yet. 

That sounds like a more advanced feature than some of the basics they're still working on (boats?)

Reward players instead of punishing them, that's what makes games great! 🤩

On 7/2/2021 at 7:51 AM, AngryRob said:

The problem with temporal storms, is that they are a little out of place. In a game like 7 days to die, you have the blood moon, and the zombies can cause your base to collapse. In vintage story, you have this calm survival game with this weird base defense element where "OOOPs the monsters magickly get into your house!!!" it's annoying. if this was a base defense game, then it would make sense, but it's not, so i am not sure what i am supposed to be doing to prepare for this. 

So the big question that hits: why be in the temporal storm? Rustworld is there to limit going deep, is a temporal storm there to limit playing the game? Currently there is no benefit to them, it's just an arbitrary hassle. It breaks the loop, and sometimes in a not fun way. It looks cool, it breaks things up, but is it fun, and is there a fun reason to be in them? 

So how can they be beneficial? one proposal i have is that instead of getting experience from doing things in the world, you get experience from the gear spinning while you are awake. Suddenly the temporal storm and rust world are no longer punishment's, but how you get stronger. you collect temporal energy and you can spend them on things like health, jumping, or harvesting increases. This works well for both early game and end game, as it does not punish you for being weak, and encourages you to be in storms. These should be combat abilities so that way if you play on peaceful, then you won't need them. Also you can improve the pvp element by allowing players to take temporal energy from another player when they kill them. So you get this crazy energy vampire mechanic.... 

This also solves a progression problem, as you now have a means to get stronger, and it removes grinding. Now you have a reason to be in the storm, and if you have the enemies drop energy, or give a bonuses for each one killed during the storm you now have a reason to fight in them too. No longer are you standing on a nerd pole in a pit. you are actively killing things for power. 

The problem with special items and drops, is that if you don't need them then you are punished for playing the game with  storms. 

Temporal storms are this big in game event, yet there is nothing to look forward to with them. There needs to be that hook where you look forward to these instead of wanting to avoid them. You can only go so far with special items until you have too many of them. So collecting energy from the storms is something that a makes sense, and would be accessible to all players in a multiplayer server.  

Otherwise, we need a means to avoid them completely. Either with a crafted clock that is a no spawn zone, or a means to build a proper shelter to avoid them. The issue with that is it only works in single player, and then why have storms on? 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:31 AM, l33tmaan said:

You make it sound like they're always going to be global, forever. Some VS worlds get real big, I'm not sure I see the strengths of global storms over localized ones.

I would love to see a moving storm, something ominous on the horizon, that has weird monsters that roam in it. Maybe even give the nasty ones names? 

On 7/2/2021 at 12:53 AM, l33tmaan said:

Does that mean if I make a wizard tower in an unstable area, I can sit there and seethe with temporal power?

That could be fixed by increasing the hunger. The longer you are in it, the hungrier you get. So now you have to eat like Goku to keep gaining power. This would force you to take a rest outside of the temporal zones to get your hunger down. 

An idea would be the ability to craft a temporal sphere that, when placed on a surface, would provide a 15-block radius of protection that would repel drifters.

Potential recipe

• 4 temporal gears, 3 obsidian rocks (not stones) (example attached)

Features

• If a drifter spawns in the protection radius then it would run and stay outside the radius.

Benefits

• This would create a mini-game around finding obsidian and increase the value of temporal gears.
  • The attractive psychological mechanic is "I have created a space where I am safe from powerful things that would otherwise attack me" which gives players a sense of safety, power, and control over their environment -- a common reason that us gamers turn to video games for immersive and creative interaction.
  • This would allow players to continue to experience a measure of creative game content during temporal storms. "Ack, another temporal storm! Time to craft tools..."

Being able to carry this item in an off-hand would be a bit over-powered, I believe, but being able to place it would be useful.

temporal_sphere.png

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 4:55 PM, Ariven said:

An idea would be the ability to craft a temporal sphere that, when placed on a surface, would provide a 15-block radius of protection that would repel drifters.

Potential recipe

• 4 temporal gears, 3 obsidian rocks (not stones) (example attached)

Features

• If a drifter spawns in the protection radius then it would run and stay outside the radius.

Benefits

• This would create a mini-game around finding obsidian and increase the value of temporal gears.
  • The attractive psychological mechanic is "I have created a space where I am safe from powerful things that would otherwise attack me" which gives players a sense of safety, power, and control over their environment -- a common reason that us gamers turn to video games for immersive and creative interaction.
  • This would allow players to continue to experience a measure of creative game content during temporal storms. "Ack, another temporal storm! Time to craft tools..."

Being able to carry this item in an off-hand would be a bit over-powered, I believe, but being able to place it would be useful.

temporal_sphere.png

Nice idea but I don't think the temporal sphere should work infinitely. Rather than it being "craft it once and you are set for life" it should be an active block and not a passive one. It would consume a temporal gear per activation and last only a certain amount of time.

Edited by Arun
  • Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.