Early Game meat preservation??

TacoDuke

The preservation of meat requires an unusal amount of effort in game, and I think it could be improved via adding a feature where the player can build a special firepit to smoke meat as an effective way to preserve meat without so much effort.

Edited by TacoDuke
  • Like 2
  • Wolf Bait 1

8 hours ago, TacoDuke said:

The preservation of meat requires an unusal amount of effort in game, and I think it could be improved via adding a feature where the player can build a special firepit to smoke meat as an effective way to preserve meat without so much effort.

Man, everything here takes work, that's kind of the point of how the survival works here.

It surely would be nice to find a way to make smoked meats, but there are only three types of meat in the game and fish were added like last week. We'd still need a special way of placing wood, hay and meat together in an enclosed area, maybe like a pit kiln. You still need to harvest at the very least wood and mess with the place the smoking pit has to go.

Maaaybe when fish meat and fishing are added to the game, we could have smoked salmon eventually :)

• Like 1

Youd most likely have to make a smokehouse. Also this may help you out, but cooking meat does extend its lifespan. cooked meat has at least twice the lifespan as raw meat and it last for quite a while in the vessel. its obviously not a long time, but its something. Smoking meat in real life is far more complicated than it is in games like stranded deep and green hell, and since vintage story focuses on making things highly interactive, the process of smoking meat may be similar to charcoal pit burning, or large-scale kilns where you need to build a structure and do it correctly.

If you don't want to put in effort don't play this game. Thats the whole point of realism, this game is like if Minecraft actually required skill to progress and had thoughtful and engaging game mechanics that prevented you from being bored by not being to easy, but also making many of the mechanics highly interactive and satisfying. Sorry if this sounds mean but this game is very complex so every thing is going to be like that. One of the plans is to eventually get rid of the crafting grid and replace it with something more fun. 

Edited by Joseph Fowler
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Joseph Fowler said:

Youd most likely have to make a smokehouse. Also this may help you out, but cooking meat does extend its lifespan. cooked meat has at least twice the lifespan as raw meat and it last for quite a while in the vessel. its obviously not a long time, but its something. Smoking meat in real life is far more complicated than it is in games like stranded deep and green hell, and since vintage story focuses on making things highly interactive, the process of smoking meat may be similar to charcoal pit burning, or large-scale kilns where you need to build a structure and do it correctly.

If you don't want to put in effort don't play this game. Thats the whole point of realism, this game is like if Minecraft actually required skill to progress and had thoughtful and engaging game mechanics that prevented you from being bored by not being to easy, but also making many of the mechanics highly interactive and satisfying. Sorry if this sounds mean but this game is very complex so every thing is going to be like that. One of the plans is to eventually get rid of the crafting grid and replace it with something more fun. 

I'd have to disagree, IRL yes it can be complicated but it is mostly a method of timing, if you cold smoke meat like cavemen did, all you really have to do is make a rack decently far above the fire, put meat on it, cover the fire with a wet cloth, and then bring the fire to a smolder for a few hours.

Maybe include with this an amount of smoke that must be on meats? I was going to make a suggestion to have smoke from fire be an entity which causes suffocation if the smoke is dense enough in an enclosed space (as it would in Valheim), which would make underground pit kilns risky business and this might go along with that

maybe make if you cook meat over a campfire that you can roast into a second time so its a bit burned but last like burned bread a bit longer. Its not a solution that would be too overpowered. As disadvantage it can loose 20% Nutrition.

the smoking house stuff is maybe somethink for a later patch because more complex.

Jerky is pretty much the easiest thing in the world to make. Even birds do it, though they do it mostly with snakes. Just slice the meat into jerky-sized strips and hang it over a tree branch. Full sun is best, and you can even do it in the winter. The only real challenge is keeping critters off it.

• 4 weeks later...

There was a pemmican mod a while back. Pemmican, was something the native Americans made, and apperantly it was in such demand that there were small scale wars over it. Steve 1989 ate a world war 1 pemmican ration, and apparently it was still good, either that or he is an undead. 

• 3 weeks later...

There are, like, 3 mods that add the ability to turn meat into jerky. I would say it's about time it becomes a vanilla feature. Primitive Survival I believe made it best with jerky curing by its own in your inventory like oiled pelts.

Pemmican could then be added and require cured jerky to make (I would say pounded, but the current pulverizer is everything but food-grade). I'm not sure how you would go about removing it from the cooking pot because it doesn't need a bowl, but if it's made through the use of the pot my suggested recipe is first and second slots cured jerky, third slot either fat or 0.4L honey, fourth slot optional berries. The result would be a 64-stackable item with about one and a half to one and 3/4 the nutrition of a cooked redmeat steak, but that could last an entire season at 1x spoilage rate.

Additionally I believe waxed paper isn't being used enough. An idea would be being able to wrap up to 4 steaks (raw or cooked) or pemmican and triple the shelf life. Identical packages could stack up to 16 in the inventory, some piece of mind about possibly being able to ground store by stacking the packages like bricks as well. You open a package by holding right click while it's in your hand and that returns the packaged items in your inventory, at whatever state of spoilage they're in, and there's a 50% chance the waxed paper is returned to you.

Edited by _Mason

On 9/11/2022 at 6:47 AM, TacoDuke said:

yes it can be complicated but it is mostly a method of timing, if you cold smoke meat like cavemen did, all you really have to do is make a rack decently far above the fire, put meat on it, cover the fire with a wet cloth, and then bring the fire to a smolder for a few hours.

Actually you need less than that, over the medieval era they just put meat on hooks hung in the chimney and as they cooked (and / or heated the room) it got smoked over time, additionally that meat was kept safe off the ground, animals weren't able to get to it.

My suggestion would be a dedicated rack that holds up to 4 stacks of meats (could have a model showing some meat products on hooks depending on the occupied slots or just an empty and a filled model) and when there is either a burning fire pit or oven or pit kiln or really anything producing smoke particles under it with between 1 and 4 blocks of air in between rack and source of smoke, the degradation of the meats is simply halted. It could work as a drying rack in addition and the smoke would accelerate the process.

Edited by Hal13
  • Haha 1

On 10/25/2022 at 5:36 PM, l33tmaan said:

We don't even have paper yet. How are we going to make waxed paper?

There is parchment, which I admit it is a little different from paper but still, you could wax it and seal things in it. If you can't make it, because so far I only went on the wiki to proof myself and I only saw parchment in trader lists, make it possible and/or increase the chance for retrieving the parchment from opening the parcel.

Edited by _Mason

• 4 weeks later...

Just to throw in my two cents, some meats can actually be aged relatively safely for a very long time. Steaks for instance have a dense enough muscle structure that bacteria can't get into more than a few inches. So it could be possible to 'dry age' some items. 

I understand you want more meat preservation methods for the sake of variety, what I don't understand is why you believe there is no way to preserve it early game - cooked meat, left on a spit over the fire will last 10-20 days.

Or even make a crock, fill it with hefty meat stew, then seal it with fat which will make the meat last MINIMUM of 1 year. That is achievable within the FIRST HOUR of gameplay.

I don't know where your idea of it being hard came from.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.