Glider needs more glide

Stealthkibbler

Recently finished the Story dungeon with a friend and gained many spoils, one of which being the glider; which after trying it out for awhile its pretty underwhelming, when base jumping from 60 blocks above sea level the glider can barely carry you, you can dip down and up to make it fly a few more blocks but I was expecting it much more, like being able to setup towers between point A and B and being able to travel vast distances, especially to get around to traders a bit easier. Currently it just operates as a glorified no fall damage item, I dont understand the backpack space on it when you'd likely just only put it on when base jumping from high points and take it off when not.

• Like 4

It does feel a bit...slow. I mean even if it just operates as a no fall damage item it's a great addition, but if it's intent was to just operate like that, they could have just made you get Link's bunny slippers or something. 😅 I think it would be great if they not only increased the speed, but the distance it can carry you. It would be really interesting to have a tower set up on a nearby mountain, for example, and another tower in your base that you can glide down to. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Streetwind said:

The glider used to be faster while 1.18 was in development, but it was slowed down for the live build because people kept getting killed when trying to land.

It does have 2 storage slots, Tyron could make craftable chutes that act as brakes.

• 3 weeks later...

The speed is alright IMO, but the descent is too great. For an item where you have to travel thousands of blocks and go through a lot of deaths and resources to retrieve, it's pretty underwhelming. A nice novelty item for sure, and certainly preferable to just walking/running, but doesn't blow one away (no pun intended).

• Like 1

I didn't even know this existed.  So I went into creative to play around with it.  Seems mostly fine to me.  You've gotta decline at a fairly steep angle (about -45 degrees), but can get to going quite fast,quite quickly.  The problem is that going above, like, -15 degrees absolutely kills your forward momentum and it shouldn't; that's how you're supposed to use a glider: decline at an angle, then tip up to regain most (but not all) of your altitude.

The other 'problem' is that you have to be really, really high, like near cloud-level, to get good (500ish blocks) distance out of it.

Of course, all of these issues will be fixed if we ever get gunpowder and can make some kind of primitive rocket like in MineCraft, but that might be a little too on-the-nose.  I'd genuinely rather see them adjust it so good management of speed and altitude can keep you going for a long, long, LONG distance.

4 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

I'd genuinely rather see them adjust it so good management of speed and altitude can keep you going for a long, long, LONG distance.

Yep pretty much this. I don't need rocket fast, but it shouldn't sink like a paper plane.

In my opinion, someone swapped the glider from VS for the Wings found in Minecraft (I don't remember the name).

The glider of VS if I understood correctly was designed to facilitate the descent from great heights without having to parkour them and spend tons of resources to make stairs ...
Not for players to travel around the map, that's all. Do I find them useful? Yes and No, they are comfortable in some cases, but for the most part, let's say that I live well without them.

33 minutes ago, Jackal Black said:

In my opinion, someone swapped the glider from VS for the Wings found in Minecraft (I don't remember the name).

The glider of VS if I understood correctly was designed to facilitate the descent from great heights without having to parkour them and spend tons of resources to make stairs ...
Not for players to travel around the map, that's all. Do I find them useful? Yes and No, they are comfortable in some cases, but for the most part, let's say that I live well without them.

If that's the design goal, then it should be a parachute, not a glider, IMO.

EDIT:  And I mean one of the old school circular ones, not the new-fangled wing ones that give you so much directional control.

Edited by PhotriusPyrelus

23 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

If that's the design goal, then it should be a parachute, not a glider, IMO.

EDIT:  And I mean one of the old school circular ones, not the new-fangled wing ones that give you so much directional control.

totally agree. the glider aesthetics fit really well with the "present" vintage story moment and tech, but the parachute really fits the time where the lore refers to. could really be a relic of the past.

on the other hand i also agree with the fact that it sinks like a stone in a puddle. it's nice, REALLY NICE to have the "no fall damage" feature, but they should also add something to traverse the world.

right now QuentinP trains and rails are making my life a bit easy (requires steel age tho, so forget about early game transport)  

Edited by 1Joachim1

On 4/6/2023 at 16:21, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Se questo è l'obiettivo del progetto, allora dovrebbe essere un paracadute, non un aliante, IMO.

EDIT: E intendo uno di quelli circolari della vecchia scuola, non quelli delle nuove ali che ti danno così tanto controllo direzionale.

In that case, many would have complained that they didn't have something that made them fly like wings in minecraft.
We always come back to them, you mistake this game for the squashed clone of that game. When it's not like that, you can also say that they could make a parachute, but in the first posts before the release or on discord, I don't remember where, they specifically specified that those wings were only used to glide from great heights and not to fly.
Now, this is VS, with its mechanics and peculiarities, if you want to travel big distances you have only 2 ways, walking or using the Translocators. There are no others at the moment.

Or resort to Mods, which are plentiful and some that give a lot of mobility in the game :)

2 minutes ago, Jackal Black said:

In quel caso, molti si sarebbero lamentati di non avere qualcosa che li facesse volare come ali in minecraft.
Torniamo sempre da loro, confondi questo gioco per il clone schiacciato di quel gioco. Quando non è così si può anche dire che potrebbero fare un paracadute, ma nei primi post prima dell'uscita o su discord, non ricordo dove, specificavano espressamente che quelle ali servivano solo per planare da grandi altezze e non volare.
Ora, questo è VS, con le sue meccaniche e particolarità, se vuoi percorrere grandi distanze hai solo 2 modi, a piedi o usando i Translocator. Non ce ne sono altri al momento.

Oppure ricorri alle Mod, che sono abbondanti e alcune che danno molta mobilità nel gioco:)

True, as an additional solution for moving around, it is also valid, even if it is expensive.
Or there's this one that I've never tried because I love getting hurt and traveling on foot, but it should be really good :)

https://mods.vintagestory.at/viescraftmachines

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else just dying to the slightest speed? I feel liek the fall damage calculation is just stupid I've used 3 gliders now trying to get back to my first death and I just keep dying while barely falling at all. I kinda like the glider as it is, I admit it could use some more glide for sure but the fall damage is just broken imo always worried I'm just gonna get instakilled regardless of how slowly I'm landing. Its a shame beacuse I've just spent almost 4 days getting this and now I'm just dissapointed :/ Such a great game but this really misses the mark ❤️ 

Well, we can already make blackpowder. Just takes a modder to take the next step.

Bet it won't become part of the base game though. If Tyron really wants to let us fly, there might potentially be a more themely and immersive (and harder to obtain) upgrade to the glider through the story event chain. (Keyword "if".)

Edited by Streetwind

Yeah I don't really like the current implementation of gliding, which is also affected by fall speed calculation. I've been using these two mods, Alternative Glider Implementation and Fall Damage Options, which have vastly improved the experience. 

https://mods.vintagestory.at/altgliderimplementation

https://mods.vintagestory.at/falldamageoptions

• 5 months later...

Yes you should be able travel bigger distance with it, I build some world high limit towers with water elevators to use it but the distance you can travel is not so great and it take some space in inventory It would be nice to have a catapult so you don't need to build towers :).Going down big mountains is not problem. You can easily do it by water streams or carefully choosing higher blocks, I don't think this is purpose for glider it doesn't make a sense.

About using it you need to fly more vertically first and then make your fly more horizontal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.