Best Place to Settle?

Hydromancerx

On land.  Basing underwater is much too difficult.

I don't really pay attention to stability, rainfall, etc.  Just where ever looks like it has sufficient space to build.  Sand/gravel expanse of desolation?  no problem I'll eventually find some suitable dirt to dig up and haul back.  Hilly terrain?  I can always build/dig suitable work/living spaces.  Temporally unstable?  Just mix at home chores with errands away from home.

I may consider an underwater outpost once I have an ungodly amount of glass.  Given the abundant size and number of quartz nodes that won't be a problem as much as the time gathering such resources.

• Like 2

Clay, Water and Reeds early on, just Water if it's ~17:00 on day 1.

Long term, decent visibility and a decent sized body of water (60x60 blocks +) on one side, some kinda lime, fire clay and peat within like 2 map screens at default zoom in either direction, hill is nice too failing that one of those geologicall instability node/boulder things, I like a mostly built cellar that gives a high vantage point. I don't get too fussed over flat spots...cause I'll dig the highs to fill the lows if I have to.

Early game its about gaining all the resources asap...

An open area lends itself in being able to see the wolfs and bears hopefully at a good distance.

An area of water where laying down 60x2 block lengths across the water that can then be tilled allowing the soil to stay hydrated, get that farm of flax going. Also maybe setting up a enclosure of protection overlapping the water will help with the need to pan sand for nuggets. And reeds, lots of reeds.

Having either blue or red (fire) clay nearby to make the molds and various potteries

A sandy/gravel area can sometimes be helpful in spotting surface copper, as well as harvesting boulders for making cobble.

Its also helpful to have wild rams and ewe's to eventually corral.  Pigs and chickens too.

Having a trader nearby that has useable chests can be helpful for early game storage.

Forest not too far away for the wood needs, pines for the need of resin, and a chance to find bees.

At some point resources won't be the issue.  When that time comes, the freedom to build just about anywhere becomes easier.  Picking areas with striking contrasts maybe...

I prefer to build in warm-temperate places that are temporally stable, visually interesting, and have a reasonably large body of water nearby. It can vary how long it takes me to find one of those locations, per world, however.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

On land.  Basing underwater is much too difficult.

Wasn't too bad before redoing the water "healing". You could pretty easily destroy water as deep as needed, then fill it back in when you were done. Now it seems you have to do it with cofferdams. It shouldn't, but I have yet to figure out the exact deets of how to do it. Not that I've tried all that hard, either.

I'm not a huge fan of building on sand or gravel, but if that's where spawn is, cest la vie. The big advantage is it's much easier to find copper. My ideal start would be medium fertility soil grassy rolling hills (plenty of 3x3 flats) with a few "peaks" a dozen or more high in granite, with gravel/sand and a forest visible somewhere. Since I play without map, it would also have obvious landmarks, but I can always build those myself. A "+" built of packed earth a half-dozen blocks on a leg, 25-30 in the air, is hard to miss from any direction within a few hundred blocks.

[EDIT]

Oh, forgot to mention. Ideally, it would have a lot of birch shrubs to make it easier (possible?) to escape brown bears without having to construct something. And there's a lot of sticks there, which is never a bad thing.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

Ideally there would be nearby: water, a forest, a commodities trader, a survival trader, medium/high fertility soil, and a large amount of flat ground to run around in. There should also be easy access into adjacent regions (not boxed in by mountains/ridges), and it shouldn't be super far from your spawn point (if you have respawns on).

Reeds and tule are nice to already be there, but you can just collect those and replant them wherever you settle.

I am a bit conflicted on rainfall amount. On the one hand, it is nice to have to water crops only once in a while, but it also makes dealing with temporal storms difficult because you'll get cold in winter while running around in the rain/snow and torches cannot be quickly set up. Hail that lasts for days is also pretty annoying.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.