CzBuCHi Posted September 21 Report Posted September 21 is normal, that wolf will sneak behind you, then barks and kill you under 2 seconds? - no howling before attack ....
byo13 Posted September 21 Report Posted September 21 It happened to me once but it was due to some slowness of some sort. The creatures froze in place, maybe the game was saving or loading/unloading chunks. Hmm... Other than that I can often hear them howling right before too close.
Dilan Rona Posted September 21 Report Posted September 21 It happens. and it will happen again. more than once i got snuck on by a pack from behind. no warning.
Zaph42nd Posted September 21 Report Posted September 21 Yep that sounds about right, wolves attack and hunt in their territories, at least they don't seem to chase nearly as much as bears do in my experience (I have been killed by more bears than rust monsters or wolves funnily enough)
VANTABlack2000 Posted September 21 Report Posted September 21 I think I usually hear a bark and then can run, but I have been randomly killed by a wolf before.
ItzWalterino Posted September 22 Report Posted September 22 That is also a part of the game though. I usually avoid heavily forested areas early-game, because that is where most wolves are located, and are usually hidden in a bush to am'bush' you, haha.
Michael Gates Posted September 23 Report Posted September 23 Yup, this is expected. If I'm going to be working in a particular swatch of forest, I pretty much always dig a wolf pit (3x5x2 deep, with a pair of "goal post" pillars to either side so you know where to go and when to jump over) as close to the treeline as I can. Eventually you get good at it, and then you start to think about wolves as more of a resource than a hazard.
Dilan Rona Posted September 23 Report Posted September 23 Works for the persistant bear as well, although I do recommend a 4 deep pit
Mark Watton Posted September 26 Report Posted September 26 (edited) On 9/21/2026 at 2:52 PM, Zaph42nd said: Yep that sounds about right, wolves attack and hunt in their territories, at least they don't seem to chase nearly as much as bears do in my experience (I have been killed by more bears than rust monsters or wolves funnily enough) You're a liar or really bad at running. Bears hurt more, but don't have the same run speed as the player and a lunge attack. It also still only takes two shots in the first couple of days from either of them to kill you. I've been snuck up on by a bear, but they've only ever killed me if I got stuck. Player-speed beats a bear by a lot. Edited September 26 by Mark Watton 2
Mark Watton Posted September 26 Report Posted September 26 On 9/21/2026 at 12:20 PM, CzBuCHi said: is normal, that wolf will sneak behind you, then barks and kill you under 2 seconds? - no howling before attack .... Try dodging and weaving between solid objects. You're smarter than them, and if they can't get close enough to lunge at you, you can generally get away. That said, if you have any sort of basic armor and a spear, if you have an open area and you can circle them, the pattern to hit them enough to run them off gets to be easy, but you'll still die on occasion.
CzBuCHi Posted September 26 Author Report Posted September 26 51 minutes ago, Mark Watton said: Try dodging and weaving between solid objects. You're smarter than them, and if they can't get close enough to lunge at you, you can generally get away. That said, if you have any sort of basic armor and a spear, if you have an open area and you can circle them, the pattern to hit them enough to run them off gets to be easy, but you'll still die on occasion. It usually goes like this: I'm wandering around, looking for something, then I hear a bark and my HP drops to half... and before I can turn around I'm dead - basically I don't even have enough time to run, so dodging is out of the question...
Mark Watton Posted September 26 Report Posted September 26 8 hours ago, CzBuCHi said: It usually goes like this: I'm wandering around, looking for something, then I hear a bark and my HP drops to half... and before I can turn around I'm dead - basically I don't even have enough time to run, so dodging is out of the question... Yeah, there's not much getting around it. It may help to just always be sprinting like I do. I'm generally hurting for hunger pretty early on because of it, but I also get more land explored and USUALLY... The bush wolves only hit me once and I've got some time to react since I'm already sprinting.
Pitvipr Posted September 29 Report Posted September 29 Wolf jump scares alone have nearly killed me irl from the sheer panic
Recommended Posts