[Suspended]Caelum Terras

jakecool19

This mod will be suspended for an indefinite amount of time, so I can focus on other projects. It is open source so feel free to pick it up if you want!

DISCLAIMER: This is mod changes world generation in any world it is loaded in. Do not have this mod enabled/downloaded when going on to a world that you do not want modified. It does not affect super flat creative worlds.

Want to add some more challenge to your next playthrough? Or want some more post apocalyptic/fantansy vibes? This mod overhauls the vanilla world generation and causes it to split into two parts: the floating islands known as the "Goodlands" and the deadly infested wastelands underneath called the "Badlands". This also adds a new ranged and flying mob, the Locust Drone!

The Goodlands

The parts of the world that are still habitable that hang above the wasteland. All flora, fauna, and structures you would usually find on the surface of a normal world are here. Animal AI has been tweaked so that it will try not to suicide off the edge when fleeing. Since reeds are rare due to a lack of standing water, vines can be used as a replacement for them and grow at the bottom and undersides of islands posing a unique early game challenge. Currently, there are 3 types of islands/landmasses hills, plateaus, and massive mountains.

The Badlands

The torn apart surface of the world. Drifters constantly spawn here, regardless of light level and further adding to the danger is random locust nests scattered about. While very dangerous, it is also rich in ores, metals, and massive pillars of salt.

Locust Drone

A new mob that hovers above the badlands, the locust drone will not make any attempt to flee or come closer to the player, but will shoot spiky bullets if the player gets in range. They are weak but their random movements can make it hard to land a shot with a bow, if not in melee range.

Drifter Changes

Drifters will consume dead bodies and have a chance to throw a rock at the player if they cannot reach them.

Pictures

Setup Guide

Make sure to set spawn radius to 0 or else risk a death loop due to falling.

While this mod can be used by itself, these are some mods I would recommend:

Spoiler
  • Capture Animals is my number one recommendation, as animal husbandry will be very tough without it.
  • Wild Farming will make vines drop when a top piece is broken, and helps combat the lack of crops, by giving you the ability to obtain more seeds via crafting or panning. Also makes vines growable, which they are not in vanilla.
  • Expanded Foods, Primitive Survival, and/or Acorns again due to scarce resources, these mods give you many alternative food sources.
  • Necessaries make vines climbable.

This mod does mess with world gen in ways it really was not meant to, so bugs/poor performance are expected. Please let me know of any or if you have any suggestions. Good luck! ☁️

caelumterras_v0.92.2.zip

Update History

Spoiler

Patch 0.92.2

• Climbing rope added to Useful Stuff mod and removed from this

Patch 0.92.1

• Reduced hitbox/selection box for rope

Update 0.92

• Added new Rope anchor!
  • Can be used to descend in a much faster and reusable way for access to the Badlands and vines.
  • Shift right click with rope in hands to deploy, get your rope back by shift right click with empty hand
  • Increased rope max stack size
  • Fixed drop issue with vine skeps

Patch 0.91

• Increased drifter spread angle from 1 to 10
  • Decreased drifter throw velocity from 1 to 0.8
  • Decreased drifter horizontal throw range from 25 to 20
  • Decreased drifter vertical throw range from 25 to 15
  • Fixed ranged attack and eating animation for drifter

Disclaimer: Please post any bug reports, suggestions, and feedback on the forum page of this mod. Anywhere else, such as Discord, will be ignored!

Edited by jakecool19
Update 0.92.2
  • Like 3
  • Amazing! 1
  • Mind=blown 2

Found a little bug.

With this mod, vanilla coordinate hud switches from relative coordinates to absolute, after i set my spawnpoint using temporal gear. Not sure, is restart needed, or not. It is not a problem, really. But bigger numbers not so easy to remember or check.

And some feedback:

Drifters throw rock with exceptional accuracy and range (impossible for player, even with boosted ranged attacks). They can shot you from ladder 30+ cubes above with easy.  Almost without miss. Only unpredictable movement patterns can help.

IMHO, range or accuracy need to be reduced.

Edited by Digitalr

1 hour ago, Digitalr said:

And some feedback:

Drifters throw rock with exceptional accuracy and range (impossible for player, even with boosted ranged attacks). They can shot you from ladder 30+ cubes above with easy.  Almost without miss. Only unpredictable movement patterns can help.

IMHO, range or accuracy need to be reduced.

Sorry about that forgot to make them a little more clumsy, did not mean to make them into marksman. I will reduce their aim and throw a bit. Also I am having some trouble replicating the bug you found. Can you tell me what other mods if any you are using? And could you please give me the seed for that world?

Do you think it would be possible to have different versions with stuff at the bottom of the world? Like instead of lava there's water, void, or bedrock?

EDIT: Also, how compatible is this with Teleportation Network? I haven't seen any of them yet. It does seem to work with other mods like Wild Farming and I think I see some custom ruins in the Badlands. And by "in the Badlands" I mean "floating in the air most of the time". It's kinda cool, makes me wish ruins were supposed to appear on the surface.

Edited by l33tmaan

47 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

Also, how compatible is this with Teleportation Network?

TpNet uses a vanilla worldgen system.  If there are traders or other surface structures, there will be teleporters. However, the vanilla system tries to generate structures correctly.  For example, you will not find a merchant on a mountainside. As a result, on rough terrain, teleports and other vanilla structures will not spawn.

Edited by DArkHekRoMaNT

1 hour ago, l33tmaan said:

Do you think it would be possible to have different versions with stuff at the bottom of the world? Like instead of lava there's water, void, or bedrock?

EDIT: Also, how compatible is this with Teleportation Network? I haven't seen any of them yet. It does seem to work with other mods like Wild Farming and I think I see some custom ruins in the Badlands. And by "in the Badlands" I mean "floating in the air most of the time". It's kinda cool, makes me wish ruins were supposed to appear on the surface.

Hide contents

2021-01-31_18-48-03.thumb.png.313d2fe899050957ccea079862f41617.png2021-01-31_18-46-35.thumb.png.2338031520e21cd95bc9750fdd944ff2.png2021-01-31_18-46-20.thumb.png.f6339ab27ffbc3bbee6cce2661f76a37.png2021-01-31_18-46-04.thumb.png.4a73505fe9e300882fa762360f6e8fec.png

Glad to see you are enjoying it! The only tweaks I have made to structure spawning is tweaking it so that structures do not float in the Goodlands, added increased the structure spawn chance by 9 times to compensate for ~70% of the surface being gone. Underground/Badlands structures should not float, the vanilla ones I should say. Those ruins look way to big for the pitiful Badlands. By the way are those from the temporal tinker mod? I going to start a playthrough with it tomorrow and that looks really cool.

9 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

I know the first 3 I posted are, but I'm not so sure about that last one. If it is, I've never seen it before.
Are there giant floating lakes, by any chance? 

Giant? I highly doubt it, ponds barely spawn due to the fact the islands are above sea level, hence why I used vines as a replacement to reeds. Also sorry I got excited and forgot to answer your first question, but yes you can replace blocks in the badlands, by changing the blocktype in the globalconfig patch. The mantle, can be changed to lava, although it won't matter as you will fall straight through into the void. Or turn the mantle to air to just have void. Also might want to leave water alone, as the Badlands are below sea level, and technically, under the sea hence why its covered in muddy gravel. Set that to lava, and you are going to have to do a lot of exploring/panning to get metal because the Badlands will be No man's land lol.

quite beautiful :) and this is one way to have your trader/teleporter close together :P hoping it doesn't negatively affect either one, headed to check lol

skyworld.png

*edit* well the trader's good :) be a bit before I know if the teleporter is 

Edited by Lisabet
  • Haha 2

In doing a small playthrough I discovered a bit of the flaw with movement in this game. While cheap blocks like cob can be made to go horizontally between islands and upwards, it is significantly harder to go down. The realistic physics of the game kind of is a double edge sword with the unrealistic floating islands, as gravel and sand when falling does not pile up on top of itself and water is very difficult to go upwards in. While ladders can be used to descend downward, they are somewhat expensive pre copper age, and are hard to move around which is needed for traversing the Badlands. So taking some inspiration from @Spear and Fang monkey bridges I have made a simple climbing rope that uses normal rope to descend much faster. Other than the anchor, all this requires is rope and once you are done exploring down and want to move on, you can collect the rope and use it again for descent or crafting. Let me know if there is anything else that seems like it needs tweaking.

Edited by jakecool19

Due to popular demand, this mod no longer has the climbing rope, but instead I have added it to my new mod Useful Stuff. Make sure to get your rope back if you have any ropes deployed as they will be lost if they are deployed when updating to any new version from this point on!

Edited by jakecool19

16 hours ago, jakecool19 said:

Due to popular demand, this mod no longer has the climbing rope, but instead I have added it to my new mod Useful Stuff. Make sure to get your rope back if you have any ropes deployed as they will be lost if they are deployed when updating to any new version from this point on!

You can fix the ropes with remapping

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Modding:The_Remapper

• Thanks 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.