About the new mushrooms.. (You're not gonna like this)

Maisa Kuutonen

Hi, I'm sure this will anger the lot of you but just please hear me out before the public execution.
I just updated to 1.16.4 and the new mushrooms are a bit overwhelming to be honest. They are pretty and all but seriously? 26 new varieties?
In comparison there are 5 types of berries and 5 types of grain. 
New mushrooms really fill up the inventory in a minute when searching for food and they don't even differ in nutritional values from each other, except for few of them being poisonous.
So in a summary I just don't see the point in them other than aesthetics and I feel that they are VERY disproportioned comparing to other food sources.
I mean, like, 7 different mushrooms would have been totally enough to give the impression of a large variety.
Or am I missing something important here? Will they be an ingredient for something like potions in the future or are they used in dyeing cloth or something?
Just please, share your thoughts and opinions with me because I feel confused and a bit disappointed at the moment and I want to reflect with others about this.
I'm worried that I might take this a bit too seriously but I needed to get this off of my chest.

Thanks for your time!

BR. Maisa

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I agree with the amount of mushrooms right now, there's far too many to actually be useful or different save for their ingame models and names. The list of mushies should probably be culled down a bit to a more manageable number until there's a solution to the inventory clog as a result of so many different kinds of mushrooms.

53 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

It'd be nice if they stacked into a single slot.

Specialized bags for this? Kind of like the rock bags, but for mushrooms.

Edited by maibock
Added more before the quote, not worthy of a new post
  • Like 2

I wasn't really that interested in mushrooms, so I wouldn't have asked for that many versions, but now that they exist, I absolutely love that there are so many different mushrooms with differents forms and colours to discover in different areas and that you can eat most of them, but have to be careful to not eat the wrong ones. It just makes the whole world richer and more beautiful and makes exploring more interesting.

They don't all grow in the same area, so you should never really have a full inventory of all types of mushrooms, even if you also harvest poisonous ones. And deciding to harvest them is just like deciding to harvest any other wild crop, just that they even only take one single slot per type because they don't also drop seeds or fiber.

And even if it could have been a few less versions... they are already in the game, the work is already done. Why getting rid of them? Just don't harvest every mushroom that you find or eat it to empty the slot or store it in a container. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 6

I kind of like the variety, though I agree it does overwhelm inventory space quickly. Like immediately. The fact they aren't cultivatable (or are they?) means that once you start planting crops, mushrooms just end up being snack food, so number of spaces doesn't matter much -- you eat them as you go, and if you run out of space, maybe cache them, but more likely, just not harvest them in the first place. Just grab a portion of stew out of the crock you are carrying.

The major part I find irritating is they take so long to harvest and provide very little satiety for the amount of time spent gathering. Ideally, if they were collected more like berries (exactly like berries would be good) they would be worthwhile. Otherwise, unless you are out of food or have already established your base for the night, there are much better things to do with your time.

That's also why a forage bag is not a great solution. If it takes, really, any materials, (people complain about improvised armor being too many resources for its value) it's tough to justify the time to collect those resources, take up a slot that would probably be better used for a basket and 3 slots of general inventory, then harvest mushrooms vs. just going over the next hill and collecting some berries which will stack. And if it's a later game bag, well, there's not much value in collected mushrooms once you are growing your own food, and giving up space of a linen sack or backpack would be hard to justify just to carry another one or two types of mushrooms you probably won't bother collecting anyway. 

• Like 1

I don't think that the OP is going to anger anyone w this statement. I've only been here two years, but folks here seem pretty chill. Now if you'd like to see a community that will freak out if you do anything less than break an arm patting the dev's back even though the game has floated upside down on the water like a dead duck for years, I could direct you to a particular game on Steam, but that level of toxicity is almost enough to set off a Geiger counter. Personally, I love the mushrooms, I just haven't touched them yet. I wonder how Expanded Foods deals with them; can we add them to stew, eggs? I'm not a foodie, but isn't mushroom tea a thing in the real world? But " the new mushrooms are overwhelming" isn't exactly rage-inducing. If you came here and said "What the f's wrong w these ignorant devs for adding a ludicrous amount of mushrooms!!!???", now them there be fightin words, madam. :) Dueling pistols might have to be taken off the shelf, with the whole "fire at 20 paces" type of deal.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ryan Thomas said:

I don't think that the OP is going to anger anyone w this statement. I've only been here two years, but folks here seem pretty chill. Now if you'd like to see a community that will freak out if you do anything less than break an arm patting the dev's back even though the game has floated upside down on the water like a dead duck for years, I could direct you to a particular game on Steam, but that level of toxicity is almost enough to set off a Geiger counter. Personally, I love the mushrooms, I just haven't touched them yet. I wonder how Expanded Foods deals with them; can we add them to stew, eggs? I'm not a foodie, but isn't mushroom tea a thing in the real world? But " the new mushrooms are overwhelming" isn't exactly rage-inducing. If you came here and said "What the f's wrong w these ignorant devs for adding a ludicrous amount of mushrooms!!!???", now them there be fightin words, madam. :) Dueling pistols might have to be taken off the shelf, with the whole "fire at 20 paces" type of deal.

Help, I have to add 27 versions of mushroom variants to all my recipes! 😅

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I kind of like the variety, though I agree it does overwhelm inventory space quickly. Like immediately. The fact they aren't cultivatable (or are they?) means that once you start planting crops, mushrooms just end up being snack food, so number of spaces doesn't matter much -- you eat them as you go, and if you run out of space, maybe cache them, but more likely, just not harvest them in the first place. Just grab a portion of stew out of the crock you are carrying.

The major part I find irritating is they take so long to harvest and provide very little satiety for the amount of time spent gathering. Ideally, if they were collected more like berries (exactly like berries would be good) they would be worthwhile. Otherwise, unless you are out of food or have already established your base for the night, there are much better things to do with your time.

That's also why a forage bag is not a great solution. If it takes, really, any materials, (people complain about improvised armor being too many resources for its value) it's tough to justify the time to collect those resources, take up a slot that would probably be better used for a basket and 3 slots of general inventory, then harvest mushrooms vs. just going over the next hill and collecting some berries which will stack. And if it's a later game bag, well, there's not much value in collected mushrooms once you are growing your own food, and giving up space of a linen sack or backpack would be hard to justify just to carry another one or two types of mushrooms you probably won't bother collecting anyway. 

Mushroom cultivation is a planned feature I believe. But I can agree with the OP here. I think the variety is cool and all but maybe things like this can wait to be added after major features have been worked on? Not trying to sound like an ass I just rather see time spent on getting river generation / ocean generation, fishing, expanded crafting etc into the game. I've never been apart of the development cycle before so maybe it's naïve of me to say this. I just think major features should be the focus and then the aesthetics can come after that. 

• Like 1

If I had to guess (take this with a grain of salt), Saraty made a bunch of models and textures while Tyron was coding something else and it took a day or two for him to add them into the game. The hardest part of making 27 varieties of mushrooms is almost certainly the modeling and texturing. Then again, I have no idea how detailed the spawning mechanics are.

• Like 4

It'd be nice to have more ways to store/prepare mushrooms, as well as a foraging bag that could store multiple kinds of mushrooms/berries, but aside from that I have no complaints about the mushrooms - they really liven up forest areas, and most of them look very nice in pots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rufferto said:

Knife + any mushroom = chopped or prepared mushrooms which stack?

No point in having chopped mushrooms that don't look like their original component. I'd rather just be able to stack items that share primary codes, like veggies or mushrooms (but not meat, for some reason).

26? damn. I've only ever found 3 variants in my 20 hours of play in a world. Now that's not that much I know, but I too really don't see the point in that many variants.
I guess I've felt the same with some other aspects of the game. For example there's so many diverse versions of trees and logs, yet there's only a few basic animals. It feels a bit unbalanced in terms of variety. I guess my issue is not necessarily that there's 26 versions but that it overshadows the other options.
I wish there'd be more types of other food sources too, like more berries, fishes and the likes. I suppose that's also why the game is Early Access, we will see.

• Like 1

I don't see a problem. Mushrooms are like alternate vegetables and meal when getting meat is hard to come by.

Besides the chances of seeing variety of them depends on the map seed gen. I remember only getting to see 1-3 mushrooms and it was enough that I don't had to rely on farming vegs for time. 

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2022 at 9:11 PM, Ryan Thomas said:

Super necro but that was exactly what I feared. I once asked from Steam community that is it somehow possible to change children clothes to another variant in Skyrim and was immediately called a pedo by at least 10 junior high bullies and incels. 🤣 Stopped asking and started to learn modding by myself. 😂

• Haha 2

I enjoy the visual variety when strolling through the world.  The inventory-management aspect is admittedly kind of a pain though.  What if we had something like the Bundles that MineCraft is never going to add.  Really cheap, stone-age in-inventory container with set absolute size but could hold any number of stacks, specifically for mushrooms (and maybe flowers?)?  That would help a lot.  Botanical Bag?

2 hours ago, PhotriusPyrelus said:

Really cheap, stone-age in-inventory container with set absolute size but could hold any number of stacks, specifically for mushrooms (and maybe flowers?)?  That would help a lot.  Botanical Bag?

I could see this for seeds, but unless you crank hunger and spoilage way down, what's the point of collecting something that's just going to rot before you get around to eating it? Yes, the variety is interesting and all but is there some other purpose you have in mind? Particularly in the early game, I'm always sprinting so that I'm always eating so that I'm always increasing my HP. The only time I can think of where a botanical bag might be useful to me is after my vegetable bar is full and I want to start long-term storage. At which point I've got storage vessels in whatever I'm calling home then anyway.

Though it may seem sub-optimal, I think probably the most efficient use of early food is munching on the short stacks (usually vegetables and grains) until you max out those bars, and if need be, let the berries rot. Rot stacks, which you are not going to get from veggies or grain anytime soon. And if you need the space, cache the rot in a firepit or just toss it. You need barrels before it's useful anyway. Which you might even find on a trader's wagon...

On 4/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, Maisa Kuutonen said:

except for few of them being poisonous

Several years ago there I was happily skipping through the Bulgarian hills foraging for mushrooms when I saw a person waving a hand at me in the distance. When I approached I was presented with a bag of shrooms and asked whether I recognize them. The shrooms looked similar (but not the same) to the ones I gather, so I said "No". Than this individual remarked: "It is a pity, me and my wife made a soup out of these 3 times already..." 😆 😨

I hope they are ok....

@Maisa Kuutonen Called a pedo because you wanted to change clothes on the kids of Skyrim? You're not going to get that level of animosity here. Not here, and not from me.  And incels; my brother-in-law's one of those. On Memorial Day, I said "Drew, you say your rage is because of your incel status, I say your incel status is because of your rage. In California, I discovered these things called isolation pods; ya really feel the stress melt away in those. Those were really popular with the ladies, last time I checked. So, go over to one of those clubs, float in a pod for a bit, pop out, talk to one of the gals; bam, incel status gone." And of course he was like "blah blah, stfu, you smell like Skittles flavored beer (because of my vape pen and Miller High Life), get a gd haircut you're supposed to be a Navy and Marine Corp veteran, blah blah". So, I feel ya, those incel guys are a little too crusty and cantankerous for my liking. 

• 2 weeks later...

as eastern european , dried mushrooms are still staple food in many traditional dishes and not only its great way to preserve them but also adds "flavour" (its like with oregano that drying brings the flavour/changes it for the better) , i personaly like varierity as lots games add maybe 2 , or 5 when they feel generous but having that many pleases me as we picked mushrooms for quite long time

i get the annoyances as inventory size on this game is sparseif it bothers you , you can just throw them into meals , i generally been saving grains for winter and using meat/fruit/fungi as every day food

or maybe have mushroom basket backpack , who can store only fungi , but got 12 slots(similar to ore backpack who is already ingame)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.