The goal of the game

SCC

I wonder, is there going to be some overarching goal to the game? Something to challenge players?

At the moment, you can get most resources without putting yourself at a significant risk, though luck is an important factor instead. There are no challenges that you actually have to overcome to obtain copper, bronze or iron. Likewise, there are no challenges you have to face because you obtained those resources, no new regions you can travel to with your better weaponry and armour. There is no creeping enemy, either, who puts a time pressure on you, to advance by yourself. The result is that you don't advance the game to overcome some challenge or because there's an enemy you have to fight, but because you are bored, want to discover new things or just so.

It feels somewhat not right. Once I get iron tools, I just keep going because... Well, because I worked so hard to get there, I better enjoy it? I get stuff just to get it, not because I want or need it.

• Like 1

Vintage Story, as Minecraft, is a game where you can do a lot but you don't actually have to do much beside ensure your survival.

If you ask me, I can answer that i decide my own quests like improve my gears, find a certain resource and so on. I can add that stop to play a map every time because... I don't know why, I just don't like to keep playing if I got killed.

Anyway, the "time stability" thing offers a lot of possibilities. Investigate to find out what is happened to the world is already possible. Maybe find a way to fix it could be the ultimate goal.

I also hope that in future survival will be harder and it will be possible to interact more with NPCs. I say this because since I like to build things I need workforce 😈

• Amazing! 1

While I greatly appreciate the heavy focus on more survival aspects in early development compared to minecraft, which more quickly shifted to conquest direction, I do feel like adding some conquest elements will be necessary eventually for the game, or to at least strike a better balance of survival and conquest aspects than Mojang did.

I do feel like that something akin to the quest journal would eventually be a boon, but perhaps more vaguely presented than Minecraft's. Even if parts of the quest journal were unlocked bit at a time, encouraging you to preform a strange task without actually requiring it. If you don't mind the concept spitball:

"You have an urge to snap twigs," so you craft a branch into 3 twigs.
"You have an urge to scribble," So you cook twig into charcoal nibs, and a nib can be used once on a stoney wall to view some very simple Stone Age tasks that can be done without having to open the general crafting guide and being overwelmed.

Later on when the tech for leather and paper is available, "You have an urge to write," so craft a journal for that age that you instead carry with you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yukihira_S said:

If you ask me, I can answer that i decide my own quests like improve my gears, find a certain resource and so on.

I know I can do things just because. I'm hoping that, at some point, my work is going to have a point, besides me being bored. Or just because tools wear down. While it is unavoidable and a decent push to do things (can't mine without a pickaxe), but it's a somewhat unsatisfying solution. I need to make a new thing, because the last one broke down. Desire to get better tools and weapons lasts only so long as well. Specifically, until you get iron. And even then, you don't strictly need metal tools, you only want them and most likely not more than one of each.

To compare: what is more enticing? To do something, because it allows you to explore more content of the game, or because it gives you items with a bit better stats? To make something, because it potentially can give you benefits in other areas, or because you are bored?

I don't want this some overarching plot immediately, I'm just curious if something in this vein is planned at all.

• Like 1

The thing is, it's a sandbox game. By definition, it doesn't have an end goal. You do what you want. That type of gameplay isn't for everyone, but keep in mind that there are many different reasons why people play games. Some people want a goal to work towards. Some people want to master a skill and overcome a challenge. Some people want to collect things. Some people want to explore and discover secrets. And some people just want a fun creative space to build in. All of these gameplay styles are equally valid, and not every game has to offer all of them. I would say that someone who gets bored in a game that requires you to make your own goals probably would be more interested in other types of games. Personally, I enjoy the sandbox nature of the gameplay of VS. I set my own goals and enjoy reaching them, and that's what's best for me. I'm happiest when additions to the game give me more sandbox toys to play with, like new building blocks and automation tools (which are gradually being added), or more ways to make the game feel immersive, like the new weather and smithing systems. I wouldn't be upset if the developer decided to add more goals and quests and such, because it wouldn't do me any harm, but I don't require it, either, and I think they are definitely not obligated to add it.

All that said, I don't know if the dev is planning on adding more progression/story-based content or not. If so, cool. But if not, also cool. I think it's important to keep in mind why these games are called "sandbox" games. Kids don't play in a sandbox to win or unlock achievements or complete quests, they play because they want to build a castle or dig a hole or whatever else their imagination can come up with. So if you find yourself becoming bored without preset goals, you might be happier with a different type of game.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. I wouldn't mind at all if more progression, goals, and story were added to the game, but I also don't expect it, and I am the type of player that is very happy with a pure sandbox, left to my own devices. It's all relative.

• Like 1

My idea of a sandbox game is similar to the yours Aira. Nevertheless I understand the point of view of SCC. In my opinion, VS is a game which has a great potential and maybe, in future updates, some more crazy Flux infused biomes may be added; NPCs could give you quests that you may accept and some more RPG elements may be included. Who knows? Let's wait and enjoy the new things that come with every updates. 

To me, exciting would be something that gates some content behind a challenge that involves skill. Currently, while finding certain resources might be challenge, it is so on a basis that places emphasis on luck. You can reach the best of technology without purposefully fighting any creature and almost without traversing to any dangerous terrain (almost, because deep underground and certain climates might count, but again, it depends on your luck).

Another thing it would help is that without PvP, you wait until you get the best armour and weapons with fighting enemies you don't have to, simply want to, because it's a high risk, low reward activity. Limiting the accessibility of better materials would increase the value and attractiveness of worse materials. Then again, making brigandine armour is a lot of effort and chain and plate ones are outright exhausting, forcing players to "waste" energy on creating obsolete items would be cruel.

On 2/20/2020 at 12:06 PM, Aira said:

The thing is, it's a sandbox game. By definition, it doesn't have an end goal.

A game, by definition, does have a goal or an objective to achieve. Other than that, I don't really disagree, but I think that if your effort had a quantifiable meaning, if it made you progress towards achieving some even optional objective, it would have an external justification for existence. That you don't play the game just because you're bored, but to beat it or certain parts of it and get rewards. I don't think that this game being a sandbox and offering the player challenges are mutually exclusive features.

It seems to be that it is a sandbox survival game. The quests are what you make yourself. Now it can remain a sandbox survival with an end goal (perhaps a temporal world you tp to to solve something or maybe just learn more background info) such as Warband is a sandbox and does have an end goal (even quests), but as it stands now, I don't think the intention is to turn it into an open-world RPG survival game with quest lines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 7:24 AM, PAD said:

While I greatly appreciate the heavy focus on more survival aspects in early development compared to minecraft, which more quickly shifted to conquest direction, I do feel like adding some conquest elements will be necessary eventually for the game, or to at least strike a better balance of survival and conquest aspects than Mojang did.

I do feel like that something akin to the quest journal would eventually be a boon, but perhaps more vaguely presented than Minecraft's. Even if parts of the quest journal were unlocked bit at a time, encouraging you to preform a strange task without actually requiring it. If you don't mind the concept spitball:

"You have an urge to snap twigs," so you craft a branch into 3 twigs.
"You have an urge to scribble," So you cook twig into charcoal nibs, and a nib can be used once on a stoney wall to view some very simple Stone Age tasks that can be done without having to open the general crafting guide and being overwelmed.

Later on when the tech for leather and paper is available, "You have an urge to write," so craft a journal for that age that you instead carry with you.

I'd personally prefer a different approach than "conquest". I love story, which I understand why there won't be a huge amount, and solving puzzles/mysteries.

I really like your ideas, only I'd want one thing to be tweaked from what you said. Instead of random urges out of nowhere, I'd like to see more in world interaction to trigger them. Finding a book, or item, triggers the players' curiosity. One of my biggest disappointments in gaming is when you find stuff in world, mainly books, that do not encourage some activity in the world.

I'm really not sure what the journal in the game is for if it's not for future planned quest-like content. I really hope so. 

• 1 year later...

Still debating if this game is right for me... I don't want booring tasks to complete, some of the things on the trailer don't seem to be a bigger deal than they actually are? it says to discover a dark secret, which looks really cool... is that a major part of the game? I like how in mine craft you can just survive, or you can survive to defeat the enderdragon. I want a purpose in playing the game, does it have it?

The devs have a roadmap that indicates there's a lot left to be added.  A poll for the 1.15 update indicated more specifics (like the first major story event) that will be added as the devs can implement them.  I understand the dev team is just 2 people, so patience will help.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

It could certainly do with more interesting environments. Overworld and underground needs some variety and reward for going into somewhere dangerous. A land full of ruins and monsters would be a start but it would need more monster variety first.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.