too much grinding

chromatom

i spent hours and hours and i'm still stuck in the stone age. i'm not sure if i do something wrong, but 900 units of copper to make an anvil???

...and a hammer and a saw  ... just to build a simple bukket for placing water?

are you kidding? what's wrong with you? how many time do you strange people have to play those games?

please give some config-options to reduce this, or i can't play the game anymore.

and by the way: please give an option to reduce the nighttime. actual it's not much more than wasting time.

i really want to love it, but that's too much grinding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Actually, the fastest way to proceed would be to make a pickaxe and a hammer (both 100 units). Then go back to where you found the copper nuggets on the ground and dig down, you'll find a copper deposit, mine it all then break the ore into nuggets with the hammer and with luck you'll have more than enough for an anvil AND a saw. Then its on to the bronze age. There's nothing wrong with the game in my opinion, but there's a lot you currently need to figure out on your own, which takes time, especially in single player. Playing on a server with other players helps because they can answer all your questions and share resources with you.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 10:19 PM, ApacheTech said:

Soon, I hope. 14 hours per day is waaaaayyy too much.

Yea this is something that bothers me as well.

Night time is just not fun, and skipping half a night doesn't solve that. When I'm looking to do stuff outside of the base and night time comes I just tab out of the game and go do something else, or stop playing entirely.

I see no point whatsoever in a game feature that makes me just... sit around.. and... wait..... Night is awesome for ambience and it's fine when I have things to do in base, but for all other nights, especially right at the start of the game, it should be optional.

Sleeping option(s) that let you skip the entire night should be around from day 1.

2 hours ago, Feone Varen said:

Sleeping option(s) that let you skip the entire night should be around from day 1

This.

Being able to sleep until dawn is essential, and should be a basic component of the game. With the first bed, you can sleep from 5pm when it starts getting too dark to be able to play, until 9pm. Then you just have to stand still and do nothing for the next 10 hours of in-game time. It's ridiculous.

2 hours ago, ApacheTech said:

Being able to sleep until dawn is essential, and should be a basic component of the game. With the first bed, you can sleep from 5pm when it starts getting too dark to be able to play, until 9pm. Then you just have to stand still and do nothing for the next 10 hours of in-game time. It's ridiculous.

No way man. The forced night experience is an essential part of the game. Prepare during the day to ensure you can survive the night. Whether that be by torch lit running through the wilderness on scarce provisions to explore in early game or find some resources to bring home, by hunting or by clay forming, cooking and establishing a base with some basic materials you collected during the day. Really. That is the game.

Home page quote: "... uncompromising wilderness survival ...". That speaks volumes tbh.

Edited by AlteOgre
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Just now, AlteOgre said:

No way man. The forced night experience is an essential part of the game. Prepare during the day to ensure you can survive the night. Whether that be by torch lit running through the wilderness on scarce provisions to explore in early game or find some resources to bring home, by hunting or by clay forming, cooking and establishing a base with some basic materials you collected during the day. Really. That is the game.

That is the game.

For Some.

Not for everyone.

You have a terrible habit of tunnel visioning this game and assuming everyone plays it in exactly the same arduous way you play it. It's embedded into many of your posts on here, and you're very vocal about it. That's good for you, I suppose. I would prefer the game to be accessible, and marketable to as many people as possible. And even if you like the challenge of seemingly endless pitch black nights, that's ok for the first in-game few weeks. But, once you've survived, and you're at the position in which you just want to get on and play the game, there isn't the option to do so. You're still stuck in this ridiculous situation where you have to use exploits to speed time through the night, (using a bed and pressing shift immediately to skip time an hour at a time) just so that you can continue to play the game. Any kind of challenge is gone by time you're 1,000 nights into the game. An option to sleep until dawn SHOULD be available in game.

This is one of the most requested features, by new and experienced players, and anyone that's read any of your posts here already knows that you are ardently against any form of quality of life additions, and that you wish the game were even more torturous than it already is to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ApacheTech said:

Then you just have to stand still and do nothing for the next 10 hours of in-game time.

Not trying to say the suggestion has no merit.  But this statement is patently false.  There is nothing forcing you to 'stand still and do nothing' at night.  If you're going to accuse others of 'tunnel visioning', you may want to try to be a bit more cautious in your own statements. 

• Like 1

Nothing forces you to do anything in the game, even playing is optional. My point is that the nights are around 14 hours long, and even at the absolute end-game, there is no way to skip the wasted time. With an Aged Wood Bed, you still have to wait out around 5 hours of pitch black. This should not be the case. A bed which you can use to sleep until dawn should exist, some way, some how, within the game.

As I've said, people play this game for different reasons. It's a survival mode sandbox game. There's nothing to force you to do anything. You could make a survival dirt hovel, use nothing but flint or stone tools, and live purely off berry bushes, holding a torch permanently in your off-hand. Or, you could strive to build something incredible, and create choreographed videos of your progress; build from bedrock to build limit, and have acres of rolling arable farmland to tend. You can build communities, and economies. You can make the game what you want it to be. But... you can't even sleep through a single night of it without exploiting the beds. That is wrong.

I get that a fair few vocal people in this forum come from a background of proper Iron Man style survival games, where the mere mention of any form of Quality of Life is anathema. There's people who actually want to make their 6,000th pickaxe, voxel by voxel, by voxel, and curse the fact that the durability of some materials is actually higher than the stuff you can use on day one. I get that. I don't understand it; it's completely alien to me, but I get it. These people are strident in their views, and very quick to reply to anyone who dares to add QoL to the game, and tread the ideas down.

That's not me, and it never will be. For me, and many like me, this is a building game. The first couple of in-game weeks are pure survival. But then, you come to a choice, do I want to start again, and replay those first few weeks of survival, or do I want to Thrive? Do I want to build, and explore the potentials of the game? Do I want to be creative in this game, and have the challenge of creating incredible builds in Survival Mode? That's me. I'm a builder. I'm a roleplayer. I'm a videographer. Part of the fun and excitement of the game comes from producing the builds. Once you've overcome the brutal struggle of the first week, it's time to let your imagination take control.

For me, I cannot wait until some of the promised Eldritch stuff comes into the game. That will be a real USP, and will bring in a whole new audience to the game. Some of the things you can create in a Lovecraftian/Eldritch world are amazing, and it'll be good to see that being implemented. That's the kind of stuff that's worth grinding for.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ApacheTech said:

It's a survival mode sandbox game. There's nothing to force you to do anything.

It is a sandbox survival game, not just a sandbox game. It should force you to do things. The default survival game mode should not have a completely skipable night imo, as it defeats a lot of the purpose of the night. Being just able to skip the night defeats the purpose of building up defenses, a simple fence and permanent light. It degrades the purpose of crafting armor. The bed is what ruined the Minecraft survival experience for a lot of people, as the game became too easy with it. And players can do things at night time, it's the best time to do the crafting and smelting, prepare food, decorate the interior of your base. Once a player crafted some basic wooden laminar armor, the night isn't even that scary anymore as drifters are not even a threat anymore.

Quality of life features are generally a good thing, but this wouldn't be a quality of life thing, it would be a major gameplay change, that would also only effect single player.

I'm however not against some world creation setting or mods that allow you to sleep through the night, this is just about the default survival mode.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Erik said:

New TabIt is a sandbox survival game, not just a sandbox game. It should force you to do things. The default survival game mode should not have a completely skipable night imo, as it defeats a lot of the purpose of the night. Being just able to skip the night defeats the purpose of building up defenses, a simple fence and permanent light. It degrades the purpose of crafting armor. The bed is what ruined the Minecraft survival experience for a lot of people, as the game became too easy with it. And players can do things at night time, it's the best time to do the crafting and smelting, prepare food, decorate the interior of your base. Once a player crafted some basic wooden laminar armor, the night isn't even that scary anymore as drifters are not even a threat anymore.

Quality of life features are generally a good thing, but this wouldn't be a quality of life thing, it would be a major gameplay change, that would also only effect single player.

I'm however not against some world creation setting or mods that allow you to sleep through the night, this is just about the default survival mode.

I think that the game should have game presets for different types of people Creative, Conquest, Adventure, Survival and Hardcore.<Easiest to Hardest>

Creative: Cheats. For creating things and testing stuff out.

Conquest: Focus on exploration and building with simplified and increased resource yield. For people who just want to build a 40 foot golden cock and ball on top of their lava fortress.

Adventure: Light Survival similar to conquest but not as much. For people who want to chill and don't want to grind and just enjoy this serene game.

Survival: Default current Survival preset with more survival elements such as oxygen meter water meter and sanity meter.

Hardcore: Survival with one life and inventory system like the Carry Capacity mod, but with % slow per kg carried and reduced resource yields from drops and why not have a wave of enemies that come by your home every 7 days like the epic siege mod from Minecraft in there too where you have to build a proper base to survive and every second is a gift and life is terrible because why not. For people that love to grind and want the world to hate them.

I am not being completely serious btw but it would be cool to have that Hardcore preset for shits and giggles.

• Like 1

The claims that letting us skip night will ruin the game (or has ruined other games) are really silly.

The game mechanics make waiting the optimal strategy in a bunch of cases. Waiting is no fun and a complete waste of my time. This should be fixed.

Sleeping through it is a really simple solution that will do that.

• Like 3

May be a option at the beginning of the game as to sleep all night or a number of hours to choose from.

I think as many options in a game is the answer .That way it makes the game different for everyone

I myself being new,Find it ok but i understand that others may want to play the game in a different way and that is everyone's privilege to enjoy the game there way

Wow this is some great discussion!  I've been playing sandbox survival games for quite a while and I agree with most of the points being made.  Early on when you're trying to survive, I personally love not having the option to just "skip" the scariest parts of the game.  The adrenaline rush the game provides during the struggle at night is one that I love so much.  However, once you are at a higher tier of advancement, and night time poses almost zero threats, maybe an option to sleep through the night makes sense.  I would compare it to camping versus living in a house.  Sleeping through the night while camping can be more difficult if you have to feed the fire; deal with leaking tents, bugs, etc.  Sleeping through the night in your home is pretty much a given.  So maybe the best answer is just have a craftable item that allows you sleep through the night entirely.  To make it a more interesting game dynamic, maybe make it something you cannot pick up and carry.  That would tend to make it a more permanent "home" type feature.

1. Yes, long night sometimes becomes annoying

2. Night not very hard to play as you think. It not as simple as under daylight, but after TFC with it's zombie hordes and "hide until dawn or die" VC's night is very nice and peacefully.

Edited by EreticKB
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, EreticKB said:

1. Yes, long night sometimes becomes annoying

2. Night not very hard to play as you think. It not as simple as under daylight, but after TFC with it's zombie hordes and "hide until dawn or die" VC's night is very nice and peacefully.

Yea it's definitely much better than TFC, still kind of annoying to have to deal with the mobs though.

Low light is also a major eye strain / headache inducing if you try to play through it anyway.

Hey guys! I just made an account just to suggest this, since the current debate is trapped between adding the option to skip the night and force you to wait the night....what if....instead of adding the option to skip the night....we focus on the lack of content during night time? add more stuff to do in the night, and people won't feel the need to skip it...the problem is not the night itself...the problem is having nothing to do and just waiting it out.... 

• Like 3

On 6/10/2020 at 7:14 PM, ApacheTech said:

This.

And what is the problem of taking the torch and walking at night with it (I generally did not sleep playing in VS)? I am not a fan of the "iron man", QoL is always important to me (within reasonable limits). But surviving in vanilla VS is easy. Normal Drifters practically do not cause problems, and they are the only ones to spawn at night. Much more dangerous are hyenas, wolves and other animals. But they are both day and night.

If you don't want to wait the whole night... just find something to do. Leave things to do in the base for the night instead of doing them during the day, like cooking, smithing, sorting, all kinds of crafting and improving your base. Do whatever outside of your base and just be a little bit more careful or maybe prepare an area with lights and walls to be able to work there without interruption by drifters. Or simply use the night for mining.

Somehow couldn't come up with enough things to do for a whole night? Just skip some hours in a bed.

And if you really want to skip the whole night, just

tab -> t -> /time set sunrise

and enjoy the next morning.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.