Jump to content
Lambda65

Why "Vintage Story"? isn't that TerraFirmaCraft Standalone?

Recommended Posts

- Because the game is made by the same people who originally made a Minecraft mod called VintageCraft (before getting fed up with the limitations of Minecraft)

- TerrafirmaCraft is one of many inspirations, not the only one. Don't judge the whole game by the first ten minutes.

- Full-price games nowadays are $70 plus paid DLC plus ingame microtransactions. Vintage Story costs $17 and has no paid DLC and no ingame microtransactions. Sounds perfectly fair for an Early Access title.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

- Because the game is made by the same people who originally made a Minecraft mod called VintageCraft (before getting fed up with the limitations of Minecraft)

- TerrafirmaCraft is one of many inspirations, not the only one. Don't judge the whole game by the first ten minutes.

- Full-price games nowadays are $70 plus paid DLC plus ingame microtransactions. Vintage Story costs $17 and has no paid DLC and no ingame microtransactions. Sounds perfectly fair for an Early Access title.

Thanks! But how i can change spawn point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lambda65 said:

Thanks! But how i can change spawn point?

You need a temporal gear.  This is a rare drop from driters, is rarely sold by some traders, and I think may also possibly be an extremely rare subterranean ruin loot.

26 minutes ago, Lambda65 said:

How i can translate the game?

I would hop on discord, there is a wiki and translations channel there.   Translating is done by the community, via a website, I forget which.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 11:11 AM, redram said:

You need a temporal gear.  This is a rare drop from driters, is rarely sold by some traders, and I think may also possibly be an extremely rare subterranean ruin loot.

You can also find temporal gears very rarely by panning gravel or sand (as well as a bunch of other stuff - copper, sphalerite, and cassiterite ore chunks; flint; chunk and clear quartz; spearheads and arrowheads; Rusty Gears for currency; pieces of jewelry and other accessories - panning is a great way to get a little bit of everything). I've found about 3-4 of the 8 gears I have right now by this method. The others I got off surface drifters. I haven't been underground much yet (and even when I do, I haven't gone much below Y 400 yet. My world is 1024 blocks high), so can't comment on whether they can be found in ruins underground yet.

Edited by Robert Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 11:11 AM, redram said:

You need a temporal gear. 

Is there a way to just spawn in this temporal gear, I grow weary of killing drifters trying to find this and my young son gave up entirely on the game citing that it's just too "grindy" for him.  Personally I think that a spawn point should be as simple as dropping a bed and sleeping in it the first night, Minecraft didn't get everything wrong.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Specifically, /gamemode 2 will put you in creative mode, where you use E to go to inventory, which is instead just a searchable list of all the items in the game.  just search there and get as many as you want.  /gamemode 1 will put you back in survival mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and it is a good idea to have an empty hotbar slot (your expanded inventory slots are not accessible while in creative mode).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2020 at 8:12 AM, Lambda65 said:

And why game is so expensive?

Minecraft is $27 right now, Java Edition (multiplatform). I bought it originally for $24 as I recall. I bought Vintage Story for only $17. Not sure what the complaint is here.

I *wish* early access for a buggy game was much cheaper, but I'm old enough to know what it's not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brandybuck said:

Minecraft is $27 right now, Java Edition (multiplatform). I bought it originally for $24 as I recall. I bought Vintage Story for only $17. Not sure what the complaint is here.

I *wish* early access for a buggy game was much cheaper, but I'm old enough to know what it's not.

I bought Minecraft in pre-alpha, cost  about $12.50 but I bought two copies, one for me and one for my partner so about $6.25 each with the promise that all future versions would be free (we'll have to see how that turns out when they want to swing out a Minecraft 2

 

I don't really consider $18 to be expensive for this AS long as they continue to develop it, right now it does feel like a really nice mod for Minecraft and I'm not sure what they can do to it to get out of that feeling.  As it is right now, my young son gave up on it at about hour 4 and I had considered refunding it but I decided to give it a go myself, the next 4 or so hours were pretty misreable, but then stuff started to click for me but still... They need to develop this further for the price to be fully justified to me.

Edited by City Builder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is the dev(s)' day job they need the money now. I think I paid about $27AU for VS and I don't feel at all ripped off. That's less than 6 cups of coffee. A lot of work has gone into this already so I'm glad some people are buying it.

If I stopped playing now I'd have got my money's worth and I've only had it since it showed up on PSJ's channel. I've sunk an embarrassing amount of time into my first world and I really need to shelve it for a while.

If buying it now means I own it on release I'd be happy to stop playing for months at a time and just come back for a tour of new features when major releases are made.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 2:19 AM, City Builder said:

Personally I think that a spawn point should be as simple as dropping a bed and sleeping in it the first night, Minecraft didn't get everything wrong.

That's something I don't like about Minecraft. Setting a new spawn point is way too easy, so easy that it happens even if you don't want it, just because you slept in bed for other reasons. In Vintage Story it is a goal to achieve if you want it and it's a conscious decision, but if you don't want to do some work for it, you can easily cheat and get as many temporal gears as you want from the creative mode.

 

11 hours ago, City Builder said:

They need to develop this further for the price to be fully justified to me.

For me, the price is already fully justified, and I even decided to buy the supporter addon not long ago, because I've already played hundreds of hours and love the game, will keep playing it, and I want the developers to be able to keep working on the game, fixing bugs and developing it further, even though I would already be happy to keep playing it the way it is (minus a few things, but it's a rare thing to love every single bit, so I don't expect it).

Edited by junawood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, junawood said:

That's something I don't like about Minecraft. Setting a new spawn point is way too easy, so easy that it happens even if you don't want it, just because you slept in bed for other reasons. In Vintage Story it is a goal to achieve if you want it and it's a conscious decision, but if you don't want to do some work for it, you can easily cheat and get as many temporal gears as you want from the creative mode.

I certainly don't mind working for it, but I do oppose the randomness of dropping and having to grind for that drop.

I don't see the problem with the way that MInecraft did it, and would hope that VS would improve on that, maybe make it so that sleeping in somebody else's bed (for God knows what reason) would prompt the player if he/she wants to make that the spawn point, not make nearly endless grinding for a Temporal gear the main way of doing it.

While the game shouldn't be built exclusively for a casual, it shouldn't be built only for the grinders that want everything as hard as it can be and as random as it can be, not if the developers want this to be a commercial success.

If this is just a hobby for them, then by all means, make it exactly as you want it, but if this is to be a commercial success, you have to cater to all (or nearly all) else you alienate some of your revenue stream.

Edited by City Builder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno. I'm a very casual player, mostly spending my time wandering around looking at scenery and ruins. I haven't had any trouble coming up with the odd temporal gear or two just in the course of my meanderings.

Perhaps if you're focused on "gotta get that gear!", then it becomes a grind. Whereas if you just become immersed in experiencing the VS world, it happens naturally during the course of getting through the day/week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, anyone and everyone is free to join Discord :)

At the top of the website, next to the Forum tab, there is a Chat tab. It takes you right to the Discord server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 4:15 PM, City Builder said:

While the game shouldn't be built exclusively for a casual, it shouldn't be built only for the grinders that want everything as hard as it can be and as random as it can be, not if the developers want this to be a commercial success.

Ditto. All games need a balance. To design a game that only appeals to the hardcore masochist is not wise.

"Here I am trudging two thousand blocks back to my home, because a drifter shanked me in my sleep. Gosh, isn't this game grand?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 1:15 AM, City Builder said:

I do oppose the randomness of dropping and having to grind for that drop

First: randomness = luck -> feels great

And like @dakko said, you don't necessarily have to grind unless you want to force it, and definitely not "nearly endless". If you just play the game, you'll get temporal gears from drifters or traders, or maybe even from panning or ruins. And then it feels great to be lucky to find one, because it's not a trivial everyday thing like sleeping in a bed in Minecraft. If you play the game long enough, you keep getting temporal gears once in a while, sometimes several at once, and if you have no use for them, you might even end up with a good pile of them.

If you want to see one example, watch Nathan Wostrel's Video where he got several temporal gears in a temporal storm and could repair a translocator with them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T86MhT5ngDo

 

On 10/17/2020 at 1:15 AM, City Builder said:

I don't see the problem with the way that MInecraft did it

Resetting the spawn point in Minecraft isn't special or a satisfying goal to achieve but keeps happening basically every single day, even if you don't want it.

 

On 10/17/2020 at 1:15 AM, City Builder said:

if this is to be a commercial success, you have to cater to all (or nearly all) else you alienate some of your revenue stream.

If you try to please everyone, you might end up pleasing no one. Games (and most other things) are never for everyone, they are always for a group of people who like the characteristics of that one thing, may it be cute, horror, complex, simple, whatever... Not sure what VS will end up like and the group it's appealing to might shift over time, but saying that needing a little luck or work or just playing the game for a while to get a temporal gear will mean less income for the developers is...

Edited by junawood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, junawood said:

If you try to please everyone, you might end up pleasing no one.

On the other hand, if you please too few you end up pleasing too few. How niche does this game want to be? I think the spawn point is not worth arguing about, but it worries me that the old timers insist it's an absolutely essential mechanic that cannot be changed. Because trudging to school in the snow, uphill, both ways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 9:12 AM, Robert Johnson said:

You can also find temporal gears very rarely by panning gravel or sand (as well as a bunch of other stuff - copper, sphalerite, and cassiterite ore chunks; flint; chunk and clear quartz; spearheads and arrowheads; Rusty Gears for currency; pieces of jewelry and other accessories - panning is a great way to get a little bit of everything). I've found about 3-4 of the 8 gears I have right now by this method. The others I got off surface drifters. I haven't been underground much yet (and even when I do, I haven't gone much below Y 400 yet. My world is 1024 blocks high), so can't comment on whether they can be found in ruins underground yet.

Hold up, You can find cassiterite by panning? So far i have only found copper and quartz. But if cassiterite can be found by panning then i may be panning some more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AngryRob said:

Hold up, You can find cassiterite by panning? So far i have only found copper and quartz. But if cassiterite can be found by panning then i may be panning some more. 

You can, but boy does it take a while. That list of stuff is what I found with about six full stacks of gravel panned, five granite stacks and one basalt. I'm not sure if cassiterite is more common depending on which gravel or sand you pan. I haven't gotten that deep into the probabilities yet. I didn't find much mind you, I'm definitely not swimming in it by any means. I don't even think it was enough to get a full pickaxe. Maybe to make a tin bronze pick or two, I'll have to check. I don't have the copper to tin ratio memorized. I'm still prospecting around the starting area of my world to see if I can find a deposit worth digging for. My world is 1024 blocks high, so sea level for me is around 440. I've dug down to around 180 in one spot and found a ton of copper because I got an ultra high reading from the surface, but I know the numbers on cassiterite are much smaller even when you get a reading that good.

Edited by Robert Johnson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.