Add Fahrenheit temperature display option

Cameron Textor

There are only a dozen countries (even counting Canda to them) worldwide that use Fahrenheit in any way. Therefore i don't think it should be a high priority to implement a system that takes temperatures and converts them in another scale.

But i think such a system could make it easier for modders and players. For example an US modder adding something that uses temperature (let's say a steam engine) could just program it in the scale they use and behind the scenes the game would convert it to the prefered temperature scale for any player.

And such a system could do even more, for example a modder could program totally other scales for immersion purposes and instead of having to modify every item they only need to add it to the conversion table, such a conversion system could handle weights and volumes and temperatures. maybe vintarians measure weight in rusty gears (just as a dumb example one gear could be around 0.1kg/0.22lbs) and volumens in metal units (100 per ingot, could be equivalent to 1 litre maybe?).

And for the few that would like a Kelvin scale, heck that'll be no problem either with such a conversion system.

BUT I'm not sure how much workload such a system might create for the players pc if everyone uses different scales in their mods (and some people like to heavily mod their game) and it has to convert it on the fly, maybe it could look for any used scales in used mods and convert everything in there before starting the game, might lengthen the loading time a tiny bit but then it won't have to do it on the fly...

• Like 1

That's way too much, man. Any recipes or functions within the game should go off of Celsius within the code for consistency's sake. Maybe at the very end you add an option that changes the display output from Celsius to Fahrenheit, but coding both temperatures for everything is... not desirable.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

That's way too much, man. Any recipes or functions within the game should go off of Celsius within the code for consistency's sake. Maybe at the very end you add an option that changes the display output from Celsius to Fahrenheit, but coding both temperatures for everything is... not desirable.

My idea was more you program only one (no matter which) and a conversion will be done by the game, that way the modder doesn't even have to know how to convert fahrenheit to celsius or vice versa.

• 1 year later...
On 12/6/2020 at 8:35 AM, l33tmaan said:

Seems to me that it would only take a few lines of code to add a function that lets you choose in the options what scale to use then a simple calculation to display in that scale. I could be wrong, but I know it's hard fur me, being from the us, to conceptualize what say 10 degrees Celsius feels like. I know it's above freezing, and I assume under boiling, but is it? I have no clue unless I google the conversion.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I grew up and have lived life using the F scale for temperature.  BUT I just think of the temp in VS as a Flibernotchy temperature scale.  It doesn't matter what it is as all I have to worry about is my crops are planted and growing between the low and high number.  Once I stopped trying to impose my reality on the game, the temperature lost it's confusing nature.

• Like 1

I've stopped caring even that much. So what if production is halved? I'm not doing anything else with the dirt, and half of something is better than all of nothing. If it freezes, so what? I get the seeds back. So even if I do happen to play long enough to plant next spring, taking the chance of getting a crop  didn't cost me anything but a couple small fractions of a second. and at the very least, saved me the time and effort to have to clear the blocks that decided to grow grass.

• 5 months later...

The US has only 100 million less people then the entire EU, which should show how stupid the 'only the US' argument is (And that point is wrong anyways).

On 1/18/2022 at 11:12 AM, Davis said:

I think this is a massive waste of time for the developers. Use google and google your conversions. If you don't use metric often, you'll learn it as you convert temperatures more. Nobody uses the Fahrenheit except the US.

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2022 at 9:12 AM, Davis said:

I think this is a massive waste of time for the developers. Use google and google your conversions. If you don't use metric often, you'll learn it as you convert temperatures more. Nobody uses the Fahrenheit except the US.

1. The conversion is a very simple implementation for modders (not much time needed).
2. Sure, it can be learned, but modding it in is a quicker solution compared to learning something. People are lazy.

3. The U.S. might only be roughly 4% of the world's population, but that is still over 300 million people. 

On 12/6/2020 at 9:35 AM, l33tmaan said:

That's literally the entire point. The coded temps should still be in C, but people want to see the F conversion on their screen for easier comparisons to what they understand IRL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.