Writing challenge - describe me this screenshot :D

Tyron

So while tinkering on the game I had a random notion. We can't really convey smell, temperature, humidity or touch in game. But maybe some imaginative text can!

Describe me in 200 words or less, how would it feel to be in this place
For reference, this area currently experiences a strong breeze, 28.8°C temp and 80% or so humidity
warm.thumb.png.38c3d47dacf99bf94d29075049843df8.png

The winner gets a free game key! \o/
Submission end: May 27 3:30 PM GMT+2

• Like 3
  • Wolf Bait 2

hmmm

Feels pretty hot and stuffy, the wind gives you hope for a short while until you realize that it's just another source of heat. The high humidity does the rest to make you feel like you entered a sauna, when taking a deep breath the smell of damp vegitation enters your head, the stale water in the pond slightly smelly, nothing you would want to drink without boiling it for quite a while. The only saving grace is that it's not actually THAT hot. A good description would be early summer in a jungle in south east asia

Edited by Kaelty

It was muggy. . . She sighed and wiped the sweat from her brow as she trudged along through the near liquid air. She'd come from the north, where cool weather was normal and the water in the air was low. Here, though, everything was water. Rushes and leaves danced in the brisk breeze and the clouds occasionally obscured the blazing sun. . . The only things making the warmth and humidity bearable to her northern blood. . . But that bamboo would be worth it, she thought, as she reached the grove. Strong wood to build the scaffolding for her mate's projects. . . But first. . . A refreshing dip in the pond. . . Then back to work!

• Like 5
  • Amazing! 1

I'm initially struck by the scent of wet ferns, with a somewhat floral tinge, the air feeling thick with moisture. Walking for just a moment brings up a sticky layer of sweat; the shade provided by clouds and foliage is much appreciated. Clouds of flies buzz around, particularly along the water edge, adding to the level of discomfort. I sit down on a patch of short mossy grass, only to realise after a moment's calm that the surface is crawling with ants! They trail in neat little lines up and down bamboo and tree, crisscrossing in an organised chaos beneath my oblivious feet. Perhaps another spot...

• Like 2

Fighting off insects and bothersome plants, they push through thick shrubbery and finally enter a clearing where they can rest. The sun has been shining on their heads for a good while now, so finding a spot like this was very fortunate. They've been travelling all day in the heat, just to find some bamboo to finish off their home. They entered the space, laid down their weapons and took in the environment; they were surrounded by large flora and smaller palm trees, all swaying in the wind carelessly. It seemed like time had stopped while they were here. And at the far end of the clearing stood the exact thing they were here for: bamboo. They dipped their tired feet in the cooling pond, ready to regain energy. "We'll collect the bamboo and head out in a few minutes," thought each one as they laid their heads on the soft damp grass. Though through their enjoyment, they haven't noticed that the sun has started to set, and the monsters will come out of hiding soon enough...

• Like 4

A warm summer breeze sets the grass to swaying, carrying on it the scent of the world around you; Earthen, woody, the smells of bamboo and moss carrying on the wind. It's not an unpleasant aroma... Dulled, mayhaps, by the humid air, but nevertheless a constant reminder of this land's fertility. 
Even more so evident is the noise. A cacophony of sound, from the gentle lapping of water to the soft clattering of bamboo stalks colliding with one another, to the creaking of swaying palms and the chirrups of unseen birds; All joining together to create a peaceful melody, rustling leaves and grass providing an ever constant backdrop to nature's lullaby.

It serves as a reminder of what awaits the world. That such vibrant life should bloom here, thriving in a carefully balanced ecosystem of flora and fauna. This is what everything returns to, in the end... No matter the strife or the triumph. The terrors and the dreams... It all resets to this blissful serenity, in the end.

• Like 4

Thick with divebombing insects and moisture, the clawing air rebuffs all attempts to move it from a stiff breeze which at least gives you a moments relief from the humidity. As you push through the smooth bamboo and coarse tree bark you wonder why amongst all this colorful and vibrant life the overwhelming stench is of rotting plants.

I feel kind of bad, because I look at that picture and it just looks like a grassland with a couple of funny-looking trees in it. Having lived in a swamp for half my life, there isn't that GREENNESS I get when I go back home. Humid, muggy areas are typically REALLY lush. The hanging vines from the trees are a start, but you could honestly make the grass twice as tall and choke up the waters with more plants.

I can totally hear insects buzzing, though. That kind of ambiance is vital for any swamp/jungle area.

• Like 3

Where is this place? 

You stand in a field of green

Amongst primitive plants not previously seen

Bending as the wind strongly blows 

But swamp, not fresh, smells fill your nose.

False hope of cool comes as leaves rustle in your ears 

But hope of relief dies as the hot wind sears

Your skin prickles in the damp heat

And the earth smells fetid, just like peat.

The wind dies, leaving behind heat and damp

All around the bamboo smells green and rank

Your feet sink into the sodden ground

And lush plant perfume is all around.

In the hot quiet the ancient tree ferns towards you reach 

Almost appearing to plead and beseech

Hoping to embrace you for evermore 

To sink with them to the forest floor.

The heat, the damp, the still, oppressive jungle air

The natural beauty that is everywhere

What is this green and fascinating place?

Where is it found in time and space?

Its a very seductive computer game 

And Vintage Story is its name. 

• Like 4

The humid air rests heavy on your damp skin as you survey the area. Countless unseen insects can be heard, their song mingling with the sound of the wind in the bamboo grove and brush surrounding you.  The stagnant smell of algae and wet earth catches your attention for a moment, coming from a nearby pond, but the scent is quickly lost in the strong breeze.  You are keenly aware that any number of dangers could be lurking nearby, despite the serene looking nature of the place, and you proceed with caution.

Edited by Thalius
  • Like 1

It's a very warm place, the sun makes you feel like melting, but the few clouds and trees providing a bit of shadow makes it a bit more bearable. A very light breeze makes its way from the right, without any trees stoping them from making its way to help ease the heat. The air feels dense and heavy with its humidity, you can barely smell the scent of the grass around you, and the mosquitoes living there won't stop bothering you. Through their buzzing you can faintly hear the sound of some wild animal wandering around the forest nearby, as well as the sound of grass being squashed on the dampy area as you walk around. 

Its hot and muggy and im dripping wet with all the sweat from the hot humid heat. I have bugs all over me and under my shirt that is completely soaked from building my house out of the bamboo. After a hard days work i like to wash up in the nice cool water and watch the sunset behind the trees.

Looks like a normal day in early June where I live, central Florida. I had to convert the temp, about 84.5 F which isn't that hot here. (I find heat is very relative)  Humidity would be bad if there was no breeze, but  a strong breeze makes it a decent day. A perfect day to go swimming.  So, very warm, but the breeze makes it a good day for a tropical climate. No overheating at that temp. but maybe a sunburn if you aren't careful.

Mid summer here is 95F or 35C and the humidity would be 95%, but there is almost always a breeze, since we have oceans on both sides. 

Edited by breeze108
wanted to add something.

Like in SCP: Containment Breach, they were limited on the ways they could convey what the player would feel (not exactly like this situation but similar)

This specific scene (while combining the different value sentences) would probably be like

"You feel a strong breeze. You have a slight cozy feeling."

83F (I converted) doesn't really feel hot if I remember correctly and I'm sure with the strong breeze it'll feel a bit on the colder side, but the high humidity might counter that just a bit... I honestly can't measure temperature correctly

the reason I said "combining the different value sentences" is because I meant like, "You feel a strong breeze." is the sentence for the wind level value or whatever and "You have a slight cozy feeling." is for the temperature (humidity has effect on temperature, pretty sure higher humidity means the temperature is higher, forgot if it's dependent or independent)

it would be neat if a system like that would come into the game, but I wouldn't really ask for it over anything else

would be pretty fast to make though right? so might as well

EDIT 2:04 PM 5/20/2021; Just went outside and yeah the humidity does indeed make it a lot warmer, changing some things in this now

I live in Florida by the waywarm.thumb.png.38c3d47dacf99bf94d29075049843df8.png.aec84aa32a36844137ed5092228f1a09.png

Edited by Yattagu
  • Like 1

You fall, your head hitting the ground as the heat rips your soul from your body. A sharp breeze awakens you to an unfamiliar world...

You're sitting at the restaurant with your young son, he says he is hungry. You agree to get him dinner. You open up to the kids menu, your child is far too young for adult food. Chicken nugger, stares are you from the page. You don't understand...

Your palms get sweaty and your son complains, he says he is hungry. Your mind strains, searching for an answer, in a world of sweer potato and french fried. You try to order the chicken nugger but you can not. The words can not escape your lips. Your son is hungry, he complains.

The waitress stares at you, her head a spinning chicken nugger, her arms swinging french fried, your son cries the tears of a chicken nuggerless child. In your mind you scream: "It is raining sweer potato now!". You have french fried engraved on your left temple and you do not understand.

Your son weeps in the corner, he is starving.
Starving, for the chicken, nugger...

(Disclaimer: I don't need another copy of the game I'm just entering for fun and if anyone asks Ashantin is at fault xp)

Wind whispered melodies
A ripple through heat
Reeds swaying in gentle breeze
The rustling of leaves

My weary feet rested
In emerald shade
Sun dappling the waterside
Tree filtered light

I listen to the gently lapping
Cold wet against my toes
At night I'll count the countless stars
Both waterlogged and high above
While I remain
Earthbound and here
Where humid air will caress me
Into a fitful sleep

• Like 1

My entry:

Pinky glances around to observe the beautiful and sunny day. He feels the warm wind gusting, and can see the nearby trees and bamboo swaying as a result. The air is thick and a layer of sweat is building up all over his body, making his clothing stick to him. The nearby pond looks very inviting and makes him want to dive in in an attempt to cool down. Instead he closes his eyes, so that he can take in even more info. He hears the insects and birds mixing into a glorious cacophony. He smells the sweet bamboo and salivates at the thought of roasting it with some pork that he has stored back home in his cellar. He opens his eyes, reaches into his backpack, and pulls out his hand scythe. He ruminates on what all he can build with the bamboo while he chops it down. Before he leaves, he pulls out his map and marks the location so that he can come back later for the rest of the bamboo.

Edited by Pinky
  • Like 1

Everyone always thinks they'd want to be in a sea of green with no one around. Truth is, it's a green hell, and the only savior from the near 30°c heat is the warm muggy wind. Dense grass and trees leave you no sanctum to the swarms of bugs looking for a ride or meal. You'd think the little pond near by would offer some relief but all it does is make the air even more humid. Without proper clothing and protective gear you'll sweat out any water you can find that's drinkable. The only good thing about the surrounding area is the bountiful shade and frequent clouds to block the sun, though it's little more than a small peace of mind.

Edited by Phacops
Typo

The thing that strikes me most about that picture is the lack of dense grass/weeds and shrubbery.
There's also a bit of a lack of parasitic/creeping plant life (vines, moss, fungus, etc.) growing on the trees.
When you're in a high humidity biome, plant life fills in EVERY last available crack of open real estate.

Pic related.

jungle.png

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.