Homesteading part 2 (v1.16.0-pre.1)

Tyron

On 11/20/2021 at 3:54 PM, Tyron said:

Crates: Beautiful single item mass storage, with item labels and visible contents

at last a use for them, yay!

Ground storage tweaks: Can now place shoes on the ground and on shelves

i guess that's a nice deco thing to have... and of course it has some rp uses too...

Easy modded server joining: The game now tries to download mods from the VS Mod DB, no more manual installing required

That's really useful! No more wondering, and having to look up which mod version a server needs...

Tweak: Disable seasonal grass coverage changes. Causes large stutter with radeon cards, as it has to retesselate lots of chunks

i'm a bit confused... using a rx580 i didn't feel that stutter, so i guess the tweak will cause it?

Fixed: Pit kiln not emitting light

under which circumstances didn't they do that? Or does that mean now they don't emit light anymore? But shouldn't they? I mean they are kinda just big campfires the way they are built... thought about using pitkilns for the light of a light house...

12 hours ago, Hal13 said:

i'm a bit confused... using a rx580 i didn't feel that stutter, so i guess the tweak will cause it?

I experienced heavy stutter on a new world, on a RX 6600 XT, which was greatly mitigated by this change

12 hours ago, Hal13 said:

under which circumstances didn't they do that? Or does that mean now they don't emit light anymore? But shouldn't they? I mean they are kinda just big campfires the way they are built... thought about using pitkilns for the light of a light house...

They were not emitting light, now they do

The bamboo and fern trees forests seems to be way more dense than in v1.15. In v1.15, the density calculation was perfect, because it was always possible to find a way out without struggling more than 2 seconds. But now, it is a hell. The player can easily get stuck in those large mazes, which can turn into a nightmare, especially when followed by drifters.

I really think that v1.15 design was optimal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saricane said:

The bamboo and fern trees forests seems to be way more dense than in v1.15. In v1.15, the density calculation was perfect, because it was always possible to find a way out without struggling more than 2 seconds. But now, it is a hell. The player can easily get stuck in those large mazes, which can turn into a nightmare, especially when followed by drifters.

I really think that v1.15 design was optimal.

No such changes were made in 1.16.

What you're seeing is very likely the result of random chance. One world seed generated a lighter area, another seed generated more dense area.

7 hours ago, Streetwind said:

What you're seeing is very likely the result of random chance. One world seed generated a lighter area, another seed generated more dense area.

I just made some tests using the same seed with 1.15 and 1.16. I know, I absolutely know that even with the same seed, I cannot have the exact same map, because grass, plants and trees placement are not the same. But the overall look of the map will be the same. Where there must be, let say, an acacia forest, there will be an acacia forest, even if each inidividual tree is not at the same place.

So, even if this little test is not a validation, we can see a great difference of density between the two versions, for the fern trees. That's just my personnal feeling, because after having played on several 1.15 maps on hot areas, I have never encountered such dense areas.

i1-15.jpg

i2-15.jpg

i3-15.jpg

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Saricane said:

The bamboo and fern trees forests seems to be way more dense than in v1.15. In v1.15, the density calculation was perfect, because it was always possible to find a way out without struggling more than 2 seconds. But now, it is a hell.

Sounds perfect! I can't wait to find some...

Not sure if I am missing something here i am using the latest pre release 5 if i am not mistaking can you not light torches inside campfires? Or is this something that Tyron is already aware about. I have been away from the game for a bit so if this something that was changed in another update I do apologize.

15 minutes ago, Erland said:

Not sure if I am missing something here i am using the latest pre release 5 if i am not mistaking can you not light torches inside campfires? Or is this something that Tyron is already aware about. I have been away from the game for a bit so if this something that was changed in another update I do apologize.

Now, you must craft a unlit torch with a stick and 2 grass. Then you can lit this torch on the campfire.

13 hours ago, Hells Razer said:

Such a recipe change should be documented on the changelog then.

That was an accidental change.  It was worked on but not finished, and was supposed to have been 'stowed away' till a later point (possibly in another pre version, or sometime later).  But apparently it did not get totally stowed.  That's why it wasn't in the changelog - it wasn't supposed to be there yet.

On 11/20/2021 at 6:54 AM, Tyron said:

Added sling tool. Exclusive ranged weapon for the malefactor (improviser trait)

As someone who loved learning about Greek and Balearic slingers, I'm very excited by this (and in general whenever lesser known medieval/antiquity weapons are present in games). This might make me play as a Malefactor instead of a Hunter, just to play "catch" with a Drifter. Let's see whose stone can hit harder. Now if only crossbows were a base game alternative to the bow so I wouldn't have to worry about mod conflicts...

1.16 pre 7 Vanilla with standard settings.

Got a 10 hours in pre-release so far made it back to bronze. Haven't fully tested whole thing but restarted vanilla with no mods in new world..

I do have a big concern:

Drifters throwing rocks needs tweaking and rebalancing.

In my mind it was to alleviate farming them in drifter pit

But collateral problems arises from current implementation :

1-Takes durability off your armor fast as you get hit, no way to block with shield (unless it's planned) except hide or block placement.

2-Damage source is gravity based not via what drifter tier throw them or via what you wear?(I'll need to test it further to make sure..will follow with more later on).

3- Makes drifters a massive nuissance, makes cave exploration way more dangerous but also not fun. Their loot really sucks. Risks vs rewards in vs is really really really dry because of how the loot tables is % wise and what's in the loot tables. There isnt anything for the people who have gotten 1 temporal gear and have a flax field and know how to trade with traders to get rusty gears...

So in single player and in MP, whats gonna happen? People will just log off(makes drifters despawn), avoid them but then what 50% of each 48 minutes... unless rift activity is calm...you hide afk in your base. People already log off whenever a storm occurs or even when it's night. What do people do in SP? They sleep. While you can modify this settings i dont feel like coordinating 15 people to go sleep whenever night and or a storm occurs is fun.

4- The knockback is massive if you get hit from behind while moving ( can push you like 4 blocks ahead while you run) or on stone path. I think intent is to have you push off pillar when stationary which is fine in my book tough..

5- Drifters keep shooting non stop (unlimited ammo).

5b- Drifters recharge time is too fast might wanna add time for realism to pick up stones from ground to recharge.

5c- Drifter range seems bit too far 

6- Drifters got almost perfect direct aim, they switch from melee and or range like almost instantly depending on situation even before you notice them on surface you'll hear stones flying by or hit you.

Suggestions:

A) Modify throwing stats according to drifter tier introducting stats such as total of projectiles, accuracy, range, recharge time, aim time, type of dmg/projectiles used.

• Surface drifter (low nb of rocks, low accuracy, low range, higher recharge time, long aim time, stone thrower)
  • Deep drifter (medium NB of rocks, medium accuracy, low range, higher recharge time, medium aim time, stone thrower)
  • Tainted drifter ( low NB of rocks and low NB of armor scraps, medium accuracy, medium recharge time, med range, medium aim time, stone thrower and rarely throws metal scrap (does more dmg)
  • Corrupted drifter (med nb of armor scraps, medium accuracy, medium recharge time, medium range, med-higher accuracy, throws armor scraps
  • Nightmare drifter (high NB of armor scraps, higher accuracy, low-medium recharge time, higher range, high accuracy, throws armor scraps
  • Double-headed drifter - similar to nightmare.

B) Implement ways to block projectiles with shields

C) Tweak dmg and or boost armor durability and or % protection depending on whom throws what projectile and what tier it is...

Could also make throwing rocks disabled from surface drifters.

Need to seriously think of a way to boost the drifter loot tables...right now theirs no point to kill drifters once you've repaired a few TLs in singleplayer and setted your spawn point. Cant we get some decent rare loot? Rusty gears/flax fibers worth NOTHING past 20-25 hours played in this game if you know what your doing as you'll already have a sustained amount from flax farming, rusty gears source is negligible with drops %. I feel there needs to be a rethinking on the risk vs rewards here. If only they were protecting something in ruins or caves at least...

How long can someone with tier 4 armor last vs 5 drifters shooting at him or how long can a noob with nothing and 15 go withstand a barrage of 8 surface drifter throwing stones at him/her?

Edited by Aledark
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Aledark said:

1.16 pre 7 Vanilla with standard settings.

Got a 10 hours in pre-release so far made it back to bronze. Haven't fully tested whole thing but restarted vanilla with no mods in new world..

I do have a big concern:

Drifters throwing rocks needs tweaking and rebalancing.

In my mind it was to alleviate farming them in drifter pit

But collateral problems arises from current implementation :

1-Takes durability off your armor fast as you get hit, no way to block with shield (unless it's planned) except hide or block placement.

2-Damage source is gravity based not via what drifter tier throw them or via what you wear?(I'll need to test it further to make sure..will follow with more later on).

3- Makes drifters a massive nuissance, makes cave exploration way more dangerous but also not fun. Their loot really sucks. Risks vs rewards in vs is really really really dry because of how the loot tables is % wise and what's in the loot tables. There isnt anything for the people who have gotten 1 temporal gear and have a flax field and know how to trade with traders to get rusty gears...

So in single player and in MP, whats gonna happen? People will just log off(makes drifters despawn), avoid them but then what 50% of each 48 minutes... unless rift activity is calm...you hide afk in your base. People already log off whenever a storm occurs or even when it's night. What do people do in SP? They sleep. While you can modify this settings i dont feel like coordinating 15 people to go sleep whenever night and or a storm occurs is fun.

4- The knockback is massive if you get hit from behind while moving ( can push you like 4 blocks ahead while you run) or on stone path. I think intent is to have you push off pillar when stationary which is fine in my book tough..

5- Drifters keep shooting non stop (unlimited ammo).

5b- Drifters recharge time is too fast might wanna add time for realism to pick up stones from ground to recharge.

5c- Drifter range seems bit too far 

6- Drifters got almost perfect direct aim, they switch from melee and or range like almost instantly depending on situation even before you notice them on surface you'll hear stones flying by or hit you.

Suggestions:

A) Modify throwing stats according to drifter tier introducting stats such as total of projectiles, accuracy, range, recharge time, aim time, type of dmg/projectiles used.

• Surface drifter (low nb of rocks, low accuracy, low range, higher recharge time, long aim time, stone thrower)
  • Deep drifter (medium NB of rocks, medium accuracy, low range, higher recharge time, medium aim time, stone thrower)
  • Tainted drifter ( low NB of rocks and low NB of armor scraps, medium accuracy, medium recharge time, med range, medium aim time, stone thrower and rarely throws metal scrap (does more dmg)
  • Corrupted drifter (med nb of armor scraps, medium accuracy, medium recharge time, medium range, med-higher accuracy, throws armor scraps
  • Nightmare drifter (high NB of armor scraps, higher accuracy, low-medium recharge time, higher range, high accuracy, throws armor scraps
  • Double-headed drifter - similar to nightmare.

B) Implement ways to block projectiles with shields

C) Tweak dmg and or boost armor durability and or % protection depending on whom throws what projectile and what tier it is...

Could also make throwing rocks disabled from surface drifters.

Need to seriously think of a way to boost the drifter loot tables...right now theirs no point to kill drifters once you've repaired a few TLs in singleplayer and setted your spawn point. Cant we get some decent rare loot? Rusty gears/flax fibers worth NOTHING past 20-25 hours played in this game if you know what your doing as you'll already have a sustained amount from flax farming, rusty gears source is negligible with drops %. I feel there needs to be a rethinking on the risk vs rewards here. If only they were protecting something in ruins or caves at least...

How long can someone with tier 4 armor last vs 5 drifters shooting at him or how long can a noob with nothing and 15 go withstand a barrage of 8 surface drifter throwing stones at him/her?

They could spawn with a set number of stones in their inventory, but all of random types, and that would form part of their loot table, as guaranteed drops. Say upto three different types of stone, up to 20 stones in total. That's all the ammo they have. So it gives you a chance of getting rare stones like Tuff, Scorcia, Phyllite, or Marble; and it'd be a way of distributing other important stone types like Halite, Bauxite, and Limestone. Some seeds require you to travel  50,000+ blocks before finding the one stone type you need. This would make it possible to drip-feed content to players, in an immersive, and fair way.

Edited by ApacheTech
  • Like 10

On 12/11/2021 at 3:52 AM, Aledark said:

If you look in official discord devlog there is some shield shown in the latest posts, Together with everything else showing there from time to time, i think Tyron is aware of things like these. Yet it's cool you gave your feedback as i haven't tried this version. I like caves being dangerous yet that need to be more predictable and possible to avoid for those who want to live "peacefully". Also the new rift-like thing video posted on official youtube channel!!!!....  I will wait for official update. I am sure it will be amazing! ;)

Edited by Domkrats

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.