WHERE ARE POTATOES TYRON

Narcosis

POTATOES  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should Tyron summon this once lost magnificent specimen - the food of gods, the lunch of champions - to Vintage Story?

• Yay
    • Nay
    • I'd prefer Jerusalem artichoke, in fact.

potatoes.thumb.png.79d39e68785a6d8c2987411487a30de9.pngpotatoes2.thumb.png.efee7291fdb4f1d3e181332f96421e23.png

Turnips and soybeans as staple crop but no potatoes? Are you kidding me? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO SURVIVE ON SUCH DIET.

I will summon ten centuries of pestilence to curse your farmlands for generations.

I DEMAND MY LITTLE POTATO FRIENDS, THE LUNCH OF CHAMPIONS.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nightshades would be a really good mod. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and of course the delicious nightshade berry plant. If you can make it so that you have to cultivate potatoes by dumping a soil block on them halfway through the growing process that would be extra nifty. (No, seriously, that IS how you grow potatoes IRL. Makes 'em produce more tubers.)

• Like 1

I'd be delighted with continually fruiting plants such as the bell peppers and tomatoes being finished, before something like potatoes.

19 hours ago, Michael Gates said:

Nightshades would be a really good mod. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, and of course the delicious nightshade berry plant. If you can make it so that you have to cultivate potatoes by dumping a soil block on them halfway through the growing process that would be extra nifty. (No, seriously, that IS how you grow potatoes IRL. Makes 'em produce more tubers.)

That is very true! I grow an awful lot of potatoes every year, and you really do add more soil (mostly a peat/soil mix, for me) a couple times to encourage more tubers. It works.

• Like 1

Potatoes would be grand to add. Hardy and filling are good for early planting. A potato box or some other form of potted crops would also be a delight to see. Next to a window with sunlight. Perfect.

• Like 1

I decided to look for information about when potatoes appeared in the Middle Ages. In the game we are presented with the years 1330-1350 (approximately). I don’t think they know potatoes yet. oh, sorry. here is the quote: "Cereal crops (except for rice, which was introduced into Europe relatively late), remained one of the most important products throughout the Early Middle Ages, since potatoes were introduced into use only in 1536, and became widespread much later". 

Potatoes are a "new world" plant, but the dev team has already been working on-and-off on implementing two others (bell pepper and tomato), so I don't think there's any reason we couldn't also have potatoes, regardless of the ingame year.

The much bigger hurdle is the one that's likely put the other new crops on the backburner too - they aren't strictly speaking required. They don't add anything new besides flavor and variety. And so they are inherently lower priority than stuff like new story dungeons, engine tech upgrades, and so on.

8 hours ago, BunnyKate said:

I decided to look for information about when potatoes appeared in the Middle Ages. In the game we are presented with the years 1330-1350 (approximately). I don’t think they know potatoes yet. oh, sorry. here is the quote: "Cereal crops (except for rice, which was introduced into Europe relatively late), remained one of the most important products throughout the Early Middle Ages, since potatoes were introduced into use only in 1536, and became widespread much later". 

The world in VS is a medieval fantasy. In-game years have nothing to do with actual dates, as far as I know.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:21 AM, Quiche said:

Potatoes would be grand to add. Hardy and filling are good for early planting. A potato box or some other form of potted crops would also be a delight to see. Next to a window with sunlight. Perfect.

My idea of a potato plant would be something based off P crops, which - instead of typically just planting - you'd have to dig up by removing the topsoil layer (potatoes would be within it), making that soil an investment required to grow the crop. Realistically, potatoes are extremely hardy plants (albeit not indestructible - the *cough* great famine *cough*) which don't require particularly good earth to grow in and well accustomed to growing in colder, more northern climates. Crop diseases included, it gives a lot ground to work on for a potential future content update - maybe something tied to alchemy/herbalism, which would require creating natural pesticides from wild herbs/flowers/plants which cold help you battle potential threats to your crops and/or making them stronger.

Jerusalem arthichoke is also interesting, being often called a hardier alternative to potatoes. It's a rather lengthy flowering plant looking a bit like tiny, wild sunflowers; I'd be interesting to see it included - and it kinda does fit the world setting too - being the first two-block high plant of sorts (thus requiring more space to grow).

I'm all for any of these, honestly BUT potatoes are must. Can't live without my potato friends.

6 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Potatoes are a "new world" plant, but the dev team has already been working on-and-off on implementing two others (bell pepper and tomato), so I don't think there's any reason we couldn't also have potatoes, regardless of the ingame year.

The much bigger hurdle is the one that's likely put the other new crops on the backburner too - they aren't strictly speaking required. They don't add anything new besides flavor and variety. And so they are inherently lower priority than stuff like new story dungeons, engine tech upgrades, and so on.

That's true. Tomatoes and bell peppers were postponed since they were meant to be first "perennial" crops - ones you basically plant once a year and as long as the requirements are met and plant is alive, it'll continuously flower and produce fruit; the downside is they would need to be planted early enough for them to have enough time to grow - as their growing period is much longer, making them an interesting alternative to basic crops, particularly in warmer climates. Their postponing was caused by need for new plant mechanics to be introduced.

More alternatives for different crop types and climate ranges are always good and I do hope we'll see more of them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.