Jump to content

Lazy_Warlock's Suggestion Collection


The_Lazy_Warlock
 Share

Recommended Posts

Lazy Warlock's Suggestion Collection

Hi everyone! So I came across the inevitable situation on discord where I asked the devs to add or change something in the game and it's already been mentioned a hundred times. So, I thought I'd start a sort of community list of "Most Frequent Suggestions" that people bring up. My goal is to not only reduce the redundancy of my own suggestions but to also focus on "mini-mods" that I plan to make.

Now, to be clear this is not a "Mod Request" or "Bugfix" page, instead it should act as a repository for the most common suggestions that people usually come across. 

Also, if you haven't already make sure to check out the VS Roadmap, which already has a great list of eventual features the devs have planned.

Here's my list so far of the most common suggestions I've come across. I've categorized them according to whether I'm willing/able to make a mod for them :P

Suggestions I'll probably make a mod for:

  • Converting planks to sticks (Done - Mod Here)
  • Stack-able Tool Heads (Done - Mod Here)
  • Alternative ways to gather lime (Done - Mod Here)
  • Different metal material costs for casting some items
  • Sharpening/maintaining tools
  • Double Knife Smithing Recipes (Done - Mod Here)
  • Potash Production through ash leaching (Done - Mod Here)
  • Knife and spear casting (Done - Mod Here)
  • Recovering material from unused toolheads and from anvils. 
  • Gathering straw from harvesting grain crops
  • Crafting grains into seeds
  • Wooden bee-boxes that can be reused
  • Stackable clay tool head molds
  • Clay Amphora for transporting liquids
  • Improved paths/roads made from brick
  • Extra food Recipes
    • Tofu
    • Cooked eggs
    • Stirfry - Using Rice/Oil as primary ingredient
    • Oil from Pumpkins, flax, soybeans, Kapok Seeds etc.
    • Bread Variants (sourdough, lyed, fruit etc.)
  • Semi-Magical ores, Mithril, Adamantine etc.
  • Extra weapons/expanded combat
  • Different roof types (IE thatch roof "stairs")
  • Making forged tools better than cast ones

Other common suggestions (that I won't be working on):

  • Recovering lost materials from metalworking (Done by Melchior - Mod Here)
  • Anything from Minecraft (redstone, rails, minecarts etc.)
  • Anything from Terrafirmacraft (Collapsing caves, alcohol etc.)
  • Mounts, including horses, dragons etc.
  • Ships and large, buildable ships (Might not even be feasible or worthwhile)
  • Thirst/Dehydration/Exposure option for hardcore survival
  • Complex magic system (Spells, divining, rituals etc.)
  • Decorative blocks
  • Skin options/player customization
  • Better Sprinting
  • Death Markers
  • Turntable/Potter's wheel for faster clayforming

Suggestions that are unlikely to ever be in the game (IE good ideas for modders)

  • Detailed butchering and animal skinning

Feel free to post any common suggestions you've come across and I'll likely add them to the list. If you have your own suggestion you can mention it here, but 

Edited by The_Lazy_Warlock
Updated Links
  • Like 3
  • Cookie time 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some of the other most common suggestions we see are mounts, boats, 'ships' (meaning multi-block ships), leads for moving animals, fishing, 'something like redstone', and the ability to tame wolves, just to name a few.  A pretty good general guideline is that if minecraft has a thing, then you don't need to suggest it.   We know about minecraft.  We know what they have in it.  We either already plan to have the feature in question in Vintage Story eventually, or we will not have it because it does not mesh with the devs' vision for Vintage Story.  Or it might be a technical nightmare (looking at you ships) with relatively low reward. 

Similarly, most of us on the team are very familiar with TFC, and so things from TFC like thirst, alcohol making, and mine collapse, we likewise know about and will or will not have, as may be appropriate.  It's not really necessary to remind us of them. 

You definitely have two of the most commonly suggested 'detail' items there: recovering scrap from metalworking, and sharpening/repair mechanic.    These are better types of suggestions for Vintage Story, as they deal with mechanics more particular to Vintage Story (though sharpening and body temperature stuff were also discussed a lot in TFC forums).  I'm not saying these examples haven't already been decided on, or will ever be in - just to be clear.  But at least they are not glaringly obvious things from minecraft or TFC.  Now of course we know not everyone has played TFC, or even minecraft.  But if you have, just know that we have too.

One idea I might give for a mod that won't likely be duplicated in vanilla, is a detailed butchering mechanic.  Some team members are averse to things like depictions of skinned animals, and viscera.  So the butchering mechanic of vanilla is not very likely to be much more detailed than it already is. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks redram! I'll add the ones you've mentioned. 

(I'll probably also add "anything form Minecraft or TFC" to the list)

And since you mentioned it, I think it might be a good idea to specify more things that definitely won't be added to the game (like detailed butchering). Of course, that's hard to say exactly because who knows what might end up fitting well into the game, but I think it will help modders who are looking for popular features that simply won't exist in Vanilla. 

For example, I doubt that VS will have an expansive "Magic" system, with fireballs and lightning and the like. But then again, I also don't have a direct line to Tyron or any of the other VS devs :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ya the butchering thing is a special case due to certain aversions.  Most other things I'd be loathe to comment on one way or another, because like you say, there's a lot not known at this point, and there's also grey areas.  Even magic, because some peoples' definition of magic may be different from someone elses', and translocators could already be considered 'magical' by some people.   I mean, it's pretty safe to say nuclear reactors won't be in the game too.  But even something like electricity - which is not planned generally speaking - might have grey areas.   Like if we let you re-vivify something in a 'Frankenstein' manner, for example, is the "electricity in the game"?   So ya, it's a lot easier to give examples of things that are suggested a lot, rather than things that probably won't ever be in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Balduranne said:

I was hoping you would hold off on this until I got a chance to confirm that we want to organize this in a more 'official' thread. 😅

Feel free to delete/lock this page if it's redundant, there's no need for two of them if this will distract from the official post.

But I think it would be a good idea to at least copy over Redram's post since it has some good insights into how the team operates. 

Edited by The_Lazy_Warlock
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just released a small mod that makes some tweaks to the VS game with a few assets, including:

  • Whittling wood items into sticks using knives and saws
  • Stacking tool heads
  • Gathering limestone rocks from muddy gravel using a wooden bucket

Next on the list:

  • Whetstones to sharpen/maintain tools with
  • Making some items use less metal material to cast (such as knives)
  • Gaining unused metal scrap from forging metals. 
Edited by The_Lazy_Warlock
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, The_Lazy_Warlock said:

Just released a small mod that makes some tweaks to the VS game with a few assets, including:

  • Whittling wood items into sticks using knives and saws
  • Stacking tool heads
  • Gathering limestone rocks from muddy gravel using a wooden bucket

Next on the list:

  • Making some items use less metal material to cast (such as knives)
  • Gaining unused metal scrap from forging metals. 

Haven't checked to see if you posted this yet in the mods section, but please update us when you get the up next stuff done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sparkle Kitti said:

Haven't checked to see if you posted this yet in the mods section, but please update us when you get the up next stuff done.

Will do! I'm getting sidetracked by making a whetstone mod actually. I'm stuck with a worn out pickaxe in my game and I don't want to go collecting copper nuggets again :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A thing that I see crop up from time to time, is the ability to add liners to lamps after they have been created, possibly even while they're in the game world. This could also be combined with making a dedicated lamp liner item, which makes it cheaper to add liners to lamps (as currently it's quite expensive)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2020 at 5:35 PM, Jeremy Betts said:

I wish this was also pinned under the other frequent suggestions, or compiled into one that gets updated frequently. 

Maybe it can be moved to the mods section? Since it would be a good checklist for modders to take a look at so they can spend their time on other mods.

On 3/21/2020 at 5:45 AM, LordJameh said:

A thing that I see crop up from time to time, is the ability to add liners to lamps after they have been created, possibly even while they're in the game world. This could also be combined with making a dedicated lamp liner item, which makes it cheaper to add liners to lamps (as currently it's quite expensive)

I can add it to the list under "Lamp Decorations"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Added some additional suggestions and Ideas I've gathered up:

These will be released in the next lazytweaks version (hopefully tonight or tomorrow)

  • Potash production through ash leaching 
  • Variable Casting costs for tools (I might add a "precise" version for especially frugal VS players)
  • Knife casting and double knife recipes for smithing 
  • Iron spears and spear casting
  • Cooked Eggs

New Suggestions I'll be working on (Not in any particular order):

  • Variant "Forged" tools that have better stats than regular cast ones. Will require better materials to make as well (IE, leather handle, plank haft and maybe resin)
  • Some variable roof types, including thatch and wood shingles. 
  • Melting down unused toolheads/disassembling tools and anvils. 
  • Crafting grain crops into seeds (Grains are seeds!)
  • Extra food types (Will be a new mod: "Vintage Cuisine")
    • Additional bread variants, such as sourdough, Lye (Pretzel bread) and pastry.
      • Sourdough will be made by sealing bread dough in a barrel, then baking it. It will last longer than regular bread.
      • Lye bread will be made by mixing regular dough with lye and then baking it. It will improve its saturation (more flavor!).
      • Pastry bread will be a different type of dough made from flour, water, eggs and fat. Will be expensive but have high saturation,will last a little longer and give some protein nutrition.
      • Fruit Bread, combining regular dough with berries
      • Spice Bread, which will require herbs/spices once they're released in VS.
    • Vegetable Oils, Can be rendered on a fireplace (maybe I'll make a cauldron to do this...)
    • Dried Berries
    • Tofu
    • Some kind of "stirfry" meal that uses rice, meat, veggies and fat/oil
  • Extra weapon types(Will be a new mod: "Vintage Armory")

New Suggestions for the devs/other modders:

  • Better sprinting
  • Death markers
  • Turntables/potter's wheel for faster/mechanized clayforming
  • Mechanical Press for processing foods/materials
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 1:10 AM, The_Lazy_Warlock said:
  • Extra food types (Will be a new mod: "Vintage Cuisine")
    • Additional bread variants, such as sourdough, Lye (Pretzel bread) and pastry.
      • Sourdough will be made by sealing bread dough in a barrel, then baking it. It will last longer than regular bread.
      • Lye bread will be made by mixing regular dough with lye and then baking it. It will improve its saturation (more flavor!).
      • Pastry bread will be a different type of dough made from flour, water, eggs and fat. Will be expensive but have high saturation,will last a little longer and give some protein nutrition.
      • Fruit Bread, combining regular dough with berries
      • Spice Bread, which will require herbs/spices once they're released in VS.
    • Vegetable Oils, Can be rendered on a fireplace (maybe I'll make a cauldron to do this...)
    • Dried Berries
    • Tofu
    • Some kind of "stirfry" meal that uses rice, meat, veggies and fat/oil

 

  • Mechanical Press for processing foods/materials

I am starting work on a new mod, Better Baking.

At Phase 1 of the mod I plan to include:

  • an oven for baking bread (similar mechanic to a clay pot, but accepts [2] uncooked bread items or 1 large item)
  • an amphora so that bread can be baked before a player has a Smithy (Smithy -> Saw -> planks -> bucket is currently a requirement for bread, seems extreme)
  • pie recipes  -   unbaked pies will be "large items" for the oven
  • pickled meat / ham

Example, a pie may be made as follows:

  1. pickle 1 meat 
  2. in a cooking pot, cook the pie filling from 1 pickled meat + 1 fresh meat + 1 onion  (many different filling recipes. aiming not to overlap with current stew recipes)
  3. craft the pie - from dough, filling, animal fat, and one optional "surprise" item like an egg
  4. bake the pie in the oven

This yields one food item with a crazy high amount of saturation, corresponding to all the ingredients cumulatively.  It can be partially eaten, similar to how a bowl of food can be partially eaten.  A good item to take on a long expedition.  It probably cannot be stacked (stacking this would be OP).   Various different recipes for different types of pie, but all fairly specific.  Meat pie, game pie, chicken + ham pie, chicken + mushroom pie, root vegetable pie.   The pie is perishable according to the average of the ingredients, with a bonus similar to the sealing bonus.  So pickled meats would make for a longer lasting pie.  

---

At Phase 2 of the mod I plan to include:

  • olive trees and farmable sunflower plants
  • olives and sunflower seeds
  • an oil press
  • the amphora from Phase 1 can be used with oil - I feel like VS is a good fit for ancient Greek / Roman tech
  • replace animal fat in the vegetable pie recipes with a vegetarian oil
  • pastry recipes involving oil, and the pie recipes now require pastry in place of dough
  • cake and tart recipes - again cake and tarts will be "large items" which can only be baked in the oven - the tarts will include fruits
  • sandwiches :)

 

Very happy to add other bread recipes and other sizes of bread as a collaboration - or to figure out some cross-mod compatibility so that modded bread doughs can be baked in my oven.

 

I am an experienced coder but not a very good pixel artist so I would be very glad to have a collaborator who is a good artist :D

 

I would be happy to work on a single joint food mod (Vintage Cuisine) if you wanted to work together - to avoid potential duplication and "mod sprawl".  Though I prefer the name Better Baking...

Edited by radfast
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sure I can help out with textures here and there. I work part-time for Vintage Story now, but I do a lot of documentation instead of modding at the moment so I've been itching to add some cool content mods.

I also want to avoid redundancies in mods, so I'd be willing to work together on something like this to make a fancy way of baking food items.  I can also do pretty nice looking shape models if you're don't want to do them.  

A few suggestions I'd have for the future though:
- Tyron plans on making fruit trees in the nearish future, so it would be good to wait on making a mod for them. Same goes for a fruit press and true ovens, but if it's not too much work it would still be a cool to have them in a mod. 
- Would be really cool to be able to place pies as well and have them be gradually sliced away as the player takes portions. That might help explain why it can't be stacked either. I could make a neat looking pie model for this, one that you can change the texture of the insides for with variant code. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome!

I think I'll do the oven first, as Tyron probably has a lot of other things to do (!) and the oven seems like a good place for me to start.  No worries if it eventually becomes redundant due to something in vanilla.

Can I suggest I get something coded for now then show it to you, and maybe you would see a way to improve the pie model.  Will be a few days...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just fyi guys, there exists already assets for a clay oven for bread and such.  Just hasn't been implemented yet.  You can go back to August 27th of 2018 in the #devlog channel on discord to see a picture.   Given that it's existing almost a year and a half, can't say if it'll be in any time soon though, so not trying to dissuade you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

what is TFC?

I know about minecraft but not sure what TFC is.

also I hear this is an easy game to mod and make custom recipes and such, could I bother someone for a link or something.

I've written code for 7 days to die mods I've made, I've used the Skyrim and Kenshi Construction kits for making my own mods for their respective games. and I would like to tweak some recipes in the current game a little and add some new crafting recipes for certain things that are already in the game but only craftable after getting a saw and I feel should be craftable earlier but at a reduced output so something like planks for building for example instead of a saw to cut logs into boards and then craft boards into planks. I want to just craft planks. to make planks at half the output rate of doing so with a saw and still no boards.

so I can start building right away and not need to run 10s of thousands of blocks picking up copper nuggets sparsely scattered across the map to make a pick and hammer to mine veins to spend 900 units of copper to make an anvil then a saw just so I can build with some stripped logs.

*plus I want to see how hard it would be to make a free range cooking recipe so that you can add whatever food you want to a recipe for stew or soup as long as the initial ingredients are their without restricting what foods you can add to the pot. besides the initial requirements that make it a stew or soup of course.

Edited by Sukotto82
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think  mithril can be considered aluminum. Not sure if that is in the game or not. 

3 hours ago, Sukotto82 said:

what is TFC?

I know about minecraft but not sure what TFC is.

also I hear this is an easy game to mod and make custom recipes and such, could I bother someone for a link or something.

I've written code for 7 days to die mods I've made, I've used the Skyrim and Kenshi Construction kits for making my own mods for their respective games. and I would like to tweak some recipes in the current game a little and add some new crafting recipes for certain things that are already in the game but only craftable after getting a saw and I feel should be craftable earlier but at a reduced output so something like planks for building for example instead of a saw to cut logs into boards and then craft boards into planks. I want to just craft planks. to make planks at half the output rate of doing so with a saw and still no boards.

so I can start building right away and not need to run 10s of thousands of blocks picking up copper nuggets sparsely scattered across the map to make a pick and hammer to mine veins to spend 900 units of copper to make an anvil then a saw just so I can build with some stripped logs.

*plus I want to see how hard it would be to make a free range cooking recipe so that you can add whatever food you want to a recipe for stew or soup as long as the initial ingredients are their without restricting what foods you can add to the pot. besides the initial requirements that make it a stew or soup of course.

What kenshi mods? Kenshi has one of the best modding communities out there. I think by TFC they are talking terrafirmacraft. I never did that mod. I did build craft, industrial craft, thaumcraft and dragon block c. 

 

For mod requests I want to see more uses for resin. Like crafting armor, tools, and weapons with it. Also concrete. A slab system where we pour concrete and wait for it to harden would be fun. Concrete roads that give a 5x run bonus? Maybe have a mixer that can be attached to the windmill?

Also more windmill stuff. The windmill is fun. It's fun to make, fun to watch, and fun to use. That is a hit out the ballpark and it would be a crime if Tyron did not add more windmill stuff to the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2020 at 2:47 PM, AngryRob said:

I think  mithril can be considered aluminum. Not sure if that is in the game or not. 

What kenshi mods? Kenshi has one of the best modding communities out there. I think by TFC they are talking terrafirmacraft. I never did that mod. I did build craft, industrial craft, thaumcraft and dragon block c. 

 

For mod requests I want to see more uses for resin. Like crafting armor, tools, and weapons with it. Also concrete. A slab system where we pour concrete and wait for it to harden would be fun. Concrete roads that give a 5x run bonus? Maybe have a mixer that can be attached to the windmill?

Also more windmill stuff. The windmill is fun. It's fun to make, fun to watch, and fun to use. That is a hit out the ballpark and it would be a crime if Tyron did not add more windmill stuff to the game. 

what kenshi mods? are you asking what ones I've made and published?

if so it's just a very simple mod that someone was asking for a starting squad of like 50 skeletons so I made one for them as well as an alternate one for someone else who liked it but wanted a different starting point. I've not released anything major for it just a really simple start mod called "Nobodies Start W/50 units" they specifically wanted a different start location in the south east area of the map I think it was. south of a crab village but east of some other place I forgot but it was very simple and I almost put a lot more into it but that's all they wanted so it was pretty basic anyone could have done it but I did it for them and published it. that and an alternate start for the other persons request for the same mod.

I was fully expecting more adjustments to be made but they seem to be happy with it they asked me to make a few changes that I already done and they seem to be happy with it.

I've made several mods that I never published for Kenshi as well mostly for my own use like new foods new food recipes new crops new crafting buildings book research and colored lanterns a custom race with custom faction custom armor weapons and crafting recipes for them but all that I just use for my own use I've not published any of that stuff. most of it like the weapons and armor are overpowered anyway so not much people would be interested in them that's why I just use them for my own gameplay since most people want balance;  A custom race with the hit points of a skeleton and a natural healing rate double that of the Shek race with no penalties like the greenlanders plus they consume only 20% of the amount of food humans do so they don't need to eat as much as well as having a very low bleed rate so they are nearly impossible to bleed out. they would heal faster than they bleed. that with armor that gives full body cover protection and 3 tiers of weapons above the Edge3 plus the race has a 20% chance to craft weapons and armor a tier above their level kinda makes it unbalanced so I just use it for myself.

besides all that if I published what I use for myself it would publish all the misc experimental test mods and things I experiment with because they are all connected. I would have to remake the mod I use for myself and just add the stuff I've actually finished working on without all the testing and experimental stuff.

Edited by Sukotto82
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/1/2020 at 4:58 PM, Sukotto82 said:

what kenshi mods? are you asking what ones I've made and published?

if so it's just a very simple mod that someone was asking for a starting squad of like 50 skeletons so I made one for them as well as an alternate one for someone else who liked it but wanted a different starting point. I've not released anything major for it just a really simple start mod called "Nobodies Start W/50 units" they specifically wanted a different start location in the south east area of the map I think it was. south of a crab village but east of some other place I forgot but it was very simple and I almost put a lot more into it but that's all they wanted so it was pretty basic anyone could have done it but I did it for them and published it. that and an alternate start for the other persons request for the same mod.

I was fully expecting more adjustments to be made but they seem to be happy with it they asked me to make a few changes that I already done and they seem to be happy with it.

I've made several mods that I never published for Kenshi as well mostly for my own use like new foods new food recipes new crops new crafting buildings book research and colored lanterns a custom race with custom faction custom armor weapons and crafting recipes for them but all that I just use for my own use I've not published any of that stuff. most of it like the weapons and armor are overpowered anyway so not much people would be interested in them that's why I just use them for my own gameplay since most people want balance;  A custom race with the hit points of a skeleton and a natural healing rate double that of the Shek race with no penalties like the greenlanders plus they consume only 20% of the amount of food humans do so they don't need to eat as much as well as having a very low bleed rate so they are nearly impossible to bleed out. they would heal faster than they bleed. that with armor that gives full body cover protection and 3 tiers of weapons above the Edge3 plus the race has a 20% chance to craft weapons and armor a tier above their level kinda makes it unbalanced so I just use it for myself.

besides all that if I published what I use for myself it would publish all the misc experimental test mods and things I experiment with because they are all connected. I would have to remake the mod I use for myself and just add the stuff I've actually finished working on without all the testing and experimental stuff.

by the time i got into modding kenshi, i got bored with it. I was building "kenshi field" for a simpsons mod, which would have a mr burns as a faction leader, and he would have a special event called "release the hounds" that would send a pack of 200 bone dogs to any settlement that offended him. I was inspired after the hank hill mod for kenshi. Then i just stopped playing. I can't complain, i got 3000 hours in that game, and reported a nasty bug during beta testing. I saw death beard fulfill his dream to the best of his abilities. best 19 dollars i ever spent, so far. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.