Wraithhunter

The Works!

Intro

Downloads are at the bottom of this post. Feel free to skip past this if that's all you're looking for, there's ingame documentation if you need a starting point.

The works is a series of mods I've been working on to fix many of the quality of life issues I've found while playing vintage story and to add some immersion to already existing mechanics, I adore this game and want to see it become more than it already is.

As of right now I've reached a point with the first mod in the series "Quarry Works" (more details of which can be found below) that I'm happy with it and am putting it into the world for ya'll to break, go forth and find edge cases! I welcome bug reports, report them via discord! On that note, anything relating to this mod can be found on the discord page for it, which can be found here! If you have any questions or concerns I can be found there nearly all the time! Because I have no life...

All the source code is available on GitHub if you'd like to look at it... or fix it, my codes a undocumented mess. you've been warned. Github link!

QuarryWorks!

Spoiler

Intro

I'm excited to announce "Quarry Works"! Because "Earth Works" was taken when I started development! (Also a great mod, go check it out! Link!)

I Hate getting rock in "Vintage Story", I mean I loved the idea behind it but hated the process so I set out to make that more enjoyable by implementing immersive quarrying methods. Besides, who doesn't like digging big holes into the ground!

As of right now this mod brings:

• Four tools, for shaping rock slabs into usable materials such as bricks or polished stone.
  • A whole bunch of stone slabs that can be used as decoration! Or carved up for resources using any of the aforementioned tools.
  • A Plug block that can be used to quarry large areas in relatively short amounts of time, with the simple application of smacking said plugs with a hammer.

GettingStartedIcon.png.af344cb4a4104adca75a8278172fc639.png

99337992_Quarryexample.thumb.png.683dce91496d50f8a68d85552f21eb69.png

If at any point you are lost as to how to proceed check your in game manual, there are two guides on how to advance through this mod and how to acquire each item needed.

Getting started in with Quarry works is fairly simple, but does require a lot of metal, so be sure to have at least reached the copper stage before starting up your quarry. Once there, get yourself some plugs and a hammer. Set the plugs into stone (As shown above, though you can also place them on the bottom of a block.) and hit them plugs with your trusty hammer, if everything has gone well you should see particles pop up on each of the placed plugs, I was always taught that sparks are how you know it's working! Now just go through right clicking on the plugs till they're all set into place and you'll get your first slab of stone! When you first place your plugs you'll be free to move them as you like but once you right click with your hammer all the connected plugs will be made into a network, at which point if you break one plug they'll all break and you'll have to place them down again. This is a feature... yeah...

Once you've gotten your first slab find somewhere to place it down, all but the smallest of slabs are multiblock structures so you may need to find an open space to place it down. Once placed you can right click on it with one of the four tools that are included in this mod to get the resource that corresponds to that tool. If you right click on the slab with an empty hand it should tell you how much stone is left in to be shaped, once all the stone is depleted the slab will break.

If you're one of them creative types there's also a ball of dirt to give your ill-gotten slabs a little more density.

That should be the just of it! Now go out there and get some stone!

PatchNotesIcon.png.8b01ef4787cb7ab242c04895a07d2c12.png

v1.2.4-Beta!

Spoiler

v1.2.4-Beta!
-Took a note out of Tyron's book and patched "Quarry Works" just after release. Crashes are how you know it's working!
-Fixed an issue where right clicking a stone slab would crash the game if you were holding a stick, all should fear the mighty stick of crank.
-Added a ball of dirt that can be used in creative to set the amount of stone that a slab contains.
-Added a creative tab to make finding mod "Quarry Works" stuff easier.

v1.3.3-Beta!

Spoiler

v1.3.3-Beta!

Features:

-Added a brand new "Rubble Storage" blocktool for storing stone, gravel, and sand. As well as for crushing stone to gravel, and gravel to sand. (Can also use a bucket a water on it if it contains gravel.

-Added hud data to the "Rubble Storage" block to display contents. Will be doing the same to the slabs... later.... that code is a mess.

-Added a smithing recipe for making the plugs, now you can have iron plugs! Still no steel though...

Patched:

-Fixed an issue with some servers dropping clients if the client placed a multiblock structure...hopefully. Huge thanks to Monahven and Raccoon for helping with this, it was a pain to nail down.

-Fixed a rendering issue with tool molds when they are stored in the toolmold rack. Once again huge thanks to Monahven! I didn't even know this was a thing.

-Fixed a few typo's in the handbook. not all of them, just enough that it looks like I made an effort.

V1.4.5-Beta!

Spoiler

V1.4.5-Beta!

Features!:

-Added: The Rubble hammer has more use now, not much more but more. It can now break stone and gravel down in the world! Is it helpful? probably not.

Patched!:

-Fixed: A bug caused when placing more than one network of plugs on the same plane. Thanks to ThothTheScribe for pointing out this was a thing!
-Fixed: A bug causing clients to be punted from servers when placing slabs on some server. Still no idea why this only happened on some servers. Thanks to ZigTheHedge for testing my slap-dash patch.

V1.4.8-Beta!

Spoiler

V1.4.8-Beta!

All bug fixes this time around.
-A slew of fixes for the rubble storage. There was a really annoying bug causing a crash any time an item was attempting to be put into storage that only had one code part. Same kind of issue with Items missing Attribute Data. Thanks to QuestionsSleep for finding these and helping with testing them :D
-Another Slew of edge case bugs for the quarry. Fixed a crash when placing more than on plug on the same plane. Fixed another that was causing the quarry to behave oddly if the height of plugs changed across a single plane. A few others I no longer remember. Thanks to ThothTheScribe again for the help on this. I keep fixing bugs and they keep finding more.
-Fixed a bug causing slabs to douplicate them selves when broken. Thank you to ZigTheHedge for catching this!
All told, this patch should help fix alot of the smaller edge cases that were cropping up... hopefully.

Download

QuarryWorks v1.4.8-beta - Rubble Storage For The Masses!

Edited by Wraithhunter
Updating to v1.4.8-Beta! The bugs have been exterminated!...is that a nest??
  • Like 6
  • Cookie time 2
  • Amazing! 4

V1.3.3 is now live! YAY!

Have you ever wanted to make a sandcastle but couldn't find any sand to do so? While now with the patent pending Rubble Storage™ you can! Chuck some stone or gravel into it, smack it with a rubble hammer and Voilà! sand! and gravel too I suppose, but who wants to make a gravel castle? That'd just be dumb, you'd never get it to stick together. Point being you can make gravel or sand with this block! Also it can be filled with 500 of any mix of sand, gravel, and/or stone then picked up and moved! Move-able storage ftw!

Also patched a bug that was causing clients to disconnect from some servers when placing down multiblocks! Hopefully! Huge thank you to Monahven for pointing this problem out to me and to both Monahven and Raccoon for helping with testing to get this fixed! :D

If you want to find a full list of patch notes they can be found above.

As always feed back is appreciated! :D

• Amazing! 2

Keeps kicking me from the server any time i place down a small slab of stone. Still puts it down, I just have to reconnect every time.

got removed. Reason: Threw an exception at the server
21.1.2021 17:47:21 [Error] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemBlockSimulation.TryModifyBlockInWorld (Vintagestory.Server.ServerPlayer player, _FDCeypF8WmCnto5o7nhok5YN9gH cmd) [0x0038d] in <fdc28645804142d4991a7de4219c3f69>:0
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemBlockSimulation.HandleBlockPlaceOrBreak (_VOScRRtAYcHFvBUCVU8Q2cQeB3O packet, Vintagestory.Server.ConnectedClient client) [0x0011b] in <fdc28645804142d4991a7de4219c3f69>:0
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.HandleClientPacket (Vintagestory.Server.ConnectedClient client, System.Byte[] data) [0x0005a] in <fdc28645804142d4991a7de4219c3f69>:0
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.ProcessNetMessage (Vintagestory.Common.NetIncomingMessage msg, Vintagestory.Common.NetServer mainSocket) [0x00156] in <fdc28645804142d4991a7de4219c3f69>:0

This was the log entry in the server log.

23 hours ago, Nozarati said:

Keeps kicking me from the server any time i place down a small slab of stone. Still puts it down, I just have to reconnect every time.

This was the log entry in the server log.

Hey Nozarati!
What version of the mod are you running, and does it happen with the other slabs?

Yep. Can confirm this exception on server:

25.1.2021 15:15:01 [Error] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemBlockSimulation.TryModifyBlockInWorld (Vintagestory.Server.ServerPlayer player, _FDCeypF8WmCnto5o7nhok5YN9gH cmd) [0x0038d] in <fdc28645804142d4991a7de4219c3f69>:0
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemBlockSimulation.HandleBlockPlaceOrBreak (_VOScRRtAYcHFvBUCVU8Q2cQeB3O packet, Vintagestory.Server.ConnectedClient client) [0x0011b] in <fdc28645804142d4991a7de4219c3f69>:0
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.HandleClientPacket (Vintagestory.Server.ConnectedClient client, System.Byte[] data) [0x0005a] in <fdc28645804142d4991a7de4219c3f69>:0
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerMain.ProcessNetMessage (Vintagestory.Common.NetIncomingMessage msg, Vintagestory.Common.NetServer mainSocket) [0x00156] in <fdc28645804142d4991a7de4219c3f69>:0

The most strange thing, server kicks only the player who places the slab down. Everyone around is doing fine.

Running on 64 bit Windows with 16 GB RAM 
Version: v1.14.7 (Stable)1/27/2021 12:23:30 PM: Critical error occurred
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at stoneworks.src.PlugnFeatherBlock.DoPlaceBlock(IWorldAccessor world, IPlayer byPlayer, BlockSelection blockSel, ItemStack byItemStack)
   at Vintagestory.API.Common.Block.TryPlaceBlock(IWorldAccessor world, IPlayer byPlayer, ItemStack itemstack, BlockSelection blockSel, String& failureCode)
   at VSHUD.NewPlacementPreview.Postfix(Block __instance, ItemSlot slot, EntityAgent byEntity)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemMouseInWorldInteractions.OnGameTick(Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Common.EventManager.TriggerGameTick(Int64 ellapsedMilliseconds, IWorldAccessor world)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.MainRenderLoop(Single dt)
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientMain.MainGameLoop(Single deltaTime)
   at _XJ8aPSlEBe0PiHYbVJEdfXv1yjvA._Kgao3H1tkjUV97mMFigKazMDiUo(Single )
   at _QXfAdKxrJ1KaNtwiV64JU2IvnpC._cl7z8c5uEEaIF1fo0XdijiZbRYk(Single )
   at _QXfAdKxrJ1KaNtwiV64JU2IvnpC._peV5mb21IaSJTAYBddj4gA99BDo(Single )
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientPlatformWindows.window_RenderFrame(Object sender, FrameEventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler`1.Invoke(Object sender, TEventArgs e)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseRenderFrame(Double elapsed, Double& timestamp)
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.DispatchRenderFrame()
   at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
   at _03wQBzfCnykaMLiRGgbQzrKOcn3._QN2fpVgRVBDOLs27GIkkdMlxeKf(_a9AJZVMB0wcgfRPD19VvLtZCbaX , String[] )
   at _NdjU5BXvKkfOW2d88pNMbEAjE1q._QN2fpVgRVBDOLs27GIkkdMlxeKf(ThreadStart )

When I aim at a block of grass with a plug in my hand

On 1/26/2021 at 3:03 AM, ZigTheHedge said:

Yep. Can confirm this exception on server:

The most strange thing, server kicks only the player who places the slab down. Everyone around is doing fine.

Yup, having the same issue on my server! Same thing, too. Placing any block causes the client to crash, though the server is fine. Hoping to get this fixed, we really love your mod!

I love and don't love this mod. The immersion for this mod is spot on! It's a cool mod.

I have a problem wit the following:

1. plugs cost 1 ingot but have no durability. Also there is no durability to hammer use when hammering the plugs. I propose that the hammer take durability damage and the plugs have a % chance to break when you make a slab.
2. It takes like 40 seconds to quarry and chisel a 9x9 cuboid and process it into 2.5 stacks of stone bricks. This feels wrong taking a process that had a long process and moving it to the other side of the spectrum and making it too fast.

• Cookie time 1

On the other hand, big builds in survival are possible now without the having to go through massive amounts of self flagellation. Who really enjoys quarrying for hours on end just to run out of bricks when you get half way around the perimeter of your cool tower thats in progress? This mod makes it feasible for a lone person to undertake much larger stone projects without getting bored, in my opinion. Simply make the chisels and plugs have less durability and you can increase the amount of metal investment required; but the whole point of the mod is to cut down on the time invested by investing more metal at the beginning of the process instead of making 17 pickaxes along the way as they break down(along with your spirit to continue the project)

• Like 5

Hi there. we get the following error when we try to set the block down. The player get's kicked, but after a reconnect, we can use the block as intended. The server gives us the following error:

image.png.c4b8d524215ceea8b4c3a1a5349c6038.png

As the others said, only the player placing the blocks down gets kicked. Always.

On 2/3/2021 at 6:49 PM, Tech_Rabbit said:

2. It takes like 40 seconds to quarry and chisel a 9x9 cuboid and process it into 2.5 stacks of stone bricks. This feels wrong taking a process that had a long process and moving it to the other side of the spectrum and making it too fast.

iirc you can change that in the config of the mod 

On 2/3/2021 at 10:49 AM, Tech_Rabbit said:

I love and don't love this mod. The immersion for this mod is spot on! It's a cool mod.

I have a problem wit the following:

1. plugs cost 1 ingot but have no durability. Also there is no durability to hammer use when hammering the plugs. I propose that the hammer take durability damage and the plugs have a % chance to break when you make a slab.

Hey Tech_Rabbit! Thanks for the feedback!

Adding Durability is on my to-do list and your suggested implementation was also my first thought! :D I'm not quite happy with how that feels though so I'm not completely sold on it, I have a few other Ideas I want to try before falling back on random break chances. However! The hammer taking durability damage was something I thought I'd already added, onto the to-do list it goes, should be in the next patch... or the one after that lol.

As for the time needed to quarry, I agree it's currently a little to fast. Though during testing I found making it take more time was frustrating in it's own way since it's a repetitive action that doesn't have a lot of feedback. I'm hoping to implement a more interactive process in the future, at which point I'll probably increase the time required. I'm not too sure where I want to take the slabs though, for now I'm fine with the speed they give items since it's mostly just the same as using the crafting grid with a ~10%(ish) increase to return rates. (though that is adjustable in the tools json file.)

Adjust-ability in general is also on the to-do list, though I think it's somewhere in the middle of said list so it may be a while.

Thanks again! If you have any other suggestions I'd love to hear them!

I had an idea that might slow the whole process down at least a little bit: make it so that the stone slabs don't go into the inventory when picked up but have to be carried in a bag slot (like skeps) and also slow the character down. Or even have it work like CarryWeight, carrying the slab in hands + slower walk speed. Although without carts or other transportation methods it would be a pain to carry slabs from a farther away region with different rocks... 
Either way, it would only be a minor change but it would add a little bit more realism.

14 hours ago, Monahven said:

I had an idea that might slow the whole process down at least a little bit: make it so that the stone slabs don't go into the inventory when picked up but have to be carried in a bag slot (like skeps) and also slow the character down. Or even have it work like CarryWeight, carrying the slab in hands + slower walk speed. Although without carts or other transportation methods it would be a pain to carry slabs from a farther away region with different rocks... 
Either way, it would only be a minor change but it would add a little bit more realism.

A good idea. And there will be no special problems with delivery either, you can always disassemble the stone slabs on the spot and take the finished material

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.