Why bother

Des Main

Started game.. spawned in.. it was night.. immediately dead as there were 3 enemies around me, respawn.. 4 enemies, respawn 3 enemies, respawn 5 enemies... no way i could escape. Playing on wilderness

Finally built a small base on next try.. enemies threw rocks through walls killed me, bear attacked me through walls, next try.. respawn... night... rinse repeat above for next 3 respawns... forget it!!! enough is enough.

lol ahem.  feel your pain...

there was this one world newly created where the spawn point was on a mountain peak, cliffs of death on all sides.  Also happen to be a valid spawn point for a pack of wolves.  each successive death/respawn I was able to take a few steps to fully explore what and where I had actually spawned into. 

eventually after many deaths, made an escape down one of the cliff sides.  fun fun

Spawning in at night when starting a world? I call shenanigans. New worlds always start at 08:00 in the morning.

I've also never once in over 500 hours been attacked through a wall.

Was this on a server? Don't struggle alone, call for help :)

Also, Wilderness Survival is quite literally the hardest mode. If it's too hard, choose a lesser difficulty.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Des Main said:

Started game.. spawned in.. it was night.. immediately dead as there were 3 enemies around me, respawn.. 4 enemies, respawn 3 enemies, respawn 5 enemies... no way i could escape. Playing on wilderness

Finally built a small base on next try.. enemies threw rocks through walls killed me, bear attacked me through walls, next try.. respawn... night... rinse repeat above for next 3 respawns... forget it!!! enough is enough.

Welcome to Vintage Story, although I'm sorry that you're having trouble. If you spawned in for the first time and it was night, it sounds like you jumped right into a multiplayer setting, which will be tougher for a brand new player in some ways. As @Streetwind mentioned, it's best to ask other players for help in that case, or learn some of the basics in a singleplayer world first before venturing back in to multiplayer.

However, if I misunderstood and it was something that happened in a singleplayer world once the sun went down(the player always spawns during daylight in a brand new world)...that can happen, unfortunately, especially on the Wilderness setting(it's more challenging by default than the others). Hostile wildlife can currently spawn at the world spawn, which means that you may have to make a run for it as soon as you're done with character creation if you want to survive. As for the supernatural monsters--those only spawn in darkness underground, during periods of rift activity(provided it's dark enough), or during temporal storms/other cases of extreme instability. The temporal storms always come with plenty of advance warning, and temporal instability isn't really a problem until most of the gear icon is gray instead of teal colored. As for rift activity...the activity level is random and currently can't be predicted. One thing I did when I first started playing the game was go into the world settings and turn on the grace timer for when supernatural monsters start to appear(the rifts will still appear but nothing will come out of them). That gave me time to prepare myself a bit before having to deal with them. There's also other settings you can adjust as desired, and you can also change most of them later in an existing world with certain commands.

As for the enemies attacking through walls--some things are still a bit rough around the edges. One feature of Vintage Story though is that holes in blocks oftentimes count as actual holes, and if they're big enough for a projectile or an enemy to reach through to attack, the enemies will try to take advantage of those openings. Of course, it's also a mechanic that you can leverage to your advantage as well!

• Like 2

I never did bother to try to figure out if they can reach through uncompleted outside corners, i.e., is this structure safe? (Top view, X=full wall-type block)

XXXX
X    X
X    X
X    X
 XXXX

It's disturbing to see drifter arms get through, but I've never actually tried to see if they could deal damage. Even if they can't, it's possible bears can...

2 hours ago, LadyWYT said:

you may have to make a run for it as soon as you're done with character creation if you want to survive.

Or in lieu of. I always hit escape right away and take in my surroundings, and, because there are usually so many trees and bushes that could be hiding wolves or bears, make a run for it. Only once I feel reasonably secure will I consider being distracted by setting up hair color and voice and whatnot. If then... 

[EDIT] 

You can always do character selection later. It will bring up the option again when you rejoin the game, and I'd pretty sure there is a way to bring that back up without exiting and rejoining. Used to be anyway.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Des Main said:

Started game.. spawned in.. it was night..

This won't ever happen in singleplayer, so it sounds like you tried playing multiplayer as your first experience.
While multiplayer can be super fun, I'd recommend learning the basics in singleplayer first.

9 hours ago, Des Main said:

Playing on wilderness

Wilderness is the hardest difficulty. Maybe try setting it a little lower if you're having trouble. Don't worry, lower doesn't mean the game will be easy by any means! It just means you won't be under so much strife. :D

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 1

This seems like 100% user error to me, Everything you've described is a direct result of your own (poor) actions. Starting in Multiplayer, Why? Starting on a server with the hardest settings, Why? Being attacked through walls, No, Doesn't happen. You've really given yourself no chance to enjoy the game and that's really unfortunate. Hopefully you remedy this with maybe watching a few beginner guides. Once you open yourself up to the idea of learning the game you'll very quickly find it to be really, The best in it's field.

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I never did bother to try to figure out if they can reach through uncompleted outside corners, i.e., is this structure safe? (Top view, X=full wall-type block)

I think that structure should be safe, provided there are no openings chiseled(natural or otherwise) into those blocks. Part of the creature model might clip through at the corners but it shouldn't be able to actually attack you. It can be nerve-wracking to witness though, especially if you've already been hugged by a bear!

4 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

You can always do character selection later. It will bring up the option again when you rejoin the game, and I'd pretty sure there is a way to bring that back up without exiting and rejoining. Used to be anyway.

There's a command you can run to change your character, but I'm not sure which one it is. I didn't know you could skip character creation though and do it later--TIL!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Dear RetroTekGuy you should have learned by now how much of a faildog troll you are... please stop as you are embarrassing yourself. Though I could do with a laugh. As to the majority of the players response.. sry I missed details. I am in single player though thanks Thorfinn.. could be the build style fault. I will correct that. Ifoz.. well it does happen.. to me at least. Thanks again guys. RetroTek guy please reply.. I need a laugh at your embarrassment. The mountain top spawn is... well... um...

Edited by Des Main

Update

Drifters spawned in my base

I experimented and built base out in water.. Drifters attacked me through bottom of base. On another occasion a bear head appeared through wall and well you can guess the rest.

? Drifters spawn in areas that are sufficiently dark, and within (I think) 25 blocks of a rift.

Spoiler

I believe you need to have torches every 6 blocks to avoid spawns.

Yes, if you don't leave enough torches in your basement, you will get overrun. Or am I not understanding what your base looks like? Screenshots would help a lot. And so far we've all assumed, but never explicitly asked, no mods, right? What version are you playing? Absolute worst case, create a new game, exit, and put a copy of your savegame somewhere we can access it. What you are describing should not happen, barring something really weird with your specific install/settings.

[EDIT]

On second thought, upload that savefile. Maybe we could figure out what happened.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2024 at 6:33 PM, Thorfinn said:

Only once I feel reasonably secure will I consider being distracted by setting up hair color and voice and whatnot. If then... 

Wasn't there a fairly recent change that stops time during character creation? I've been taking all kinds of time customizing my character, although it could be a case of 'ignorance is bliss'... not to mention that I make liberal use of all scaredy cat customization options.  😉  But i do think there was a change made to allow time for setting up your character without getting killed.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 10:04 AM, Des Main said:

Started game.. spawned in.. it was night.. [snip]. Playing on wilderness

I've never played on wilderness setting and I wonder if you've discovered a bug since you spawned in at night (which is so rare that none of us long-time players have experienced it or seen it in any playthroughs, or ever heard of it happening in a single player world). It may be worthwhile posting in the issue tracker to let them know what happened. If it is not a bug, then I'm sure they'd let you know.

eta: and if it isn't a bug, please let us know too. I'd be very interested to know.

Edited by dakko

I think you might be right, @dakko. That was supposed to be fixed. Guess the Escape then RUN was so drilled into me that I never got out of the habit.

@Des Main, yes, please let us know what it turned out to be. I play Wilderness almost exclusively, and haven't run into it yet. Heck, if it's repeatable, I'm halfways tempted...

• Like 1

@dakko  Either OP is trolling or being less than honest.  First spawn is ALWAYS in the morning on May 1.  Every world I've generated since I started playing on 1.14.10 has been that way and there would have been other comments if it were a sporadic bug.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Either OP is trolling or being less than honest.  First spawn is ALWAYS in the morning on May 1.  Every world I've generated since I started playing on 1.14.10 has been that way and there would have been other comments if it were a sporadic bug.

If OP uploaded their save file I would believe that they may not be trolling, though with the current lack of response I am lead to believe that they were either trolling or being dishonest about their experience with the game, perhaps to make it sound like a rare bug instead of being their fault. (Maybe they wasted their first day and would rather blame it on the game than themselves).

OP, if you are reading this, you should upload your save so we can check it out. I'd be less inclined to doubt the validity of your statements. I do not intend to sound mean-spirited, but the situation that you described sounds highly implausible. There's no shame if you did waste your first day and ended up in a bad position. It's a tough game, we've all been put through the wringer by unlucky circumstances at some point, regardless of skill. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ifoz said:

There's no shame if you did waste your first day and ended up in a bad position. It's a tough game, we've all been put through the wringer by unlucky circumstances at some point, regardless of skill. :)

No joke.  My very first world lasted less than 24 hours.  That first night was pitch black and I learned my first lesson - 2 sticks, 1 flint and 2 grass is the MOST critical goal for the first day on every world.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2024 at 4:50 PM, Thorfinn said:

? Drifters spawn in areas that are sufficiently dark, and within (I think) 25 blocks of a rift.

Hide contents

I believe you need to have torches every 6 blocks to avoid spawns.

Yes, if you don't leave enough torches in your basement, you will get overrun. Or am I not understanding what your base looks like? Screenshots would help a lot. And so far we've all assumed, but never explicitly asked, no mods, right? What version are you playing? Absolute worst case, create a new game, exit, and put a copy of your savegame somewhere we can access it. What you are describing should not happen, barring something really weird with your specific install/settings.

An alternative to this would be an oil lamp which is *almost* as early game as a torch.  By the time your torches extinguish (48 hrs), you should be able to produce a couple of oil lamps to take their place.

Another alternative is the Rustbound magic mod.  The first spell you learn is Transmutation, which, for the price of some mana (i.e. meditation) you get the ability to rekindle extinguished torches.

Finally, if drifters are getting you down, there's a mod which limits drifter spawns to only blocks that have light level 2.  I can attest that it does not ruin the game.  I play video games with a 9 year old and a 6 year old, so I'm pretty much playing solo, in terms of useful output and fighting power.  And I don't want the kids getting discouraged, while still retaining an element of danger.  I find that this particular mod makes drifters somewhat like mobs in that other game, which don't spawn within a 25 block radius (I think it's 25 blocks).  Ruins, mineshafts, etc. are still very dangerous places and require planning and loadouts, but it's not too difficult to make your base a "safe space".

25 minutes ago, caffeine said:

An alternative to this would be an oil lamp which is *almost* as early game as a torch.  By the time your torches extinguish (48 hrs), you should be able to produce a couple of oil lamps to take their place.

Torches are infinite if within an inventory (chest or your inventory/hotbar).  Breaking a torch placed in the world will reset it's extinguishing timer, so technically torches placed in the world are potentially infinite as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.