Temporal Tinkerer (Formerly "useful-locusts") is a mod that aims to implement all sorts of lore-friendly tools and accessories. There are effectively two sources of tech in the mod, a traditional electricity style, and a mysterious "temporal technology". Both technologies are very basic as of now, and the electric tech will be endgame content, however the temporal tech is able to be salvaged from ancient ruins or haywire constructs at any time when you find them. Giving advantage to explorers. There are lots of plans for this mod, including the mixing of both technologies!

General Mod Content Overview:

Spoiler

This mod currently adds:

• Six new ruins including a few variants.
  • Two new swords.
  • Two new multi-tools (pickaxe/shovel etc.).
  • Each version of tool has certain upsides and downsides compared to its counterpart.
  • A new lantern, and two new torches.
  • Many crafting components, both based off of electricity and temporal magic.
  • Repairable tools!
  • Well balanced recipes and functions.
  • Locusts drop items uncommonly (farmable source of some mod crafting components and other vanilla items).
  • Two focused progression paths for each technology, eg: electricity as endgame completely craftable/ temporal stuff from exploration.
  • New junk piles for harvesting modded ingredients.
  • New grid recipes.
  • Several anvil-based recipes.
  • In-game descriptions to items for progression help, lore tidbits, and item explanations.
  • New sounds.

Patch Notes:

Spoiler

Major Updates:

2.2.2-

Balance update for many parts of the mod, cheaper recipes and better tools.

• Fix for 3x3 drill mining, thanks to ZigTheHedge!
  • Russian translations also thanks to ZigTheHedge.
  • Ruins spawn frequency fix/tweak, certain ruins should no longer generate above ground in the sides of cliffs or in the middle of caves, also changed the rate at which all ruins spawn to be less frequent overall, loot from tinker shops has been decreased.
  • New sounds for the temporal tools, new temporal torch idle sound.
  • Buffed damage on both repairable swords, gave the temporal sword slightly longer reach but slightly less durability. heated long blade 4.5 to 5 damage, temporal sword, 5.3 to 6 damage.
  • Added new torch counterpart, the electric torch, acts as a similar counterpart to the temporal torch, meant to be used as a common light source.
  • Completely overhauled many recipes, gated temporal tools behind steel like their electric counterparts, also cheapened a bunch or recipes. Batteries are cheaper, more output from anvil recipes, and now temporal tools require a diamond.

etorch.png.5563fbf42bc29572ad2004243d3d0680.pngbalanc.png.6115e69454e90ec8cfb918f9eaaa9033.png

More Details:

Temporal-Tools Update(x.2.0):

Spoiler

A major update that includes new repairable tools, and the infrastructure for them. Also Includes new ruins!

The new tools-

d3431.thumb.png.8ce22b891d90fa172a913a0dc0b5a4c7.png

All of these new tools fall into two categories: "electric" and  "temporal". The electric tools can be crafted completely from late game materials, like iron or steel, and they are "rechargeable" with batteries in the crafting grid. Temporal tools can be recharged with power cells that you can craft with temporal gears or find in ruins. Temporal tools are not "craftable" because they need an uncraftable component from their respective rare ruin. Once you find a piece of a temporal tool you can fix the tool to a usable state through a grid recipe, but after this you will need to recharge it with cells.

Recharging recipes can repair a tool from any damage level so its more effective to repair low durability tools, watch out though, these tools can still break completely if you are not mindful of their durability!

Tool Description Spoilers:

Spoiler

Electric Tools:

Heated Longblade:

332.png.ae14081f264ec3c391a66f081ffefe65.png

This electric sword packs a punch with 0.5 more damage than an iron sword, its length also gives it much greater reach on par with a spear 3.5m. Offers more durability than an iron sword, but less than a steel sword. It's main drawback is the cost, and its attack tier is lower (4) due to the softer blade.

Electric Mining Drill-

drj54.png.1439e606d46bec4e46b493b49f2f084f.png

This powerful tool allows the user to mine blocks in a 3x3 area, it functions as both a shovel and a pickaxe. It's main drawback is its low battery capacity, only breaking after around 375 uses, but even still you can mine over 3k blocks with one charge and pretty quickly too. Along with it's low durability you will need to recharge it with two batteries, and it mines at a speed of about a copper pickaxe.

Temporal Tools:

3333.png.79ca35ddbd15df0a87bce998f55bdb96.png

This exceedingly rare and extremely powerful blade is not "craftable" as you will need to find its main piece in a rare sword shrine. With the main piece you can "repair" the blade to a usable state. There will be a way to repair the sword fully later on, but even in its fragmented state this sword is incredibly powerful. Offering a damage of 5.4! this blade holds the highest attack damage in the game. This will come at a cost however... Since the blade is still "broken" its durability is very low, almost as low as a copper sword. It's damaged state also reduces the effective range of the sword to a meager 2m. The blade can also be recharged for an average cost of cells.

Temporal Mining Gauntlet-

111.png.8ceadde35d16f4c489c419962523c1d8.png

Even in it's time this energized mining gauntlet was still a prototype, you will need to locate the ruins of an old miner-tinkerer to get your hands on this gauntlets main ingredient. This gauntlet allows the wearer to tear through almost any block with ease, this includes wood. While the gauntlet boasts a very high durability and speed, it will require a lot of power cells to recharge as a drawback, its also pretty pricey.

New Ruins:

Uncover these rare ruins for the fragments of powerful relics!

2342d.thumb.png.26c82a439c2dac00f3ce3e6573aa20d6.png

ddsc3.thumb.png.40b72e966c6dd9faec9e6a79d9040606.png

New Parts:

231.png.20f8eb5cf850b8921aec1f3b856005fe.png

Other small tweaks:

• Reduced the amount of loot that spawns from ancient part piles, it was a bit high, but you now get more power cells when they drop.
  • Fixed "rare" treasure chest ruin from spawning too commonly, now its much rarer. Original ruins are a bit rarer too.

Temporal-Torch Update(x.1.0):

Spoiler

A complete overhaul and content addition to the original mod (and a re-branding), this update includes a new- mysterious mid-game light source, anvil recipe integration, recipes, ruins, sounds, and plenty of strange high-tech components.

Light sources:

Electric-Lantern-                                                                                                                    

lanternnew.png.d341c52a52940f731e3cc86f5e1a7a57.png

Temporal-Torch-

tempddd.thumb.png.9b24523540b370c28e97dbeae2c45ee6.png

Both light sources output tons of light, the electric lantern for example puts out a light level of 30, compared to a lanterns 18. The temporal torch is brighter than candle-lanterns but not as much as the electric one.

Lots of new relics and new parts for crafting:

spcrals.thumb.png.1fe4818d366ccc445a552c134b152e3d.png

Uncover relics from a hidden past, perhaps they were hidden for a reason...

rung.thumb.png.71e496648209f2aaafbc82716172bacd.png

ruinddd.thumb.png.1e96d885de894c07ffedc19ed2e685c1.png

Multiple ways to progress:

dbr.png.405c3b99bc2284fc29f5b51f8211ce14.pngdbfg.png.c2e78d790ee42ae5a5e4969bfcd43ded.png

Battery hulls are now made from working iron ingots on an anvil, they can also be found by sifting through ancient parts.

New universal source for parts:

dggv.png.48756582f8ba7774caf8017887218dd9.png

Locusts drop items:

lob.png.f9df63a53d7ebaaf093a5540526ffdd9.png

Feel free to- suggest anything, build off of the mod, or use these assets in your mods!

All existing worlds with the mod previously installed are compatible with any previous update. You wont loose any items, but you will need to generate new chunks to find any new ruins.

Downloads:

Latest-(1.14):

TemporalTinkerer_v2.2.3.zip

Old Downloads:

Spoiler

(1.14) 2.2.2

TemporalTinkerer_v2.2.2.zip

(1.14) 2.2.1

TemporalTinkerer_v2.2.1.zip

(1.14) 2.2.0

TemporalTinkerer_v2.2.0.zip

(1.14) 2.1.0

Temporal-Torch Update.

Temporal Tinkerer_2.1.0.zip

(1.13) 1.2.0

TemporalTinkerer_v1.2.0.zip

(1.13) 1.1.0

Temporal-Torch Update.

Temporal Tinkerer_1.1.0.zip

(1.13) 1.0.1:

Cleaner lantern update, only has locust drops and the new lantern.

Useful-Locusts1.0.1.zip

(1.13) 1.0.0:

Initial release, has rendering issues with lantern.

Useful-Locusts1.0.0.zip

Edited by Mr1k3
  • Like 6
  • Cookie time 1
3 minutes ago, Bladimiro Herrero said:

This is a very nice surprise. . .perfect excuse to start another world with all the new goodies 😛

I should probably add that all the new content is compatible with existing worlds. So the update is a little more seamless.

• Like 1
  • Mr1k3 changed the title to [1.13-1.14] Temporal Tinkerer. Temporal-Tools Update!
6 minutes ago, Balduranne said:

You should add a chainsaw tool!

Yeah I've definitely though about it while working on this, It would be nice to fell trees quickly and with a repairable tool. For now the mining gauntlet acts like a saw, so it cant fell trees but can mine wood very fast, that was more of a balance thing to not obsolesce axes.

1 hour ago, Bladimiro Herrero said:

I have already found two of the ruins in my world, very nice, lot's of detail and a decent loot table to reflect the rarity and difficulty of the find. would love for them to be bigger and full of traps. Well done and keep them coming, if there is one thing that is missing still from this world is things to discover! 

Yeah I have many, many ideas for "dungeons" or huge arenas, I'd want to have some sort of new enemy and new bosses to go along with it though, the worldedit structures system already supports the spawning of enemies, so that makes things easier. But I'll still need to develop interesting models for these entities, and figure out the ai/ animations for them, and that will take some time.

9 hours ago, Saraty said:

@Mr1k3 Oh my... I'm seriously impressed by the quality of those tools! Making cables so fluent is a lot of fine work. Blade with a rusty wire attached if my favourite. Well done! ❤️

Thanks! @Saraty Yeah the wires take some time, also making them look right took some work, probably the most extensive part of these models. Some parts are kind of rough, but these are like my first "real" voxel-based models. Only made one other model before these and I was just messing around with minecraft armor. So I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

• Like 1

We where as well using "Useful-Scrap". I disabled both, now it's working fine again. Main log does not show anything related to the mod anymore since the content gets deleted regularly by default and contains only stuff after uninstall of the mod. But i guess i just figured the problem. I was using the 2.2.0 version of the mod together with stable 1.13.4 - i guess i should have used version 1.2.0 instead.

55 minutes ago, Kai Effelsberg said:

We where as well using "Useful-Scrap". I disabled both, now it's working fine again. Main log does not show anything related to the mod anymore since the content gets deleted regularly by default and contains only stuff after uninstall of the mod. But i guess i just figured the problem. I was using the 2.2.0 version of the mod together with stable 1.13.4 - i guess i should have used version 1.2.0 instead.

Yeah that would be it, 1.14 changed some major anvil stuff, I'd expect the newer version to cause strange issues with 1.13.

• 2 weeks later...

Just for info: current 2.2.0 version of mod throws error in console on server version 1.14.rc3:

24.11.2020 13:53:31 [Error] [locustmod] Compiler errors during compilation:
24.11.2020 13:53:31 [Error] [locustmod]     src\drill.cs(24): "locustmod.src.DrillItem.OnBlockBrokenWith(Vintagestory.API.Common.IWorldAccessor, Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.Entity, Vintagestory.API.Common.ItemSlot, Vintagestory.API.Common.BlockSelection)": не найден метод, пригодный для переопределения [CS0115]
24.11.2020 13:53:31 [Error] [locustmod] An exception was thrown when trying to load assembly:
System.Exception: Could not compile from source files due to errors
   в Vintagestory.Common.ModCompilationContext.CompileFromFiles(ModContainer mod, IEnumerable`1 paths)
   в Vintagestory.Common.ModContainer.LoadAssembly(ModCompilationContext compilationContext, ModAssemblyLoader loader)
24.11.2020 13:53:31 [Warning] One or more source code mods failed to compile. Info to modders: In case you cannot find the problem, be aware that the game engine currently can only compile C# code until version 5.0. Any language features from C#6.0 or above will result in compile errors.

9 hours ago, Digitalr said:

Just for info: current 2.2.0 version of mod throws error in console on server version 1.14.rc3:

24.11.2020 13:53:31 [Error] [locustmod] Compiler errors during compilation:
24.11.2020 13:53:31 [Error] [locustmod]     src\drill.cs(24): "locustmod.src.DrillItem.OnBlockBrokenWith(Vintagestory.API.Common.IWorldAccessor, Vintagestory.API.Common.Entities.Entity, Vintagestory.API.Common.ItemSlot, Vintagestory.API.Common.BlockSelection)": не найден метод, пригодный для переопределения [CS0115]
24.11.2020 13:53:31 [Error] [locustmod] An exception was thrown when trying to load assembly:
System.Exception: Could not compile from source files due to errors
   в Vintagestory.Common.ModCompilationContext.CompileFromFiles(ModContainer mod, IEnumerable`1 paths)
   в Vintagestory.Common.ModContainer.LoadAssembly(ModCompilationContext compilationContext, ModAssemblyLoader loader)
24.11.2020 13:53:31 [Warning] One or more source code mods failed to compile. Info to modders: In case you cannot find the problem, be aware that the game engine currently can only compile C# code until version 5.0. Any language features from C#6.0 or above will result in compile errors.

Yeah I'm going to have to fix that when I get some more time, I've uploaded a patch that removes the 3x3 drilling in the meantime as a quick fix. This one has been working fine in 1.14 so far despite the drill thing and It also has fixes for tools on the toolrack.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure, but it seems like Temporal tinkerer problem| When worldgen create new chunks, sometime this error registered in console:

10.12.2020 17:01:12 [Error] An error was thrown when generating chunk column X=1599,Z=1622 - it will probably not generate correctly!. Exception System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Vintagestory.GameContent.BlockEntityMicroBlock.GetLightAbsorption () [0x00019] in <a3ab14ef20ff4f96ae39f364001d4dd5>:0 
  at Vintagestory.GameContent.BlockMicroBlock.GetLightAbsorption (Vintagestory.API.Common.IWorldChunk chunk, Vintagestory.API.MathTools.BlockPos pos) [0x00017] in <a3ab14ef20ff4f96ae39f364001d4dd5>:0 
  at Vintagestory.Common.ChunkIlluminator.SunLightFloodNeighbourChunks (Vintagestory.API.Common.IWorldChunk[] curChunks, System.Int32 chunkX, System.Int32 chunkY, System.Int32 chunkZ) [0x00308] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0 
  at Vintagestory.Server.WorldAPI.SunFloodChunkColumnNeighboursForWorldGen (Vintagestory.API.Common.IWorldChunk[] chunks, System.Int32 chunkX, System.Int32 chunkZ) [0x000aa] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0 
  at Vintagestory.ServerMods.GenLightSurvival.OnChunkColumnGenerationFlood (Vintagestory.API.Server.IServerChunk[] chunks, System.Int32 chunkX, System.Int32 chunkZ, Vintagestory.API.Datastructures.ITreeAttribute chunkGenParams) [0x0000b] in <a3ab14ef20ff4f96ae39f364001d4dd5>:0 
  at Vintagestory.Server.ServerSystemSupplyChunks.TryPopulateChunk (Vintagestory.Server.ChunkColumnGetRequest chunkRequest) [0x0010b] in <6dd462367a7f48cda76709e020ce2d8e>:0 

I have only this mod, which modify world generation. If i remove it, all seems OK. Please, can you check structure generation, i believe, chiseled blocks, in some of them, can give this error during worldgen.