Vintage Story Survival Mode Wishlist  

67 members have voted

1. 1. First priority: What should be added first

• Player mechanics, such as skills, nutrition system or exp levels
    • Farming, Seasons, Weather, Animal Husbandry
    • Technical Wizadry, like mechanical power
    • More crafting mechanics, such as leather tanning, cooking, pickling
    • Villages, Trading, Quests, Story, other kinds of NPC Interactions
    • Better Combat (better combat immersion, armor, stronger enemies)
    • Better world gen (climate bands, dungeons, oceans, greater variety, prettier mountains, continent-like distributions of fauna and flora)
    • Transport mechanics (Horses, Boats, Minecarts)
    • More intuitive gaming experience (JEI/NEI, ingame tutorials, ingame crafting guides, etc.)
    • Improved Ingame Map
    • Improved Prospecting or other improvements on ores and metallurgy
    • Improved Playstyles (Peaceful exploration mode, Hardcore survival mode)
    • Improved animal AI
  2. 2. Second priority: What should be added next

• Better world gen (climate bands, dungeons, oceans, greater variety, prettier mountains, continent-like distributions of fauna and flora)
    • More intuitive gaming experience (JEI/NEI, ingame tutorials, ingame crafting guides, etc.)
    • Improved Ingame Map
    • Improved animal AI
  3. 3. Third priority: What should be added after 1. and 2.

• Improved Ingame Map
    • Improved animal AI

This poll is closed to new votes

I think its that time again. Let's see what the community deems most important to work on next! I suppose there is no use of polling on the overall direction, the march wish list showed an overwhelming desire for survival features.

Instead let's use the 3 questions limit to offer you the choice to set your nr.1, nr.2 and nr.3 priority! 

• Tyron pinned this topic

My answers:

1. NEI/JEI - I may be wrong, but I believe the causal player may get frustrated really fast for not knowing what to do. An in-game way to show the player what the item or blocks he has can be used for and how to obtain the items and blocks he wants is a priority.
  2.  World Gen. But not just in the sense of Nicer mountains or having oceans. In the deep sense of having more stone types and better distribution of ores into specific stone types. More tree types, but at the same time not all available in the same place. Vegetation exclusive to biomes and temperatures. The same for animal life.

Mechanical Power - Specifically, because I believe is an Eye catcher for any prospective player. Everyone loves Mechanical power, and it would make easier for Moders to work on top of it and create their own blocks and machines.

I wish I had one more pool, so I could vote on the things that should go to the bottom of the list.

1. Improved Playstyles (Peaceful exploration mode, Hardcore survival mode)  - Not really a priority for me, Unless we would be talking about just a config page with sliders on world creation.
  2. Villages, Trading, Quests, Story, other kinds of NPC Interactions. - Some abandoned Villages would be nice. Do not really like the idea of trading with NPC's, and for some reason, I think it is a lot of work to make NPC's that work as intended. I think it will be great to have them. But they can wait for other features.
  • Like 3

@  Draconicrose, I know right?  I think changing the WG too much at this point would mean remaking/rewriting a lot of existing content to fit.  Personally, I think animal AI needs improvement.  Wolves and Hyenas aren't this aggressive in real life.  They're pack hunters and only attack when they have a number advantage.  A single wolf attacking a human who is 3 to 4 times their weight would only be done in desperation.  They also don't attack everything they see as soon as they see it like they're rabid.  Maybe too much to ask of a video AI though. 

Edited by WillOfStone
  • Like 3

I would have put improved map as second priority, but there were too many other good things in large bunches.   I too am surprised at the strong support for world gen.

24 minutes ago, WillOfStone said:

I think changing the WG too much at this point would mean remaking/rewriting a lot of existing content to fit.

That's only going to get worse the longer that can gets kicked down the road.  It's going to need to change at some point.

• Cookie time 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2018 at 3:49 PM, redram said:

I would have put improved map as second priority, but there were too many other good things in large bunches.   I too am surprised at the strong support for world gen.

That's only going to get worse the longer that can gets kicked down the road.  It's going to need to change at some point.

Okay, if it's a planned thing, then yes sooner is better. Seems like that would be a given without needing to vote on it, to me.  Tyron is just too good at laying out all the options for us.  I feel spoiled. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DaveDevil said:

as a priority I would add some type of waypoint system to the map!

It actually does have waypoints but you have to type in commands to use them.  So they still need work.  But if you find the post in the News section for the maps update,  somewhere in there Tyron gives instructions for using waypoints.

1 hour ago, redram said:

It actually does have waypoints but you have to type in commands to use them.  So they still need work.  But if you find the post in the News section for the maps update,  somewhere in there Tyron gives instructions for using waypoints.

Oh wonderful! There's so many things I don't know... I better sit and read all the old threads, then maybe I can be more useful in the wiki

NO SHARKS.
The only thing they do is to make underwater off limits to all players. 
If sharks behave in real life the same way they do in modded Minecraft, humans would never have explored the oceans.
I live in Florida, and there have been swimmers bitten by sharks. It happens every year. 
Let's say the chance is one in a million swimmers a year. Not sure about the exact numbers. 
But I definitely do not want a mob that makes swimming prohibitive. 
I want to have corals and fish, but no shark. There is no defense from a shark when you notice it, it is already killing you.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 7:30 PM, DaveDevil said:

Oh wonderful! There's so many things I don't know... I better sit and read all the old threads, then maybe I can be more useful in the wiki

I've made a wiki page for that now: https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Worldmap

21 hours ago, tony Liberatto said:

NO SHARKS.

Well then, dear tony, how are we then supposed to add rare Sharknado events?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about it, a harsh winter could be just the thing to keep the tension going a bit...have to stock up before your food is covered under.

Then you can be really nast and add pests, rats and mice. Then add cats and rat terriers lol. And mouse traps.

Then spring floods...would that even be possible? Maybe if the game records the base level of water source blocks and some how adds new source blocks on top in the spring, though I'm not sure how would you make the blocks go down again? Special timers on those source blocks? Flooding is a major bane of civilization though (and pests, mold etc)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose better world gen could lead into other improvements.  Once climate bands and seasons are in place farming, seasons and weather would be the next natural step which would in turn pave the way for mechanics like seasonal crops, food preservation and clothes making for winter weather (if those are going to be a thing).

On 10/17/2018 at 1:53 AM, Exscorbizorb said:

I suppose better world gen could lead into other improvements.  Once climate bands and seasons are in place farming, seasons and weather would be the next natural step which would in turn pave the way for mechanics like seasonal crops, food preservation and clothes making for winter weather (if those are going to be a thing).

Indeed. In my humble opinion, there should be a ground-up chain of updates, starting from the obvious foundation of a solid world-gen. 1.8 should give us world generation that actually generates what feels like a real world and not a random agglomeration of parameters. Climate bands, continents with local fauna flora, seasons, oceans, etc, with a way to preview the world through something like ForgeAmidst .
1.9 would then intuitively follow with content that takes advantage of seasons, so temperature, thirst, heat/cold and craftable cloths/armor(please make the armor 3d) 
1.10 could be the farming update which would take advantage of the new cloth/armor system, as well as what you said about food preservation with cheese-making and stuff like that

Spoiler

1.11 could be the ship update... shhh

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, I am too late :D

Anyway, my personal preferences atm are

1. Transport
    Because in the end-game the number of possibilities and blocks increases, and game adds more new things, and it is now harder to explore land and get goodies home.
    Need to carry food (several kinds to not become HP-weak), tools, poulticies, bucket, torches, ladders. Need to carrry back ores, rare dungeon blocks, loot, berries/flowers, rich soil, animal drops, ...
    Or if I want to get enough rocks to have enough of cobble blocks of each color, it will take me lot of time and routine running to get them all from their biomes.
  2. Better labelling (item frames, better visible signs)
    Storage grows and it is not easy to make it comfortable to use. Placing signs separate from chests takes extra space. And low-contrast signs put stress on my eyes, altho they are awesome with all the text editing abilities and general fit into the game theme.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Multiplayer Master Server (listing)

When creating a dedicated server, this option auto-registers that server with the Master MP List server via a REST API call upon server startup.

The Master MP server verifies that the server invoking its 'RegisterMe' method is indeed a valid VS server after a minute - with a direct stateless 'ServerBriefInfo' call (on the dedicated server).

Reoccurring every ## time units the M.MP will re-poll all known servers - to collect metadata, player count, ping, version info / mods, region, public/private, ect...

The client UI then requests the M.MP for its Master Listing, filterable by version, region, uptime, activity, ect... and will update individual entries with the 'ServerBriefInfo' call when detailed info is requested.

On shutdown of a Dedicated server - it Invokes the 'UnregisterMe' method, no sense to leave defunct servers in the list to be cleared out.

Sine NOBODY wants to dig through forums for server names / IPs.

• 9 months later...

I am too late. But anyway, here are my picks.

1. Villages, Trading, Quests, Story, other kinds of NPC Interactions. One of the only good things about MC was when you would be exploring and see a village in the distance (even though those villages always turned out to be sooo dull).  Villages would be nice, friendly locations for players to come across. Don't make the villages solely about trading though. I understand you would have to simple, but eventually you could work up to more advanced villages. Possibly something like the Millenaire MC mod.

2. Farming, Seasons, Weather, Animal Husbandry. I believe this would add a lot of depth to the game.

3. Better Combat (better combat immersion, armor, stronger enemies). I feel like combat needs to be updated in general, but specifically stronger enemies. You could tie this into the village update by creating bandits or barbarians. These would be great because they could use the same weapons as players and could have some sort of base.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.