StepUp v1.2.0

copygirl

This is just a very simple mod that doubles the step height of players (from 0.6 to 1.2) so they can walk up blocks without having to jump.
Built for 1.14 but might be compatible with other versions. (As long as the existing order of behaviors isn't changed.)

Download
StepUp-v1.2.0.cs
[ VSModDB ]

To install the mod, simply place the .cs file into your Mods folder.
You can get there by going to the Mod Manager in the main menu and clicking Open Mods Folder.

Changelog
v1.2.0 - Now actually works just on client (and comes as a single .cs file!)
v1.1.0 - Now works if just installed on the client (not required on server)
v1.0.0 - Initial release

Edited by copygirl
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, l33tmaan said:

I'm not sure how much work you're planning on doing to this, but if you could somehow make it so that I could climb a 2 block wall by jumping at it, then I bet it'd feel even sweeter.

I'm a big fan of the Smart Moving mod in Minecraft, but that would be a much more involved change and I'd have to dig into the movement internals of the game, so I doubt it.

Edited by copygirl
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, copygirl said:

I'm a big fan of the Smart Moving mod in Minecraft, but that would be a much more involved change and I'd have to dig into the movement internals of the game, so I doubt it.

Oh I know how you feel, smart moving was one of the must have in MC. It was awesome to use it in Terrafirmacraft too. That's a shame though, somebody should definitely make something like that in Vintage Story, I miss diving from very high places :3

Perhaps an easier alternative would be more like a "wall-jump" mechanic. Where-by you jump and if against a block, you press jump again which pauses you mid air for a split second, release the jump button and get a small extra jump to get up that second block height. Sadly, most Minecraft wall-jumps default to a second key press. I end up rebinding it to the jump key (space) and get a very simple and ituitive use of it. Many a wall jump allows the use of it infinitely on opposing walls, or holding the jump to just slowly slide down the wall but I would image leaving it simple with a single jump only would be a great boon.

Either way, thank you for StepUp. Is this a client side only mod or does it work only if a server has it too when playing on a server?

13 minutes ago, Vallen said:

Either way, thank you for StepUp. Is this a client side only mod or does it work only if a server has it too when playing on a server?

I did the same mistake as Farmland Drops Soil and did not think about that until after I had already released it, making it required on client and server. The behavior exists on both, so I patched the step height on both sides, but I'm not sure if it has much of an effect on the server. It could be turned into a client-only mod without much worry, as I don't think it provides any benefit. Unlike Minecraft I don't think jumping itself uses up satiety.

• copygirl changed the title to StepUp v1.1.0
20 minutes ago, Vallen said:

I personally would appreciate it being client side only as I don't want to force the players to need it and as a player, I want to have the option. Is there a way to turn it on/off in game?

Done. I haven't looked into mod configuration yet. Should do that at some point. Disabling mods is pretty easy so since this is a single-feature mod I don't think that's necessary. It would only complicate things unnecessarily.

Just now, l33tmaan said:

I just tested this out and it works on my singleplayer world, but not on the multiplayer server I visit. We're both on 1.13.4, could that be the discrepancy? 

It could very well be that the step height is a property that's synchronized from the server to client. I think I might have to turn this into a code mod, after all.

• copygirl changed the title to StepUp v1.2.0
14 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

Don't you hate it when that happens? 😄

I do! Well, anyway. I just changed it so it's a code mod (in a single source file, check it out!) that overrides the step height when spawning and verified it by hopping on the official test server. All should be fine now.... hopefully.

13 hours ago, copygirl said:

It could very well be that the step height is a property that's synchronized from the server to client. I think I might have to turn this into a code mod, after all.

It would be weird if it worked only on the client.  So you can set the height to 100 and walk on the mountain 😅

Edited by DArkHekRoMaNT

Hello copygirl! I like this mod a lot.

A question: do you think it's possible to set this mod with a player speed of 1.3x of current speed only when doing a step, clientside? Or does it need to be serverside? I say this bc I kinda explained on Discord why the stepup feels "slow" even with stairs and ladders (you walk the hypotenuse, roughly, not the block itself). This is the basic explanation. If you think it's easy, I would love to see that in the mod.

unknown.png

Edited by Zaldaryon
correct image

4 hours ago, Zaldaryon said:

A question: do you think it's possible to set this mod with a player speed of 1.3x of current speed only when doing a step, clientside? Or does it need to be serverside? I say this bc I kinda explained on Discord why the stepup feels "slow" even with stairs and ladders (you walk the hypotenuse, roughly, not the block itself). This is the basic explanation. If you think it's easy, I would love to see that in the mod.

I think this is what I tried doing one time by modifying the movement code directly. With it, stepping up becomes instant, and only the camera lags behind a little. The idea would be to slow down the player a little bit when stepping up and recover the speed over time. It would not exactly be linear but from my tests it could still feel fine. Unfortunately it was only a cobbled together WIP thing and I did not feel knowledgeable enough with the codebase to rip out the current ladder-like step-up code that it replaced.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Jena Jinx said:

Is there a change to get this in a zip file?  I can't seem to get this to open

Open? You just place it in your mods folder.

edit: I will add some information to the first post for anyone who doesn't know what to do with the file.

Edited by copygirl

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.