Can't Sleep Through Temporal Storm

Bastez
Go to solution Solved by Philtre,

6 hours ago, Bastez said:

I get a message telling me I can't sleep during a storm - or 'I won't be able to wake up'!

Well, that's kind of terrifying. Is the implication here that you'll be swarmed and killed by drifters, or.... something worse?

Edited by l33tmaan

Thanks for the replies even if it makes me like the temporal storm idea even less than I do at present. I think the new rifts are good and I don't mind stronger enemies appearing underground or in 'bad' areas but the regular 'invasion' that can't be protected against (apart from the silly idea of encasing yourself in a 2x1 cube or sleeping through it) is for me a big minus in an otherwise great game. You can't even do the equally silly 'standing on a nerd pole' now unless it's very high and even then there are no guarantees.

In this play-through the first storm came just as I was getting back to base which is why I couldn't sleep. I have no proper armor and only spears as weapons. A tainted drifter almost immediately spawned in my base (with slab floor and well lit). I managed to kill it with about half a bar of health left myself. I entombed myself for fear of another appearing and had to waste time in that state until the storm ended. Safe to say it ruined the entire night's plans and those of the next day since regen is so slow.

• Cookie time 1

4 hours ago, Philtre said:

Yes, temporal storms are even more of a pain now. You do have the option of turning them off, although I think that also disables rifts (?), and thus essentially disables surface drifters.

I discovered this myself earlier so I started a new game... I'm only a few minutes in so can't say if rifts are also disabled but I hope not.

First thing....it's a great game which I have thoroughly enjoyed in several sessions over the last few years but....and this is my big "but"....why am I commenting here rather than playing the game?....it is of course because a Temporal Storm is playing out on the server (or the last bush meat I ate was really off) so now I just don't play until it passes. I don't think a feature that causes a player to not play is generally a good feature...but that could just be me....thanks again so much to the designers and developers of this fine game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@gibbelblonk You can turn them down or off in the customization menu at world creation, or with an admin command in an existing world.

/worldconfig temporalStorms [off|veryrare|rare|somtimes|often|veryoften]
/worldconfig tempstormDurationMul value

Note that this is separate from the temporal stability mechanic in general. You can have stability on but storms turned off.

Always reload your world after entering /worldconfig commands.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2022 at 12:25 PM, Streetwind said:

Note that this is separate from the temporal stability mechanic in general. You can have stability on but storms turned off.

Sadly not the other way around, turn off stability and you'll never experience a storm. Something I still don't understand as drifters spawn even with stability turned off, and the massive drifter spawns in midair are the key feature of temporal storms as of now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2022 at 11:00 AM, Bastez said:

Thanks for the replies even if it makes me like the temporal storm idea even less than I do at present. I think the new rifts are good and I don't mind stronger enemies appearing underground or in 'bad' areas but the regular 'invasion' that can't be protected against (apart from the silly idea of encasing yourself in a 2x1 cube or sleeping through it) is for me a big minus in an otherwise great game. You can't even do the equally silly 'standing on a nerd pole' now unless it's very high and even then there are no guarantees.

In this play-through the first storm came just as I was getting back to base which is why I couldn't sleep. I have no proper armor and only spears as weapons. A tainted drifter almost immediately spawned in my base (with slab floor and well lit). I managed to kill it with about half a bar of health left myself. I entombed myself for fear of another appearing and had to waste time in that state until the storm ended. Safe to say it ruined the entire night's plans and those of the next day since regen is so slow.

I just noticed that even 2x1 cube dont work. They spawn inside that cube aswell. If you don't have a chisel you can't protect yourself. Not sure if ladders inside that cube helps?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fredrik Blomquist said:

I just noticed that even 2x1 cube dont work. They spawn inside that cube aswell. If you don't have a chisel you can't protect yourself. Not sure if ladders inside that cube helps?

You can use stairs and half-slabs to make a space that has enough room to stand in but includes no full-size empty blocks (put two stairs facing each other, extend the "walls" on either side with vertical half-slabs, more stairs as a roof, block off the other two sides with full blocks).

Edited by Philtre
typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2022 at 2:33 AM, baba said:

I used to hate temporal storms and hid during them

but now I arm myself and try to kill those double headed drifter things since they drop a lot of gears

I look forward to temporal storms now

Yeah, but the fact that they can spawn literally on top of you doesn't make for fair play if you're in permadeath mode, especially given the rudimentary combat.

• Wolf Bait 1

16 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

The only time drifters spawn on top of me is if I'm standing still on a spawnable block.  Maybe you should not be so sedentary during a temporal storm?

or you can hide underground somewhere in your cellar or basement 

i am not sure but i dont think they spawn like that underground, they never spawned so close to me when i was in my cellar 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.